SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You will need to talk to McDonald if you would like one person on the commitee to single handedly eliminate a choice; he's the only member who wields that much power.

I think your assumption that people who want North Dakota are hockey only fans, is extremely inaccurate.

Actually, having sat through a lot of these committee meetings,  I would say that McDonald is one of the least vocal and influential in the room (actually, he's seldom in the room.... he attends via teleconference). It would be a close race between him and the staff representative on the panel. Lowell Schweigert always seems to be the most vocal and engaged... him and Bridewell.  

From the article dmksioux linked in the previous post:

Blaze

Cavalry

Explorers

Fighting Green

Fighting Hawks

Force

Green Hawks

Nodaks

North Dakota

North Stars

Pride

Roughriders

Spirit

Sundogs

Thunderhawks

I CANNOT believe Warhawks didn't make the cut but Pride...Spirit....and Sundogs did. And Force....really?! I like the Force nickname but do we really need to copy the name of the Fargo Force?! Just a waste of a pick if you ask me.

I CANNOT believe Warhawks didn't make the cut but Pride...Spirit....and Sundogs did. And Force....really?! I like the Force nickname but do we really need to copy the name of the Fargo Force?! Just a waste of a pick if you ask me.

Exactly

I can live with:

Cavalry

Fighting Hawks

ThunderHawks

NoDaks

Force

Explorers

North Stars

I definitely DO NOT WANT

North Dakota

Blaze

Fighting Green

Pride

Spirit

SunDogs

Roughriders

Beats me why they keep leaving North Dakota on the list.   We know the NCAA won't allow it and at any rate, it's not good business to go down that road again.

Since you are on record as saying that "Fighting Sioux" is racist, any opinion of yours must be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

Time for someone on the committee to step up and take North Dakota off the list. Shouldn't be an option. This committee needs to think about the long term effects that has on UND. Don't care what the hockey only fans or the hockey only writers think, would be a big mistake for the school. Roughriders or Cavalry will do just fine. Time to move on.

I agree. Just having North Dakota shouldn't be an option, why not have Fighting Nodaks instead.

• Upvote 1

Let's walk the list: 

Blaze - someone missed the smoking of elicit substances issue with this one, or Glen Beck's network (that liberals hate)

Cavalry - there actually was cavalry in ND

Explorers - oh, goody, "the X Men", but that's sexist

Fighting Green - the fighting green what ... two adjectives do not make a nickname 

Fighting Hawks - when do they play the mighty ducks?

Force - mass times acceleration; Glen Lykken and Bill Schwalm submit this one?*

Green Hawks - so, follow Miami (Red Hawks) and Dickinson State (Blue Hawks); how imaginative and novel

Nodaks - that's an abbreviation, not a nickname (will the Gophers follow and rename as the Minns?) 

North Dakota - as I've said, no nickname is not a nickname

North Stars - not in favor of a neighboring state's nickname (unless Rushmores gets added to the list) 

Pride - it's not just one of the seven deadly sins anymore

Roughriders - some don't like it, I get it, but it follows the TR image of (especially western) ND

Spirit - did Hal Gershman submit this ... wine and Spirits ... I thought they wanted fewer alcohol inferences on campus

Sundogs - just no; the group that started this mess submitted this mess; flat out divisive at this point

Thunderhawks - Southern Utah anyone ... anyone ... and their thunderbirds, no thanks; and if Nokota is too native so is thunder(any bird) **

*We'll pick out the folks that hung around Witmer Hall fast now, won't we. 
**And thunderbird is ... alcohol ... < gasp! > 

I want Pride off the list, that was the finalist name with Knights we at GF Central had to vote for. A pride is a pack of lions, I would rather be called the Lions than Pride.

mqdefault.jpg

Some folks on a rival site seem to think "Pride" would be a great choice...we can celebrate North Dakota's tolerance and diversity and free ourselves from the chains of racism forever!

• Upvote 1

I want Pride off the list, that was the finalist name with Knights we at GF Central had to vote for. A pride is a pack of lions, I would rather be called the Lions than Pride.

Welcome to the Hofstra experience.

They dropped "Dutchmen". They went to "Pride", just a wordmark so everyone could have their own "interpretation" of it (are you listening Karl Goehring?).

