SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Can't help but note that one of North Dakota's official nicknames is the "Roughrider State" - see:

http://www.nd.gov/content.htm?parentCatID=74&id=Nicknames

Someone help me out because I'm confused...pay attention to the difference...North Dakota is the Roughrider state, but Roosevelt and his crew were known as the Rough Riders? Which one is correct?

Someone help me out because I'm confused...pay attention to the difference...North Dakota is the Roughrider state, but Roosevelt and his crew were known as the Rough Riders? Which one is correct?

It seems to be up to the user.  I see sports teams with Roughriders, RoughRiders, or Rough Riders. 

Neither is correct. They had very little to do with North Dakota. It's at tourism ploy and has Little to nothing to do with our history.

20px-Flag_of_North_Dakota.svg.png North Dakota

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_nicknames

UND did have 2 of those names, and Red River has one out of the remaining two. No thanks to the Peace Makers or Gardeners.  If we have to pick a name dealing with North Dakota as a whole since we represent the state not just a city like Miami or UCLA, I would think it could be anything from Cowboys/Cowgirls (for the women's teams), Oilers, etc from the West to flyers, redskins (potatoes), Warriors, etc from the east.   

20px-Flag_of_North_Dakota.svg.png North Dakota

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_nicknames

UND did have 2 of those names, and Red River has one out of the remaining two. No thanks to the Peace Makers or Gardeners.  If we have to pick a name dealing with North Dakota as a whole since we represent the state not just a city like Miami or UCLA, I would think it could be anything from Cowboys/Cowgirls (for the women's teams), Oilers, etc from the West to flyers, redskins (potatoes), Warriors, etc from the east.   

Peace Makers, and our logo is nuclear warhead with Old Glory and the State Flag on it. Cue up tasteless videos of said logo firing at opponents arena. Too far?

Sorry, I'll take SunDogs over this.

Okay now let's not be ridiculous - I'm going to assume you are exaggerating for effect. Seriously though, it would be a great idea to somehow tie into the Lewis and Clark Expedition, which spent more time in what would become North Dakota than any other state. Logo possibilities abound. An aside - the expedition was largely responsible for establishing the reputation of ferocity for the Sioux Indians. Also the state highway that follows the east side of the Missouri River through North Dakota is 1804, and the one the follows the west side is 1806 - the former being the year they went up river and the latter the year of their return trip.