SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I'm sure after what UND's been through, they'll opt to play it safe and stray away from any nickname that could potentially be taken out of context and offend someone. Smart money says it'll be the Rough Riders, which has close ties to the military.

Smart money? Sure, the first thing you want to do in a college town is alienate 1/2 of its residents by naming the team after one of the two rival high schools in town. Can you imagine the Washington Cowboys? Minnesota Blackhawks? Los Angeles Celtics? North Dakota Green Knights? Neither can I.

• Upvote 1

Smart money? Sure, the first thing you want to do in a college town is alienate 1/2 of its residents by naming the team after one of the two rival high schools in town. Can you imagine the Washington Cowboys? Minnesota Blackhawks? Los Angeles Celtics? North Dakota Green Knights? Neither can I.

As I have said before, if we use this standard for picking a new name, we will have absolutely nothing to choose from because almost every possible name is in use by somebody (high school, college, pros).

I would agree, but I'm not sure I can handle the Herald referring to UND as the "Green and White" much longer. It's driving me crazy. :tinfoilhat:

Well, I brought this up last year and was told not to worry about it. :whistling:

Thankfully, Ryan Bakken (former sports guy) wrote a column telling Wayne Nelson and company to knock it off and (for the most part) they have.

Well, I brought this up last year and was told not to worry about it. :whistling:

Thankfully, Ryan Bakken (former sports guy) wrote a column telling Wayne Nelson and company to knock it off and (for the most part) they have.

I can only imagine what stupid name a committee could come up with... We need to be out front on this one.

• Upvote 2

Kelley had a committee to choose a new name before the whole state law thing came about. I am sure they will go back to that to get all the names on the table and find a way to vote for one. No way can I see the school go nameless longer than 2015. Marketing can't be all that great with just the UND logo and the name North Dakota on jerseys and shirts.

I think you will find marketing will be significantly worse when the sure to be indescribably lame new name is chosen - don't fool yourselves - given who it is that will be doing the choosing it will certainly be indescribably lame.

I can only imagine what stupid name a committee could come up with... We need to be out front on this one.

If you feel that strongly about it...get yourself on the committee when the time comes. Have you ever been on a committee for anything? It's not an easy process and I can guarantee that if and when this process begins it will be incredibly difficult. But of course it's so much easier just sit on your couch and complain about things...heck they haven't even gotten to that point yet and your preemptively complaining. Give me a break. :silly:

• Upvote 3

If you feel that strongly about it...get yourself on the committee when the time comes. Have you ever been on a committee for anything? It's not an easy process and I can guarantee that if and when this process begins it will be incredibly difficult. But of course it's so much easier just sit on your couch and complain about things...heck they haven't even gotten to that point yet and your preemptively complaining. Give me a break. :silly:

Sorry but I would bet money they know who they want on this commitee and the names have already been chosen. Probably many of the same committee members who thought it was a good idea to go around to area businesses and ask those with Sioux in their name to change their name (it was suggested) and ask others to take down their Sioux banners and memorabilia.

I say no new nickname - the concept is antiquated, let's just be North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

I might add, that if and when a nickname does get selected... they will be lucky to have 35% approval. That would be a small victory. The reality is the whatever nickname gets selected someday...most will dislike it immediately, but over time there will be gradual acceptance of it. Of course there will be a percentage that will never accept it, and that's life.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but I would bet money they know who they want on this commitee and the names have already been chosen. Probably many of the same committee members who thought it was a good idea to go around to area businesses and ask those with Sioux in their name to change their name (it was suggested) and ask others to take down their Sioux banners and memorabilia.

I say no new nickname - the concept is antiquated, let's just be North Dakota.

I'm not sure you can assume any of those things. That it will be the same committee members that were on board for the retirement, I think is a reach. Also, you don't know they've already been chosen until you ask...and when you ask, tell them you want to be considered. In fact, I know if I was on that committee, I wouldn't want to be on the next one. Serving on committees are a tax on one's time. The fact is we don't know how the process will play out, but I will take a leap of faith and believe in a utopian view that the Alumni and the students will be involved.

As I have said before, if we use this standard for picking a new name, we will have absolutely nothing to choose from because almost every possible name is in use by somebody (high school, college, pros).

