SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

People are buying just ND gear because Sioux gear is getting more and more scarce. You go to stores outside of the Sioux shop at the REA it's tough to find it.

They are buying it because they support UND and want whatever gear has UND naming on it.

• Upvote 1

Well, surveys can tell you anything you want as long as you write them a certain way.

This...^^^

And if anyone took this nickname survey it was very clear it was worded to get some responses that whoever wrote it wanted to get.

This...^^^

And if anyone took this nickname survey it was very clear it was worded to get some responses that whoever wrote it wanted to get.

I hear ya!

Kind of like when individuals and the media site the vote where the people of North Dakota voted down the measure to keep the Sioux name as evidence to suggest that North Dakotans want our name to no longer be the Sioux.

Well, surveys can tell you anything you want as long as you write them a certain way.

I won't argue that, but it I find it to be at least a little more credible than someone randomly claiming the opposite with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Ok, so here's an idea.

IMO, the best logos are simple.  For example, I think the Vikings have the best helmet in the NFL.   Simple and straight forward.  It's easily recognizable from a distance as well as still looks good close up.

So, how about taking on the nickname of the "Black Stripes"?   We're all familiar with the little black rectangle (censor bars) that censors out sensitive body parts on tv.

Well, the NCAA censored UND's nickname.  So we stick a simple black stripe on our football helmets and across the front of our hockey jerseys.  Call ourselves the "Black Stripes" (hey, really think the "Red Sox" was all that cool when it was first proposed?).

Seems given the apparel deal recently confirmed, dagies gets his way no matter what. :D

Per Sioux Football Insider, UND will be wearing adidas gear next year.  New home and away uniforms starting the upcoming season.

Current Adidas logoadidas_logo01.gif

From the "Not This $%!# Again" file:

It’s been reported previously that Rep. Scott Louser, a Republican from Minot, would be filing a bill to extend the state’s moratorium on a new nickname at the University of North Dakota. Today Rep. Louser provided me with a draft copy of his bill. It’s not available online yet, but he says it will ultimately be numbered HB1155.

“I would suggest that no harm has been brought to the school by not having a nickname and while this solution gives nobody everything they may want, it is a compromise that many can agree to,” Louser told me of the legislation this morning.

As you can see below, it’s pretty simple stuff. It changes the date on the current moratorium from January 1, 2015, to July 1, 2017 (the end of the coming biennium).

Anyone from Minot want to have a few words with their Representative?

Let’s be clear: The “Fighting Sioux” nickname is never coming back. Any new nickname is likely to inspire hostility and resentment. Honestly, I think this moratorium is the best path forward.

No official nickname leaves a vacuum which fans of the school’s teams can fill with whatever nickname they’d like. Probably still the Sioux because, outside of a minority of hypersensitive activists with far too much time on their hands, most people don’t seem to have a problem with the name. Including most Sioux people based on what data we have available to us.

He realizes there's a contractual agreement, right?   

He realizes there's a contractual agreement, right?   

The settlement states "UND shall transition to a new nickname and logo."  The old name was Fighting Sioux and the logo was the Bennet Brien logo. If the name is North Dakota and the logo is ND, this is both a new and different name and logo. Now before you say, but..but, we've always been North Dakota. No we haven't, for 80 years we've been The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. If my given name was John Jacob Jinggleheimer Schmidt and I legally changed it to John Jacob, it would be a new and different name. Carry on....

But no new name will be my name too....unless it's some fabulous name no one has mentioned....well maybe thunder or mallards or pheasants - arrows I could warm up to :' )

But the happy people will always shout GO SIOUX !!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Why not just take the nickname "Fighting Irish" and put the hypocricy on full display.

Once brought that up with an anti-nickname poster somewhere - mentioned Notre Dame's logo and was told it could not in any way, shape, or form be considered racist because the leprechaun is a fictional character. I said I would adopt that same exact logo as UND's logo but give him a tan and was promptly told, "but that's racist!"

You can't make that kind of logic up.

I think the name Fighting Sioux is not ever going to go away. If anything most are more dedicated than ever. It will never be the official name ever again unless the ncaa falls from it's evil empire

I still think just North Dakota is the best option & Kelly needs to move on

I have warmed up to a hand full of names - most recent Nodaks or Nodak Nation with Fighting Sioux being locked in our hearts as the best- Let the name process get over with & let time see if it grows on us

But be prepared for Sioux Forever The next Admin. should just go with the flow & not mess with the hearts & minds of the people - but having someone who really understands the feelings & had a open mind as to what is best for UND would be a major improvement