Everyone hated it ... until they added a (wait for it) lion/lioness logo. 

ath_image02.gif

I've bee a vocal critic of Roughriders, but it seems pretty obvious, even to me, that it's the best option remaining.  And I generally agree that a new nickname is better than no nickname, but honestly, when compared to this list, no nickname is not a bad option.  

For me:

1) Roughriders - I don't like that we're copying the local high school team, but it's an official nickname of the state and is pretty unique

2) Cavalry - I like it in theory, but the confusion with Calvary can't be ignored.  About half the people on this board spell it wrong, and probably say it wrong too.  On the other hand, a lot of people spelled Sioux wrong too (but at leas it was easy to pronounce).

3) North Dakota

The remaining options are all unacceptable in my opinion.

What truly frightens me is that with all the really bad nicknames in the Final 15, at least one of them is sure to make the Final 3.  And when that happens, look for outside interests to wreak havoc with the public voting process.

• Upvote 1

The one that was a real wildcard to me, in terms of being the least expected to make this cut, was explorers. I expected plenty that I consider bad (sundogs, pride, spirit) to make the cut, but that's the survivor that was least on my radar.

After giving it some thought, it made my personal "acceptable" list because it's unique, is a person (not a feeling or weather phenomenon), is nicely affiliated with the state, and has the potential for a cool logo.

However, it's horrible in chants and announcements and has no obvious short version that can be worked into chants. (Interestingly, not being able to be shortened is actually considered a positive according to the committee's criteria).

I remember that fiasco, Sicatoka. Almost as bad as Marquette's near re-brand from "Golden Eagles" to "Gold."

Marquette was an epic cluster. I fear their #1 ranking on that list may, however, be in jeopardy. 

Back to Hofstra: Their school seal has two lions on it. It was a clear miss from the start ... or the fix was in to put Pride in place and add the lions later. Either way, Hofstra came out pretty well. 

I wish UND would have had "Torch" on their final list: it's in the school seal, "the light of knowledge", it fits with the flame logo, it fits with the school motto "lux et lex" (light and law). 

Well the list doesn't look as bad when pared down to 15. Pretty easy to get to 6 I think.

Blaze-no

Cavalry-no

Explorers-3

Fighting Green-no

Fighting Hawks-no

Force-no

Green Hawks-4

Nodaks-no

North Dakota-1

North Stars-2

Pride-6

Roughriders-5

Spirit-no

Sundogs-no

Thunderhawks-no

The one that was a real wildcard to me, in terms of being the least expected to make this cut, was explorers. I expected plenty that I consider bad (sundogs, pride, spirit) to make the cut, but that's the survivor that was least on my radar.

After giving it some thought, it made my personal "acceptable" list because it's unique, is a person (not a feeling or weather phenomenon), is nicely affiliated with the state, and has the potential for a cool logo.

However, it's horrible in chants and announcements and has no obvious short version that can be worked into chants. (Interestingly, not being able to be shortened is actually considered a positive according to the committee's criteria).

Pretty much my thoughts as well. They would be able to use an X by itself or X's for quite a bit of cool apparel and design ideas.

Actually, having sat through a lot of these committee meetings, I would say that McDonald is one of the least vocal and influential in the room (actually, he's seldom in the room.... he attends via teleconference). It would be a close race between him and the staff representative on the panel. Lowell Schweigert always seems to be the most vocal and engaged... him and Bridewell.

I guess I was just referencing his ability to play the race card and trump everyone else. He could just say staying without a nickname will be racist because people will then still use fighting Sioux.

I've bee a vocal critic of Roughriders, but it seems pretty obvious, even to me, that it's the best option remaining.  And I generally agree that a new nickname is better than no nickname, but honestly, when compared to this list, no nickname is not a bad option.  

For me:

1) Roughriders - I don't like that we're copying the local high school team, but it's an official nickname of the state and is pretty unique

2) Cavalry - I like it in theory, but the confusion with Calvary can't be ignored.  About half the people on this board spell it wrong, and probably say it wrong too.  On the other hand, a lot of people spelled Sioux wrong too (but at leas it was easy to pronounce).

3) North Dakota

The remaining options are all unacceptable in my opinion.

What truly frightens me is that with all the really bad nicknames in the Final 15, at least one of them is sure to make the Final 3.  And when that happens, look for outside interests to wreak havoc with the public voting process.

... and I have been a proponent of Roughriders from the start, but the fact that they can't provide a viable alternative to that name for someone who has issues with it, is to me unbelievable.