SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Everyother year, early in the season before conference play starts. Get these games scheduled already!!! Here, let me help: Saturday September 13th 2014, Fargodome. Saturday September 10th, 2016, Alerus Center. Saturday September 8th, 2018 , Fargodome. Saturday Sebtember 12th, 2020, Alerus Center.....and then do that every other year till the cows come home!!!

A quote from Bisonville which may be an eye opener for both schools:

I agree with him...if it is going to be very difficult to schedule and with more teams backing out all the time why not schedule every year or at least every other year?

I'm a Bison fan and want to get it done. It may be the biggest sporting event in the state's history when it returns.

Everyother year, early in the season before conference play starts. Get these games scheduled already!!! Here, let me help: Saturday September 13th 2014, Fargodome. Saturday September 10th, 2016, Alerus Center. Saturday September 8th, 2018 , Fargodome. Saturday Sebtember 12th, 2020, Alerus Center.....and then do that every other year till the cows come home!!!

And in the years of 2015, 2017, and 2019 play USD and SDSU.

I think we got it figured out. You want to talk to Faison or should I?!! :D

I would love to talk to him. It shouldn't be hard to schedule something you have 2 other games to schedule up to 2015 if they are open..schedule. Money shouldn't be a minimum since we are a couple hundred miles from USD and less than that for SDSU. Only if teams back out should it become a problem.

So we've proved that the finances are a wash. Now the biggest issue is the scheduling stability. Having a contract to play every year gives us both an iron clad guaranteed home game against a quality FCS team every other year and as inexpensive an OOC road trip as there is in FCS every other year. I'm hoping NDSU gets stuck with a 10 game schedule and Taylor gets his eyes opened to the benefits of an annual game.

So we've proved that the finances are a wash. Now the biggest issue is the scheduling stability. Having a contract to play every year gives us both an iron clad guaranteed home game against a quality FCS team every other year and as inexpensive an OOC road trip as there is in FCS every other year. I'm hoping NDSU gets stuck with a 10 game schedule and Taylor gets his eyes opened to the benefits of an annual game.

Faison has already said they only want a every other year game.

The biggest sporting event in the state's history was the gold medal game played between Sidney Crosby's Team Canada and Alexander Ovechkin's Team Russia a few years back. A college football game between a couple of I-AA teams is not only not going to top it, it won't even come close. I love my Sioux football, but let's be realistic.

I was unaware of a Crosby Vs. Ovechkin game. I'm guessing most of the state really didn't know anything about it either. I know it is hard to hear this Dave, but hockey is irrelevant in North Dakota outside of Grand Forks unless it is UND hockey. An NDSU/UND football game would have about 1000x the interest that any non-UND hockey game would ever generate in North Dakota.

The Sioux Bison game will be the biggest thing for the people of the state, and the few alumni/fans around the country. About 400,000 people max.

If you talking a sports game held in North Dakota that had the most viewership/international exposure, it was the Canada vs Russia hockey game.

• Upvote 1

Just want to point out that the Force have better attendance than Bison basketball. I'd say hockey is pretty popular in Fargo.

This is true, though it certainly helps it is in a nice venue compared to the dump that it is the BSA. Though I don't know more than 5-10 people who are NHL fans while I know about a lot more who care about basketball. But yes, you are 100% correct that the Force games are fairly popular around here.

You have never left the city limits of Fargo, have you? And I don't mean cruising main in West Fargo.

I was raised in Colorado Springs, Napoleon and Jamestown. I have left the city limits of Fargo.

Isn't this sort of an odd statement?

Anything in North Dakota is pretty irrelevant. There are ten people in the state per square mile. Its one big wide open space.

I wouldn't say it is an odd statement...hockey is big in a select few places. It is very large in Grand Forks. That is just how it goes. If it was big everywhere, you'd see the smaller towns have hockey teams like they do in Minnesota.

An NDSU/UND football game would be wayyyy bigger than the ovechkin/crosby showdown.

People all over the WORLD are aware of the World Jr. hockey tournament, while few people outside of North Dakota would be aware of a Sioux/Bison football game.

People in about a dozen countries know about the World Jr. tournament. I doubt that very many people in Asia, Africa or Australia know about it. Or South America. Or probably very many people south of the Mason-Dixon line in this country unless they are among the few NHL fans in the south.

No point in ever playing them again.................

We set our attendance record with Texas A&M-Kingsville and Wisconsin-Lacrosse on the home schedule..................

The very last North Dakota-NDSU game didn't even sell out in the smaller of the two possible venues...........................

They crave the exposure that would come from playing us, and we get enough the way it is, so why help them out?

Let Gene Taylor come up with a new annual excuse as to why he's not allowed to let the game happen......................that's been hilarious every year for 7 years running! biggrin.gif

Yeah, the Bison craved attention last year. That's a good one. :whistling:

No game until UND proves to be a top-tier team in the Big Sky. Then there's no excuses available on either side.

Gene Taylor does what he believes is best for Bison Football. That's what he's paid to do. He's done ok.

Playing against one FBS program each year is a good thing. It's exciting, and the money is needed.

The rivalry was powerful because both schools took their turns at being the stronger program. There were many great games.

Being we're not in the same conference, the schedule needs to fall in place in a way that gives both schools the kind of schedule that prepares the teams for conference play. That's the name of the game. Win the conference, gain homefield advantage, and make the playoff run. We learned about this in 2011. With so many good teams in the FCS, playing on the road in the playoffs is very difficult.

The Bison-Sioux game cannot be the Super Bowl for both schools. If we were in the same conference it would be different.

I have no doubt that UND will be one of the stronger programs in the Big Sky eventually. It's just a matter of when.

People all over the WORLD are aware of the World Jr. hockey tournament, while few people outside of North Dakota would be aware of a Sioux/Bison football game.

By world I presume you mean Norway, Sweden, Finland, western Russia, Czech Republic, Canada, and Northern United States of America.

That is hockey. Nothing wrong with being popular in a small population base. I wrestled in high school, that wasn't super popular everywhere either. The only truly worldwide sport is soccer. After that, is basketball, After that, based on population that plays it, probably American football. Considering we have more kids playing football in american high schools than registered hockey players worldwide, at the very least, it is bigger than hockey. No arguing that. Hockey is fun to watch, and I thoroughly enjoy watching my Philly Flyers and my Golden Gophers...hockey is not as big as football.

An NDSU/UND football game, is the most important sporting event that North Dakota has.....when UND plays Minnesota in hockey, it is fun for hockey fans. When NDSU and UND play in football, it is fun for everyone. Deal with it. Quit pretending some stupid junior hockey tournement is more important than NDSU/UND football. Would you rather see UND beat NDSU 21-10 in football, or Team USA beat Team Canada 2-1 in hockey....if you'd rather see the second, I question you claiming you are a UND fan.

Dave.......go to Norway. People in Norway don't give a sh!# about hockey. They are nuts about soccer and nordic skiing. I bet you have never even set foot in Norway. Stop talking out of your ass. Between this and your perspective on the name change.......ignorance is running rampant.

• Upvote 1

Dave.......go to Norway.

+++++++

I almost spit coffee all over my computer when I read that someone actually thinks a hockey game between a group of high-school aged kids from foreign countries was the biggest sports event in ND. I assume DaveK means this only because it was an international event, rather than an event that the resident's of North Dakota would take an interest in. The world curling championships were about equally as appealing to average North Dakotans.

There are a plethora of Sioux-Gopher events, Sioux-Bison events, and even a Sioux-Jayhawk basketball game that were infinately more appealing to the majority of North Dakotan's.

Dave.......go to Norway. People in Norway don't give a sh!# about hockey. They are nuts about soccer and nordic skiing. I bet you have never even set foot in Norway. Stop talking out of your ass. Between this and your perspective on the name change.......ignorance is running rampant.

Funny and true. Sweden yes Norway noooo. They suck at and couldn't care less about hockey. This argument is like comparing an apple and an orange based on appleness. Why don't we start arguing about which sport is more popular between class b basketball and hockey or football in north dakota?

When did this turn into a Wold Junior discussion? Can't we all just agree that the World Juniors in 2005 was a big event in North Dakota, and that Sioux Bison football games are also big events in ND. Why compare the two to see which was bigger?? No one is ever going to win. You are comparing two sports played at different levels. This is so stupid!!!!!

SIDNEY CROSBY and ALEXANDER OVECHKIN played in that game. Those two players are to the NHL what Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are to the NFL. Anybody who thinks a Division I-AA football game would be a bigger event than that is a delusional moron. We aren't talking about what North Dakota residents would take more interest in, we're talking about what is the bigger event overall.

And back then they weren't what they are now. If LeBron James played in some basketball tournement here when he was in high school that doesn't make it the biggest sporting event in the state's history....