It doesn't have to be unique to every nickname in the world, but there's no way UND will pick a nickname already used by one of two high schools in its own city. There's just absolutely no way that will happen. I've never understood that a number of people on this board honestly believe there's a realistic chance that UND would adopt Rough Riders as its new nickname. UND is going to avoid controversy at all costs with its new nickname. It isn't going to choose a nickname that's going to piss off the Grand Forks School District, half of Grand Forks, and countless Red River alumni.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think you were told that the practice had been going on long before the nickname was a goner; in fact, the use of the term "Green and White" can be found in Herald archives going back decades. It is just more noticeable now as they tend to do it a bit more because -- shocker-- there is no official nickname to use. And yes, I wouldn't worry about it. This is what the kids these days like to refer to as First-World problems.

• Upvote 1

Whatever is chosen will be hated immediately by most of us old timers, simply, because we can't have the one we loved and grew up with. That said, the conventional wisdom points to whatever nickname is chosen will eventually be accepted by the kids, current students and new alumni and will gain momentum over time.

Below you will find a list of college program nicknames from schools of all shapes and sizes, some under NCAA authority and others not.

My point is this, imagine being the first students or alumni or stakeholders in your schools to be slapped with nicknames like any of the ones below. I am sure it would take some time to warm up to them. Now, some of the nicknames below have an odd connection to the school or the region that the school is in, I realize that, so they make a little sense. Others, though, are very random -- I mean, Youngstown Penguins? C'mon. Maybe there's local folklore or a legend that would explain situations like that, who knows?

Even the well established and nationally accepted nicknames of today like the Ducks for Oregon, or the Kangaroos of UMKC, or the Gamecocks of South Carolina must have had an uneasy growing period for popularity at one time. Now those students, fans and alumni wear their odd nicknames across their chest like a badge of honor. They think it's clever and original, I guess. They might be right.

My guess is the same will happen here at UND, eventually.

Anyway here's my list; there are more:

Hokies

Ducks

Bonnies

Anteaters

Loons

Fighting Squirrels

Gorloks

Poets

Zips

Great Danes

Greyhounds

Kangaroos

Threshers

Polar Bears

Judges

Bridges

Vulcans

Tartans

Mules

Maroons

Camels

Fight'n Blue Hens

Gila Monsters

Purple Aces

Stags

Diplomats

Paladins

Hoyas

Sycamores

Prairie Fire

Duhawks

Chaparrals

Terrapins

Fighting Muskies

Lobos

Setters

Lutes

Pilots

Anchormen

Profs

Red Flash

Billikens

Pomeroys

Oles

Peacocks

Gamecocks

Bees

Llamas

Salukis

Mad hatters

Orange

Dust devils

Havelinas

Trolls

Catamounts

Keydets

V-hawks

Little Giants

Argonauts

Shockers

Blugolds

Wombats

Muskateers

Penguins

etc.

Ha Shockers is a real name: http://www.goshockers.com/ In today's PC world I am genuinely surprised they can get away with that.

How about the Fighting Wombats ;)

Kansas is a big wheat state. Wheat used to be put in shocks or bundles before the invention of the combine. The shocks were then put into a threshing machine. People that bundled or shocked the wheat were shockers. I'm pretty sure that's where the name came from.

Kansas is a big wheat state. Wheat used to be put in shocks or bundles before the invention of the combine. The shocks were then put into a threshing machine. People that bundled or shocked the wheat were shockers. I'm pretty sure that's where the name came from.

I fully understand where the origin comes from...since I am under 30 I have a different understanding of the word....

Actually, I think you were told that the practice had been going on long before the nickname was a goner; in fact, the use of the term "Green and White" can be found in Herald archives going back decades. It is just more noticeable now as they tend to do it a bit more because -- shocker-- there is no official nickname to use. And yes, I wouldn't worry about it. This is what the kids these days like to refer to as First-World problems.

And the only real-life example that was brought up was pulled out of a direct quote from then-UND coach Dean Blais after a game. That doesn't really count for what we are discussing here. If we get stuck with "Green and White", it will be Wayne Nelson's fault because he started the practice and then everyone else just followed his lead.

It doesn't have to be unique to every nickname in the world, but there's no way UND will pick a nickname already used by one of two high schools in its own city. There's just absolutely no way that will happen. I've never understood that a number of people on this board honestly believe there's a realistic chance that UND would adopt Rough Riders as its new nickname. UND is going to avoid controversy at all costs with its new nickname. It isn't going to choose a nickname that's going to piss off the Grand Forks School District, half of Grand Forks, and countless Red River alumni.

