SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

If the kid wants to remain in the Duluth area for his HS and College years, and he believes his development won't be significantly affected, can't fault him for that! 

Now...if only Duluth could get an NHL team for him to play on too!

That was the point my buddy made.  "He does realize that Duluth doesn't have a pro team, right?"

I can't imagine that the development with the Nat'l team wouldn't be better than the homemade pond in the backyard, but what do I know!

7 minutes ago, franchise said:

That was the point my buddy made.  "He does realize that Duluth doesn't have a pro team, right?"

I can't imagine that the development with the Nat'l team wouldn't be better than the homemade pond in the backyard, but what do I know!

Yeah, bad advice from his HS coach from a development standpoint.  I have a hard time blaming the kid for wanting to play HS hockey with his friends though.  He may regret it in the future, but maybe it'll work out for him.

25 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah, bad advice from his HS coach from a development standpoint.  I have a hard time blaming the kid for wanting to play HS hockey with his friends though.  He may regret it in the future, but maybe it'll work out for him.

I don't fault kids for staying back and playing HS hockey.  Does is slow development?  For all but the most gifted, I believe so (vs going NTDP).  But I believe the good ones always end up at the same spot, it just depends on how long it takes to get there.

29 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I don't fault kids for staying back and playing HS hockey.  Does is slow development?  For all but the most gifted, yes.  But I believe the good ones always end up at the same spot, it just depends on how long it takes to get there.

That's true, but I know there have been some NHL clubs that are less likely to pull the trigger on drafting a guy high when he hasn't proven himself at the Junior level.  Yes, they will draft guys with superior talent, but I'm sure it doesn't help your draft status, and say what you want, but NHL teams don't want to look like they missed early in the NHL draft, so you might get a better look early on in your career with the big club the higher you are drafted.   Ultimately though, you are right, if you have talent and play the game right you will be in the NHL regardless. 

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

That's true, but I know there have been some NHL clubs that are less likely to pull the trigger on drafting a guy high when he hasn't proven himself at the Junior level.  Yes, they will draft guys with superior talent, but I'm sure it doesn't help your draft status, and say what you want, but NHL teams don't want to look like they missed early in the NHL draft, so you might get a better look early on in your career with the big club the higher you are drafted.   Ultimately though, you are right, if you have talent and play the game right you will be in the NHL regardless. 

Oh sure, definitely.

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No.
I mean what I wrote.
If the lad doesn't want to be at North Dakota he should go to where he wants to be. It'll be better for all parties. 

My sentiments also - I would feel better, however, if Duluth hadn't been kicking our butts lately and we weren't in dire need of scorers.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

My sentiments also - I would feel better, however, if Duluth hadn't been kicking our butts lately and we weren't in dire need of scorers.

If we played 'em ten weekends, they might win nine. But not this weekend.

This weekend, we skate with 'em.

This weekend, we stay with 'em, and we shut them down because we can!

This weekend, we are the greatest hockey team in the country.

These boys were born to be hockey players -- every one of em.

And they were meant to be at Amsoil this weekend.

This is our time.

Their time -- is done. It's over.

I'm sick and tired of hearin' about what a great hockey team the Bulldogs have. Screw 'em!

This is our time!!

We're gonna go out there and take it!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, franchise said:

If we played 'em ten weekends, they might win nine. But not this weekend.

This weekend, we skate with 'em.

This weekend, we stay with 'em, and we shut them down because we can!

This weekend, we are the greatest hockey team in the country.

These boys were born to be hockey players -- every one of em.

And they were meant to be at Amsoil this weekend.

This is our time.

Their time -- is done. It's over.

I'm sick and tired of hearin' about what a great hockey team the Bulldogs have. Screw 'em!

This is our time!!

We're gonna go out there and take it!

Yup, we split this weekend.

19 hours ago, tnt said:

It would be interesting to see how they approach that with players. Hopefully they understand the draw of the State Tourney for Minnesota kids. They seem to be losing the steam we had recruiting top Minnesota kids and focusing more on Junior players. Duluth has done much better than before in top end Minnesota talent.

Yeah I don't like the way we have been recruiting Minnesota at all lately. Seems like we haven't had near the success there we have had in the past and maybe not as much focus there either which disappoints me. It definitely is different with Minnesota kids especially at good programs than anyone else in regards to wanting them to leave high school early and coaches need to understand that. A kid like Donovan is fine playing juniors before and after his high school season.

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Yeah I don't like the way we have been recruiting Minnesota at all lately. Seems like we haven't had near the success there we have had in the past and maybe not as much focus there either which disappoints me. It definitely is different with Minnesota kids especially at good programs than anyone else in regards to wanting them to leave high school early and coaches need to understand that. A kid like Donovan is fine playing juniors before and after his high school season.

Article in the Duluth paper made it sound like Dubuque wouldn’t accommodate the before and after for him. 

