SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I'll try make an analogy you might understand. 

Back when you were in the residence halls at ndsu, nearly everyone had their pet goat living in their door room.  Unfortunately, yours died.  ndsu ordered you to get a new goat, or you would be kicked out of school.  But you did not want to bother with a new goat.   And as you pointed out to the administration, your best friend JimBob across the hall did not have a goat, yet he was allowed to live in the dorms and not get kicked out of school.   The End.       

Such a shame you couldnt answer my Slippery Rock question in a civil manner. I was being serious. I didnt know if you were being facetious with the Slippery analogy.

I do agree with your premise that the NCAA requires a new nick name and that was their intent so Sioux couldnt be used anymore.

I'll try make an analogy you might understand. 

Back when you were in the residence halls at ndsu, nearly everyone had their pet goat living in their door room.  Unfortunately, yours died.  ndsu ordered you to get a new goat, or you would be kicked out of school.  But you did not want to bother with a new goat.   And as you pointed out to the administration, your best friend JimBob across the hall did not have a goat, yet he was allowed to live in the dorms and not get kicked out of school.   The End.       

I can't stop laughing...this is the funniest thing I've read in some time.  Kudos

Such a shame you couldnt answer my Slippery Rock question in a civil manner. I was being serious. I didnt know if you were being facetious with the Slippery analogy.

I do agree with your premise that the NCAA requires a new nick name and that was their intent so Sioux couldnt be used anymore.

I had explained what Slippery Rock uses for a nickname.  (Rock)  You then, asked me if the ncaa ever considered their name hostile and abusive.  I interpreted that as a rhetorical, smart aleck question.   I responded in kind.  I refuse to believe that anyone with the cognitive ability to log on to a website would be unsure if a rock- regardless of its adhesive properties- was considered hostile and abusive.

This is off topic anyway.   I'll let it stay on course with all these "great" nicknames everyone is coming up with.   ;-)   

I had explained what Slippery Rock uses for a nickname.  (Rock)  You then, asked me if the ncaa ever considered their name hostile and abusive.  I interpreted that as a rhetorical, smart aleck question.   I responded in kind.  I refuse to believe that anyone with the cognitive ability to log on to a website would be unsure if a rock- regardless of its adhesive properties- was considered hostile and abusive.

This is off topic anyway.   I'll let it stay on course with all these "great" nicknames everyone is coming up with.   ;-)   

I thought it was a great story.  Keep up the Siouxper work.   

Misunderstanding on both sides. mea cupla.

How bout the University of North Dakota Fighting NCAA SUCKS. And our logo can be a giant NCAA logo with a red cross through it. Can throw the interlocking ND on the jersey for good measure. :bigsmile:

I say that often

• 3 weeks later...

It doesnt matter what the new nickname is, they are all going to stink because its not "fighting Sioux" . I know some are going to say "move on" and eventually I will get there, but realize for some offf us this is a grieving process for other reasons. Both my parents passed away and were die hard Sioux fans. My father was very involved in the community, was an adjunct professor and involved in many community endeavors. My parents bled green and loved their "fighting Sioux". For me, the loss of the name is like losing them again. I will support the University and the athletes, but it will take for me to buy into the logo change.

The Kubler-Ross Model

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

I know as a fan base we're individually unique as to where each is at, but as a whole I think we're mainly through depression and moving into acceptance. Getting something (anything) new to rally around* and fully get out of depression is a key step to put the loss behind us as a whole. 

*You can't rally around a nothing because all it does is remind you what was there ... and depress you.