SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

It is likely that sooner or later (likely sooner) the base will close since the base lost out on the newest plans. Speaking as a retired Airforce brat and a student at UND I personally think the base has done alot for the town and I think we should honor them by having the mascot of Warriors of the North.

It is likely that sooner or later (likely sooner) the base will close since the base lost out on the newest plans. Speaking as a retired Airforce brat and a student at UND I personally think the base has done alot for the town and I think we should honor them by having the mascot of Warriors of the North.

They already decided the drone program wouldn't be in GF?

I'm sure Warriors would offend somebody because god forbid we dont want to offend somebody with a name they don't have to look at or read.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure Warriors would offend somebody because god forbid we dont want to offend somebody with a name they don't have to look at or read.

As long as its not referenced to Indians the name will be fine. Works for Golden State of the NBA.

I'm sure after what UND's been through, they'll opt to play it safe and stray away from any nickname that could potentially be taken out of context and offend someone. Smart money says it'll be the Rough Riders, which has close ties to the military.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure after what UND's been through, they'll opt to play it safe and stray away from any nickname that could potentially be taken out of context and offend someone. Smart money says it'll be the Rough Riders, which has close ties to the military.

The pep band just has to learn "Days of Anger" and I'm on board.

That's the way I like it too....

I would guess UND marketing isn't a huge fan though. Tough to make money on licensing or put your "brand" out there without a nickname and probably one of the main reasons UND will end up with a new one.

• Upvote 1

That's an excellent point, If we don't choose one, one will be chosen for us. Not sure how I feel about that.

Kelley had a committee to choose a new name before the whole state law thing came about. I am sure they will go back to that to get all the names on the table and find a way to vote for one. No way can I see the school go nameless longer than 2015. Marketing can't be all that great with just the UND logo and the name North Dakota on jerseys and shirts.

If we absolutely have to have a nick name I guess Rough Riders works for me, I just can't think of a really cool looking logo, a guys on a horse isn't really intimidating. It would be cool if there was a cooler name for musketeer, "all for one and one for all," but it wouldnt make sense geographically, just a thought. It would fit in with the stick salute lol.

• Upvote 1