SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting SIOUX vs Fighting Irish - gobble gobble

AZSIOUX

Notre Dame is too honorable to charge the siouxage for the use of the ND. In the past 4 or 5 years, the Notre Dame Hockey team has something like top 3 in wins in that span. Made it to the championship and played a close game against the very same Boston College that put up something like 5 or 6 goals up on the "other" UND in one period. Perhaps one day the University of North Dakota will be great again like the 50's or whenever you were good. A lot of similarities between UND hockey and Notre Dame football....at least the Irish have awesome academic standards....

Not exactly awesome. A 30% admission rate is good, but not even close to the elite schools Notre Dame supporters like to associate themselves with academically.

Notre Dame is too honorable to charge the siouxage for the use of the ND. In the past 4 or 5 years, the Notre Dame Hockey team has something like top 3 in wins in that span. Made it to the championship and played a close game against the very same Boston College that put up something like 5 or 6 goals up on the "other" UND in one period. Perhaps one day the University of North Dakota will be great again like the 50's or whenever you were good. A lot of similarities between UND hockey and Notre Dame football....at least the Irish have awesome academic standards....

Skippy lets see if you can grasp this concept UND 7 NCAA titles, Notre Dame 0...

Edited by Goon

So lets assume that an "awesome student" from Johnson Hall who loves Notre Dame couldn't get in there. ACT scores less than 15 don't get into either Notre Dame or THE University of North Dakota (which by the way is an excellent academic institution with some academic programs better than that of Notre Dame). Let me guess... that 15 on the ACT and a B- average from whatever small high school got an "awesome" Presidential Scholarship (maybe from Chappy himself) and a room on the third floor of Johnson Hall at the State of North Dakota's best Agricultural College. Congratualtions. By the way what the heck are you doing at Johnson Hall? Its Thanksgiving. Wouldn't your famliy let you come home?? I suppose someone has to stay there and feed the sheep. Don't forget to use a condom.

Not exactly awesome. A 30% admission rate is good, but not even close to the elite schools Notre Dame supporters like to associate themselves with academically.

That's just one measure, and you have to believe that those students who apply at Notre Dame have already self-selected out a lot of riff raff...if i remember correctly the admissions stats there are pretty sick...like top 5% in your class and 30+ ACT...not saying it is the greatest university in the world, but it is definitely top 20 in the nation.

I'll razz 'em on a lot, but their academics are better than solid...

That's just one measure, and you have to believe that those students who apply at Notre Dame have already self-selected out a lot of riff raff...if i remember correctly the admissions stats there are pretty sick...like top 5% in your class and 30+ ACT...not saying it is the greatest university in the world, but it is definitely top 20 in the nation.

Didn't say they weren't better than solid--just not as elite as many like to portray. All top tier Universities and Colleges can claim their applicants self-select. But Columbia College, for example, had an admission rate of less than 9% a year or two ago. HYPS are lower. Students to all those schools self select, yet their admission rates are far lower than ND.

Not saying admission rates are a very good measure of the quality of education, either--I don't think they are. I have no complaints about the education UND gave me. If I could have learned more, it was because I was stupid or lazy or both. But when it comes to the kind of bragging rights that go with statistics, meaningful or not, there is a bit of a gap between ND and some of the schools they often liken themselves to.

Notre Dame is an excellent University. This poster is going to an excellent Agricultural College south of us. I also believe that if you are a good Irish Catholic ( I am an Irish Catholic so I am not picking on someone else) and make the right donation to the proper place you have a better than 50-50 chance of admission as long as you aren't a complete doofuss. Similar to a lot of schools. The competition is between the hockey teams not the math departments or FB teams etc. Somehow this got sidetracked by some poor soul left in Johnson Hall for Thanksgiving who has nothing else to do but jump on the Irish bandwagon and bash UND. (unless you count the sheep deal).

So lets assume that an "awesome student" from Johnson Hall who loves Notre Dame couldn't get in there. ACT scores less than 15 don't get into either Notre Dame or THE University of North Dakota (which by the way is an excellent academic institution with some academic programs better than that of Notre Dame). Let me guess... that 15 on the ACT and a B- average from whatever small high school got an "awesome" Presidential Scholarship (maybe from Chappy himself) and a room on the third floor of Johnson Hall at the State of North Dakota's best Agricultural College. Congratualtions. By the way what the heck are you doing at Johnson Hall? Its Thanksgiving. Wouldn't your famliy let you come home?? I suppose someone has to stay there and feed the sheep. Don't forget to use a condom.

Im home now....25 on ACT(yes, i know, only slightly above average) UND is not an excelllent institution, its a lot like NDSU which is essentially an average school to go to as far as academics. Notre Dame incoming freshman average a 31 on the ACT, average at NDSU and UND is something like a 22 or 23.

Im home now....25 on ACT(yes, i know, only slightly above average) UND is not an excelllent institution, its a lot like NDSU which is essentially an average school to go to as far as academics. Notre Dame incoming freshman average a 31 on the ACT, average at NDSU and UND is something like a 22 or 23.