So "countless Red River alumni" that went to UND and supported our teams will suddenly stop supporting them over this? Ties to your college alma mater are much more important to people than their high school alma mater. And if I am wrong, so what? We don't need "supporters" like that. When Grand Forks Central first considered Knights as a possible nickname, people whined and complained that it just could not be used because Climax-Fisher used it and didn't want us to use it. Well, it was adopted a couple of years later, Climax-Fisher got over it and life went on. That is what would happen here as well. And this is all pure speculation anyway; we'll probably get Rainbows or Unicorns shoved down our throats if some people around here get their way.

PS: What's up with all the child welfare problems at Spirit Lake? I thought getting rid of the Sioux nickname and logo was supposed to solve all the problems on the reservations? :silly:

• Upvote 3

And the only real-life example that was brought up was pulled out of a direct quote from then-UND coach Dean Blais after a game. That doesn't really count for what we are discussing here. If we get stuck with "Green and White", it will be Wayne Nelson's fault because he started the practice and then everyone else just followed his lead.

It was going on long before Wayne was an employee of the Herald. Hell, it was going on long before Wayne was even the editor of the Jamestown Sun -- way before his days at the Herald. We're talking about back in the days when Virg Foss was a clean shaven cub reporter fresh out of St. Olaf College.

It was going on long before Wayne was an employee of the Herald. Hell, it was going on long before Wayne was even the editor of the Jamestown Sun -- way before his days at the Herald. We're talking about back in the days when Virg Foss was a clean shaven cub reporter fresh out of St. Olaf College.

Wow, that really was a long time ago! :p

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

So "countless Red River alumni" that went to UND and supported our teams will suddenly stop supporting them over this? Ties to your college alma mater are much more important to people than their high school alma mater. And if I am wrong, so what? We don't need "supporters" like that. When Grand Forks Central first considered Knights as a possible nickname, people whined and complained that it just could not be used because Climax-Fisher used it and didn't want us to use it. Well, it was adopted a couple of years later, Climax-Fisher got over it and life went on. That is what would happen here as well. And this is all pure speculation anyway; we'll probably get Rainbows or Unicorns shoved down our throats if some people around here get their way.

PS: What's up with all the child welfare problems at Spirit Lake? I thought getting rid of the Sioux nickname and logo was supposed to solve all the problems on the reservations? :silly:

I know this was tongue in cheek but Who ever said getting rid of the name would solve all the problems on the reservations? There's a poor little one that was killed and sorry I don't think this was a very good analogy for the situation.

• Upvote 1

Below you will find a list of college program nicknames from schools of all shapes and sizes, some under NCAA authority and others not.

My point is this, imagine being the first students or alumni or stakeholders in your schools to be slapped with nicknames like any of the ones below. I am sure it would take some time to warm up to them. Now, some of the nicknames below have an odd connection to the school or the region that the school is in, I realize that, so they make a little sense. Others, though, are very random -- I mean, Youngstown Penguins? C'mon. Maybe there's local folklore or a legend that would explain situations like that, who knows?

Even the well established and nationally accepted nicknames of today like the Ducks for Oregon, or the Kangaroos of UMKC, or the Gamecocks of South Carolina must have had an uneasy growing period for popularity at one time. Now those students, fans and alumni wear their oddly named nicknames across their chest like a badge of honor. They think it's clever and original, I guess. They might be right.

My guess is the same will happen here at UND, eventually.

Anyway here's my list; there are more:

Hokies

Ducks

Bonnies

Anteaters

Loons

Fighting Squirrels

Gorloks

Poets

Zips

Great Danes

Greyhounds

Kangaroos

Threshers

Polar Bears

Judges

Bridges

Vulcans

Tartans

Mules

Maroons

Camels

Fight'n Blue Hens

Gila Monsters

Purple Aces

Stags

Diplomats

Paladins

Hoyas

Sycamores

Prairie Fire

Duhawks

Chaparrals

Terrapins

Fighting Muskies

Lobos

Setters

Lutes

Pilots

Anchormen

Profs

Red Flash

Billikens

Pomeroys

Oles

Peacocks

Gamecocks

Bees

Llamas

Salukis

Mad hatters

Orange

Dust devils

Havelinas

Trolls

Catamounts

Keydets

V-hawks

Little Giants

Argonauts

Shockers

Blugolds

Wombats

Muskateers

Penguins

etc.

I like them all. Except put the word, "Screaming" in front of them.

Screaming Wombats.

Screaming Penguins

Screaming Llamas

Screaming Muskies

Screaming Anchormen

Screaming Kangaroos...

I'm tellin ya, we need to use the word, "Screaming".... :D