SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Reapers is growing on me, and it's pretty much uncontested in ownership. 

But, as a great marketing mind, you missed it: Drop the first "e" as opponents will surely do.

Ah, no. I like it, but it's not a good choice. 

Looks like some names were either left on or off either list due to spelling errors, so perhaps a keyword search used to sort names is partly to blame for some of the confusion. i.e. Berserkers is under consideration, while Berzerkers is not. And Roughriders is not under consideration, but a misspelled version of Roughriders made the under consideration list.

Aviators

Cavalry

Green Machine

Barons

Pilots

Not a fan of the cold weather names.  Not sure how a golf or baseball team would feel about being the Blizzard or something like that.  Too bad it looks like Roughriders isn't an option, that'd probably be my favorite.

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3737515-und-releases-potential-nickname-suggestions

Translated: Both lists are a bunch of hokum slap-dazzled together to meet (or head off) freedom of information act requests for now and the foreseeable future. So don't believe anything you see on either list. 

This is my read, too.

"They" reconvene tomorrow at 6 p.m.at Twamley 404.... bring your own popcorn.  :p

I picture a name on a board with a panel of judges holding up score cards 1-10.

From a secret hidden camera tucked away in Twamley 404 ...

review1-resized-600.png

• Upvote 2

The hypocrisy of UND is amazing. Cannot mention the name Fighting Sioux anywhere on its website but yet publish the most vulgar and offensive language anyone has ever laid their eyes on. Geez. 

Not hypocrisy. Just being overly transparent -- to a fault.  :sad:

The hypocrisy of UND is amazing. Cannot mention the name Fighting Sioux anywhere on its website but yet publish the most vulgar and offensive language anyone has ever laid their eyes on. Geez. 

UND released the list as-is, unedited as given to them from the consulting firm that collected it to prevent anyone from claiming they were not being transparent in the process.  The uproar if UND would have done anything to the list, even if it was just cleaning up language, would have invited even more conspiracy theories than there already is.  Honestly not even sure to what point they would have been able to censor it because of open record laws.

More than anything, it provides sad commentary at what people will say when they feel they are anonymous.  I'd guess a few rival fans wouldn't have been so specific on where they were from if they knew it was going to be released to the public.  I'm sure NDSU and UM are proud to see their name get attached to this because some of their fans submit vulgar names and then specify which institution they support in the reason section.

• Upvote 2

There are some that they could remove even before it going to the commitee.  2's, 2%ers, 4 x 4's, Blue Unicorns, Dirt, Cube, Flat, Ice Augers, Rocks, Seminoles, Trees, etx....I mean come one.  Are those even worth bringing to the commitee?  .  Take out horrible names like the ones I mentioned and remove the duplicates, and the list looks a little less daunting.

UND released the list as-is, unedited as given to them from the consulting firm that collected it to prevent anyone from claiming they were not being transparent in the process.  The uproar if UND would have done anything to the list, even if it was just cleaning up language, would have invited even more conspiracy theories than there already is.  Honestly not even sure to what point they would have been able to censor it because of open record laws.

More than anything, it provides sad commentary at what people will say when they feel they are anonymous.  I'd guess a few rival fans wouldn't have been so specific on where they were from if they knew it was going to be released to the public.  I'm sure NDSU and UM are proud to see their name get attached to this because some of their fans submit vulgar names and then specify which institution they support in the reason section.

I was just talking about this very thing with a co-worker... and your explanation was my best guess, too.  I just wished that there would have been a happy medium on the lag time between the time the lists arrived from the outside agency to the time it was released publicly, at which point better vetting could have taken place and some of the confusing matters that are confounding people today could have been cleared up and alleviated. I think it should have been released today rather than immediately after it was received. Just my 2 cents. 

I do realize, however, that someone could then accuse UND of manipulating the data... so damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I think they did the right thing by presenting all of the suggestions.  Sometimes a good policy is to bleep out the obviously vulgar names, but then it becomes a game to try to sneak vulgarities in.  I kind of like the complete and total transparency, because I don't think it makes the school look bad, but rather the people who submit bad names.  Transparency shows the huge amount of sincere submissions and garbage that the committee needs to sift through. 

As an aside, I'll say this as a neutral outsider.  Whether you loved the old mascot or not, change is exciting and this is a really cool process.  The resistance I see is probably less about losing the old name than it is about the tradition of having an old name.  One can argue about the reasons for changing it, but that ship has sailed and you're really in an exciting process to start a new tradition.  I hope people will start to embrace that and start thinking positively about new names.  You're starting a new chapter of school history, and that's a pretty awesome thing.

And now I'll offer a quick side story. I did some research on a university name change a few years ago.  The name was being changed purely for marketing reasons (and with good cause) and my company was brought in to do some specific research on a set of three potential names that they'd come up with.  We did the research and were at the Board of Trustees meeting waiting to present it, in front of a crowd of 400 or 500 people.  I was sitting in the audience while the Board was talking and setting the stage.  An elderly woman turned around in her seat and looked at me with a friendly smile.  

"Are you the one doing the research on the names?" she whispered.  

"Yeah."

"They're all crap."  Then she turned back around.  I couldn't help but laugh.  

• Upvote 1

Transparency: 

The school also released names that had been excluded because they were profane, their domain names weren't available or they would have conflicted with NCAA policy. Johnson said releasing the profane names might elicit complaints, but the school wanted the process to be as transparent as possible.

Fixed your fix.   :p

One can only put so much mayo on chicken sh*t and try to pass it off as chicken salad but in the end it is still a pile of crap..............kind of like this whole process.

One can only put so much mayo on chicken sh*t and try to pass it off as chicken salad but in the end it is still a pile of crap..............kind of like this whole process.

It certainly is the proverbial "sausage being made" isn't it? 

I could stand corrected......Maybe just maybe (hopeful) they posted all this rubbish to show how idiotic this whole process is. By that I mean, make a huge change to satisfy the few. 

Yeah, but the few won.