Here's a thought.... an ACT score doesn't justify an individual's intelligence level. It's a freaking timed test, and some of us don't care about our ACT scores if we meet the minimum admissions requirements. Go whine about not getting into Notre Dame to your mom or something. UND and NDSU are fine schools where many can get a good education that will serve them well in their lives. I don't need some expensive school full of rich preppies to get a good education. I have degrees from both North Dakota schools and am completely satisfied with the education I received at both of them.

Now, we're trying to talk about a hockey game here so if you don't care please run along...

Sioux Rube, all...

Grasp this: WhatsHockey is here to smacktalk... only Notre Dame has little to smack talk about. They haven't won any NCs in hockey. No big deal. Miami has garnered respect despite that.

Notre Dame's last NC in football was 1988. Yup... 22 years ago. Since then, UND has won 2 National Titles.

Notre Dame fans have had little to cheer about since Davie, Willingham, and Weiss were disasters for their football program. So all they have left to fall back on is academics.

I can't find information on how many of their football players were Academic All Americans. However, academics is all he has to talk smack about.

I'm not too proud to admit that, academically speaking, Notre Dame's reputation academically overall is better than UND's. However, we're not talking the Quiz Bowl showdown between these two schools.

Notre Dame is fully capable of taking points this weekend. They are certainly more of a winning program the last 15 years than their football program.

However, let's cut this guy some slack. You can't smacktalk if you realize you're outclassed in everything. This ND fan has found something that outclasses UND and he went with it.

And for the record, comparing Notre Dame football to even UND football is like comparing Apples to Grapefruit. Notre Dame is in the FBS and, thus, is in an entirely different world of football. Notre Dame would crush UND in football... or at least they'd better.

But I think UND has the superior hockey program... at least this year.

Let's see if I can touch base on the sprawling range of topics addressed thus far.

Academics:

Notre Dame is above and beyond UND when it comes to class, history and tradition - no doubt about that. I won't argue with Troller. However, I am a UND grad and am currently pursuing a Ph.D. at a prestigious university in Chicago. As such, I have two points to make: 1) it doesn't really matter what school you go to as long as you make the best of your experience, and 2) prestigious, nationally-ranked universities are generally full of pretentious assholes who entertain a sense of entitlement because daddy has a fat bank account and/or intimate ties to the university.

Hockey (since this is not a football forum...i think):

UND is above and beyond Notre Dame when it comes to hockey - history, tradition, fans who actually follow the sport, and class (well, maybe not class considering UND injures about one opposing player per weekend, but it's good to be hated and UND appreciates it). Notre Dame has a solid hockey program, as evident by their success in the past few years, but they play in the CCHA which has like two-and-a-half good teams on a good day. They will continue to develop, prosper and instill a name for themselves, but comparing Notre Dame hockey to UND hockey can't be fairly justified yet. Notre Dame has <1 National Championships.

North Dakota Academics:

While neither UND or NSDU is considered a magnet school (outside of the region), both are above average nationally. UND has medicine (tops for rural medicine), law (I don't know how this program stands) and aviation (tops for everything ever), NDSU has pharmacy and...farms (excellent if you like animals and weeds, probably). Additionally, I have yet to see a Carnegie Foundation (which quantifies the economical impact of an institution on it's state) ranking system in which NDSU is placed above UND since the inception of both institutions. No matter where you go in the United States, people generally could care less that there are colleges in North Dakota. Brutal truth. However, on the national scale, UND is actually on the map - in all my travels, I've yet to encounter an individual outside of the midwest who has heard of NDSU, but that may simply be due to UND's name change issues. UND > NDSU.

So, in closing, I just want to voice a few opinions:

1) The UND-UND series will certainly be exciting and the Fighting S's better not be taking the Fighting I's lightly.

2) College hockey is, nationally, a culture not comparable to college football. If EA sports ever made an NCAA college hockey game, only a few select people would buy it - but they would obsessively play the !@#$ out of it.

3) UND will never compare to Notre Dame on an academic scale, like Troller said.

4) If UND manages a sweep, maybe the Hockey East hoser's who control the USCHO/USA Hockey polls will stop bumping us down in the ranks.

5) If I see a good looking girl in Notre Dame attire at the game, there's probably a good chance I hit on her and ask her to buy me $9 Ralph Engelstad beers with daddy's money.

To the Troller-

1) Stop initiating confrontations in another teams forum - we don't do that to you, probably because we don't care about NDSU.

2) NDSU is in Fargo, and no one really likes Fargo, even if they say they do.

3) Your campus makes me throw up in my mouth and bleed from the eyes.

4) On a national scale, can you honestly say your institution has a strong athletic program? Beating The Gophers doesn't count, they're bad at most things. Like hockey, which counts in this blog.

5) Obama held up a Fighting Sioux hockey stick over his head in his travels to North Dakota. I didn't even see him look at an NDSU football, not that I like Obama.

6) UND hockey is North Dakota, NDSU football is the greater Fargo/Moorhead area.

7) UND can, and always has, been able to drink NDSU under the table (irrelevant but excellent).

SIOUXnation...let's prepare for a great weekend!