Are we even recruiting in Minnesota? Pipeline is completely dry of anyone from the Twin Cities. 

It seems we have a tendency to keep pulling from the same junior teams, which I think is lazy. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Article in the Duluth paper made it sound like Dubuque wouldn’t accommodate the before and after for him. 

Are we even recruiting in Minnesota? Pipeline is completely dry of anyone from the Twin Cities. 

It seems we have a tendency to keep pulling from the same junior teams, which I think is lazy. 

There's always a reason to complain about recruiting.  Missing the local guys, too many local guys, too many Minnesotans, not enough from MN, not going for the top national guys, getting burned by going for the top guys and having them skip up to major juniors.  

Maybe recruiting has changed because that's where they think the right guys are.  UND killed it with Shattuck, and then stopped.  After UND's run of NHLers and a Hobey, did a bunch of Shattuck players shine elsewhere?  I think the school had its run and UND was there at the right time.  Looking at the committed recruits, I mainly see an overweight position in the GF and Fargo area.  But that might just make sense, as some of those committed players are very good prospects, and the program has had some great players from that pipeline in the last five years.  Of course Penticton has provided a lot, but they are a factory for all of Division 1 and UND's Penticton players have generally been good.

The coaches have also branched out to national recruits, some very highly regarded, from outside the footprint.  It doesn't really scream lazy to me.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, jk said:

There's always a reason to complain about recruiting.  Missing the local guys, too many local guys, too many Minnesotans, not enough from MN, not going for the top national guys, getting burned by going for the top guys and having them skip up to major juniors.  

Maybe recruiting has changed because that's where they think the right guys are.  UND killed it with Shattuck, and then stopped.  After UND's run of NHLers and a Hobey, did a bunch of Shattuck players shine elsewhere?  I think the school had its run and UND was there at the right time.  Looking at the committed recruits, I mainly see an overweight position in the GF and Fargo area.  But that might just make sense, as some of those committed players are very good prospects, and the program has had some great players from that pipeline in the last five years.  Of course Penticton has provided a lot, but they are a factory for all of Division 1 and UND's Penticton players have generally been good.

The coaches have also branched out to national recruits, some very highly regarded, from outside the footprint.  It doesn't really scream lazy to me.

I was just making observations - I’m not not trying to be one of the posters complaining about recruiting. I could care less where our players come from to be honest. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:11 PM, Blackheart said:

Wait a sec...so your're saying the Grand Forks Herald is the media? :)

Well, yah, the media...but 3 days late.  Today's Herald pg 3 sports headline was UND rallies in 3rd period to beat UAA.  Laughed when I saw that, why even bother printing it, let alone headline it.

22 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, it's coaching that makes players miss open nets? Cmon. 

Cmon, we're not necessarily talking just missing "open nets".  We're also talking creativity to create chances, make space, etc. necessary in order to score.  To some degree over time/down the line it ultimately will fall on the coach, fair or not, as the result over time is what it is--the W-L record.  Your team consistently wins their games more often than not (which means players are finishing and getting goals necessary to outscore the other team), vs the opposite, then you have a job still (or you move up). 

14 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

With SCSU, MN, UMD, and even Mankato having solid teams the competition can be stiff.  Plus, there are tons of good kids in Canada and other parts of the US.  It's just a slight dry spell, I wouldn't look too far into it.  The reason Bubs likes recruiting junior leagues is because those leagues have far greater competition (obviously).  The kids aren't all putting up video game numbers and the one's that do are the one's to look at :)

16 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Being they recruited the potential Mr Hockey in Donovan, I'd say they are;)

Interesting that Ryder played 15 games in USHL and with U18 and his stats are 0-0-0 with a -3

Be an interesting year at East, without Worth scoring 47 goals.

6 minutes ago, franchise said:

Being they recruited the potential Mr Hockey in Donovan, I'd say they are;)

Interesting that Ryder played 15 games in USHL and with U18 and his stats are 0-0-0 with a -3

Be an interesting year at East, without Worth scoring 47 goals.

I noticed that too.  Stats at higher competition were underwhelming.  However, TBH a lot of Worth's goals were because of him.  It just shows the difference between HS hockey and juniors.  Whole different animal.  Every kid is good and dominated wherever they came from.

17 hours ago, jk said:

This is exactly right.  It's comical reading some of these posts.  Even though we have more of the local kids in the pipeline right now, if Bubs had missed signing just one of them there would have been an uproar here. 

Great post, jk.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

This is exactly right.  It's comical reading some of these posts.  Even though we have more of the local kids in the pipeline right now, if Bubs had missed signing just one of them there would have been an uproar here. 

Great post, jk.

You mean like this one https://omavs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9086

Or this one https://bgsufalcons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7304

Or this one https://umdbulldogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3397

Or this one https://scsuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4046

Or this one https://scsuhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4036

:wink: