SiouxSports.com Forum

UVU @ UND

dakotadan

The men need to learn how to close out games like this. This usually means being able to make your free throws and running an efficient offense. Too many times it looked like they became disjointed and just forced up a shot after running some clock. They need to stay in the offense and try to set up something better than chucking up a shot.

Very frustrating game to watch. I can't believe the number of missed free throws.

The last 5 minutes of regulation were brutal. The game never should have gotten to the first OT. With 5 minutes left the Sioux were up by 11.

I questioned the call to foul UVU in the third OT with less than 6 seconds left. The Sioux had a 3-point lead. Why put Mr. Automatic on the line to make it a 1 point game. Then the technical foul fiasco. When the Sioux were trying to inbound the ball, I kept saying just get it in. All he had to was lob the to mid court. i know the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched, but the chances would have been 50/50 as to who got the ball and they would still have had to launch a prayer.

It took me a half hour to fall asleep last night after watching that. I'm sure the guys didn't sleep much at all.

This is one that the Sioux had as a "W".

• Upvote 1

Agree alot with what was said. The 5 freshmen that had been carrying us made alot of crucial mistakes tonight (all of them). Alot of very and I mean very poor shot selections during the middle of the second half. They seemed not to run their offense for a stretch of 5-6 minutes and were coming down and throwing up rediculous shots. It was a game that both teams had won numerous time. Poor shooting and OMG the free throws. Webb has got to know the timeout situation and get it in. Several players were open and if we get the inbounds to someone the game is over. How people were thinking about the three at the end of the fist half when it went into overtime again and again and again? Fans want excitement and if you were at the game last night you saw everyhing. This could have been a very good lesson for our youth and hopefully they will learn from it.

That was a very sloppy game. The Sioux at the line was horrible. If I was Jones every player at pratice better be able to shoot 100 free throws to make up for the misses. It was too bad about the technical foul at the end because there was no time outs. Better get the troops prepared for the real thing 2012-2013 season.

Coaching speaks for itself...I have never been a Jones fan. He has recruited some talent, but he needs to be able to coach the talent.

Dont know how you can pin this one on the coaches. We have one bad game and its the coaches fault. We were in a position to win the game at every stanza. The coaches did not miss 22 free throws. Brekke who had a great game inside was 2-9 from the line, Webb was 3-8 and Allard was 0-2. Each miss was a difference maker. I dont think anybody shot well from the floor either. The one thing I must say and been saying all year is the shot selection of Huff and Anderson. They take horrible shots and if there is one thing the coaches can do is fix this. Good penetration and never a kick out when the enter the land of the trees. Anderson gets bailed out alot of the times but has no business trying to shoot over anybody, kick it out. Huff took several shots in overtime when he just threw it up and hit nothing. Every possession is critical in close games and we waste probably 10-15 possessions a game. Im sure the coaches harp on this but a few players still think its about themselves in too many situations. This is the main area the coaches must fix.

Dont know how you can pin this one on the coaches. We have one bad game and its the coaches fault. We were in a position to win the game at every stanza. The coaches did not miss 22 free throws. Brekke who had a great game inside was 2-9 from the line, Webb was 3-8 and Allard was 0-2. Each miss was a difference maker. I dont think anybody shot well from the floor either. The one thing I must say and been saying all year is the shot selection of Huff and Anderson. They take horrible shots and if there is one thing the coaches can do is fix this. Good penetration and never a kick out when the enter the land of the trees. Anderson gets bailed out alot of the times but has no business trying to shoot over anybody, kick it out. Huff took several shots in overtime when he just threw it up and hit nothing. Every possession is critical in close games and we waste probably 10-15 possessions a game. Im sure the coaches harp on this but a few players still think its about themselves in too many situations. This is the main area the coaches must fix.

Are you kidding me? Are you in love with jones and the staff or something? Probably a kid of one of the staff or wife.

Why in the wrold would u foul up by 31 wiht 6 seconds to go in the 3rd over time? I can hear jones yellin foul foul foul.. And they fould there hot shooter. They are lucky that he didnt get three shots as it was almsot a shooting foul from half court.

Then its jones responsibility to tell the players to remember they got no time outs left. U cant expect a freshamn whose playing the in third overtime to remember they got one time out left. This is loss is on coaching and free throws simple as that. I dont know how this game even went to over time.

JOnes is lucky this freshman class is good or he would be outta here no questions ask according to a few close sources. Lets just hope that none of these freshman leave of this year ;)

The bottom line is we lost the game. We definitely stunk at the free throw line and had a really ill advised time out called. Yes we made mistakes. We did a lot of positive things with 5 freshman too. In itself that is quite impressive. The future is very bright and we are heading in the right direction. At least people are talking about the men's team now. It definitely was a wild and crazy game though.

One thing that popped in my head before the fatal "timeout" was called is that it probably isn't smart to have a true freshman in-bounding the ball during the final minute of a game where they other team is going for the steal/foul. Clausen or Allard may have been a better option because they are more experienced and also taller so they can see. Just one guys opinion.

Chalk this loss up to missed free throws and youth I guess...

In a nutshell, I agree. Horrid free throw shooting. As it turned out, one more free throw almost anywhere along the way would have resulted in a W. Nevertheless, let's not forget that Utah Valley went into Corvallis, Oregon, and knocked off a Pac-10 team in Oregon State 70-68. Also, the way UVU was knocking down the threes in the third overtime to rally back from an eight-point deficit was a killer. If it helps any, the Bison men were up 18 points last night and lost 84-80. I have a feeling UVU is going to make some noise in the Great West this season. I know they say that youth is wasted on the young, but I have a feeling that as this team matures they are going to be awfully fun to watch.

One thing that popped in my head before the fatal "timeout" was called is that it probably isn't smart to have a true freshman in-bounding the ball during the final minute of a game where they other team is going for the steal/foul. Clausen or Allard may have been a better option because they are more experienced and also taller so they can see. Just one guys opinion.

Allard had been doing a good job of getting the ball inbounds against the pressure and the switch was made to Webb as the inbounder. The timeout before the half also allowed UVU to set up for what resulted in a 3 pointer at the end of half.

Allard had been doing a good job of getting the ball inbounds against the pressure and the switch was made to Webb as the inbounder. The timeout before the half also allowed UVU to set up for what resulted in a 3 pointer at the end of half.

I was just going to point out that first half timeout. What the hell was the point of that? UVU was going to concede the half with a half-ass in-bounds pass and maybe a hail mary three pointer. Instead, UND calls timeout so they inturn setup a play where they throw a long pass and the guy catches it and hits a three.....all in 1.9 seconds.

Poor overall FG shooting, poor FT shooting, and poor perimiter defense were the reason this game was lost. It never should have gotten to one OT, much less the 4th one that was result of Chris Webber possessing Jamal Webb's body............

This was one ugly basketball game from the very start.

But there are 5 freshman on this team that are all very fun to watch.......................

Are you kidding me? Are you in love with jones and the staff or something? Probably a kid of one of the staff or wife.

Why in the wrold would u foul up by 31 wiht 6 seconds to go in the 3rd over time? I can hear jones yellin foul foul foul.. And they fould there hot shooter. They are lucky that he didnt get three shots as it was almsot a shooting foul from half court.

Then its jones responsibility to tell the players to remember they got no time outs left. U cant expect a freshamn whose playing the in third overtime to remember they got one time out left. This is loss is on coaching and free throws simple as that. I dont know how this game even went to over time.

JOnes is lucky this freshman class is good or he would be outta here no questions ask according to a few close sources. Lets just hope that none of these freshman leave of this year ;)

None of the above. With everything involved in the whole process of the transition you've got to give the staff a chance. Trying to recruit a kid to no where land where its freezing cold with no shot at the ncaa or even a conference affiliation is almost impossible. With that said I believe the coaches have done a fine job and given more time could definately make an impact in the big sky with this group of kids they have now. Getting rid of the coaches would then again take 4-5 years to rebuild.

None of the above. With everything involved in the whole process of the transition you've got to give the staff a chance. Trying to recruit a kid to no where land where its freezing cold with no shot at the ncaa or even a conference affiliation is almost impossible. With that said I believe the coaches have done a fine job and given more time could definately make an impact in the big sky with this group of kids they have now. Getting rid of the coaches would then again take 4-5 years to rebuild.

While I'm not ready to advocate Jones' ouster, I think one has to be realistic about what he's done so far in four and a half years. I think the difficulty of the transition excuses the poor record vs. full-fledged dI programs. The problem is, he also has a sub-.500 record vs. Great West/transitional dI opponents AND dII opponents. That's where the excuses start to ring hollow.

Jones has finally accumulated some legit dI-caliber talent. That's obviously a good thing. But I also believe that he has a fairly limited amount of time in which to show he can mold them into a consistent team. Regardless of the circumstances, a head coach, particularly one with no previous experience, generally doesn't get more than five years to prove himself. He's now well into year five. Barring a collapse in the rest of the conference season, I'm fairly certain he'll be back next year. Beyond that, it will likely depend on how much progress is shown in the next 13 months or so. Expectations are now considerably higher than what they've been. We'll see if Jones is up to the task.

While I'm not ready to advocate Jones' ouster, I think one has to be realistic about what he's done so far in four and a half years. I think the difficulty of the transition excuses the poor record vs. full-fledged dI programs. The problem is, he also has a sub-.500 record vs. Great West/transitional dI opponents AND dII opponents. That's where the excuses start to ring hollow.

Jones has finally accumulated some legit dI-caliber talent. That's obviously a good thing. But I also believe that he has a fairly limited amount of time in which to show he can mold them into a consistent team. Regardless of the circumstances, a head coach, particularly one with no previous experience, generally doesn't get more than five years to prove himself. He's now well into year five. Barring a collapse in the rest of the conference season, I'm fairly certain he'll be back next year. Beyond that, it will likely depend on how much progress is shown in the next 13 months or so. Expectations are now considerably higher than what they've been. We'll see if Jones is up to the task.

You could also throw in his troubles vs. the NAIA teams as well.

Watching the game last night, you could clearly see there is some young talent on the team. You could also clearly see a team that was often out of control and not well coached. There have been a few examples posted already in regards to calling time outs when we didn't have any or calling time outs when we shouldn't have. I also really don't understand the offense that we were running most of the game. It appears as though our big guys only job is to set picks for the guards and let them try to make a play. Somehow we outscored UVU in the paint...not quite sure how that happened. I saw very few times where the bigs would post up and the guards would pass down low. Mostly I saw perimeter passing for most of the shotclock and then guards settling for outside shots or scrambling on a drive. Our offense just doesn't seem to have any flow or any purpose.

Although I'm not a fan of Jones, I also am not advocating he be fired immediately. I'm sure he has another year at least. What I would like to see is for this team to be well coached and to have an identity. Right now they just seem to be relying on talent alone.

For what it's worth, I have only seen a couple of games this season so take my opinion for what it is...an opinion...and we know what they say about opinions...