SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Oh, I agree with you. I've read several interviews with Grimaldi where he says right out he's not playing in the WHL. He seems to be a pretty "spiritual" kid if thats the right wording. I got that from this: http://dansallows.com/q-and-a-with-team-us...rocco-grimaldi/

There's just no sarcastic face for me to demonstrate my appropriate reaction to the comments made about the two recruits and the WHL.

Wow, sounds like he has his ducks in a row, both on and off the ice.

Could he be college hockey's version of Tim Tebow in a few years? Perhaps.

Quesnel's Holst commits to Div. I North Dakota for 2010/11 season

The The British Columbia Hockey League's Quesnel Millionaires are pleased to announce that graduating forward Taylor Holst has accepted a scholarship to attend the University of North Dakota and suit up for the NCAA Division I Fighting Sioux.

The 20-year old Assistant Captain recorded better than a point-a-game in his final BCHL season, scoring 27 goals and adding 30 assists in 55 regular season games. He then contributed 14 points in 12 playoff games, helping the Mills to a first-round playoff series victory over the Salmon Arm SilverBacks before bowing out to eventual RBC Cup champions Vernon.

Oh, I agree with you. I've read several interviews with Grimaldi where he says right out he's not playing in the WHL. He seems to be a pretty "spiritual" kid if thats the right wording. I got that from this: http://dansallows.com/q-and-a-with-team-us...rocco-grimaldi/

There's just no sarcastic face for me to demonstrate my appropriate reaction to the comments made about the two recruits and the WHL.

This interview was done before Rocco's rights were traded to Portland. Portland is closer to home (though I thought his folks moved to Michigan?). So certain things COULD change (not that they will, but they could). There have been instances where the location of the MJ team was not to the recruit's liking so he committed to a DI team or refused to sign the contract until he was traded to a team that was more to his liking. Not altogether an ethical or mature response, but it's happened.

That being said, I hope Rocco still comes but I am not the one that says he will until he reports to campus.

Is this the recruited walk on that Schlossman talked about possibly being brought in? Well... I guess he gets a scholarship?

Is it possible that the scholarship is more academics (business scholarship for example) rather than athletic?

Seems odd that Brad talks about bringing in a recruited walk on and then bring in a scholarship overager.

This interview was done before Rocco's rights were traded to Portland. Portland is closer to home (though I thought his folks moved to Michigan?). So certain things COULD change (not that they will, but they could). There have been instances where the location of the MJ team was not to the recruit's liking so he committed to a DI team or refused to sign the contract until he was traded to a team that was more to his liking. Not altogether an ethical or mature response, but it's happened.

That being said, I hope Rocco still comes but I am not the one that says he will until he reports to campus.

Is this the recruited walk on that Schlossman talked about possibly being brought in? Well... I guess he gets a scholarship?

Is it possible that the scholarship is more academics (business scholarship for example) rather than athletic?

Seems odd that Brad talks about bringing in a recruited walk on and then bring in a scholarship overager.

It could very well be that Hak had a little scholarship money left and decided to give something to this young man. You can be sure that he isn't getting a full scholarship. It's possible that someone else offered a scholarship and Hak decided to offer something rather than just ask him to walk on.

Rocco seems to be a pretty mature and level-headed kid from all the interviews that I've read with him.

Committing to a college just to get more money from a WHL team seems like a shady deal for a kid that eventually wants to be a pastor of a church. :)

I'll go out on a limb and say that Grimaldi will be at UND next fall. ;)

With the Holst commitment, does that mean that he takes Genoway's spot in the forward lineup and that Chay won't be in the lineup at all now? :D

Rocco seems to be a pretty mature and level-headed kid from all the interviews that I've read with him.

Committing to a college just to get more money from a WHL team seems like a shady deal for a kid that eventually wants to be a pastor of a church. ;)

That's not what I said he's doing. ;)

Portland's angle isn't the money but rather the better location relative to "home." ND is far away from California. Obviously Michigan wasn't an option because I'm sure Michigan or Michigan State would have been on the list of schools if it was.

I'm not saying he'll report to Portland. Just giving the devil's advocate position.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Grimaldi will be at UND next fall. ;)

With the Holst commitment, does that mean that he takes Genoway's spot in the forward lineup and that Chay won't be in the lineup at all now? :D

Next fall? You could easily misinterpret that, ya know.

No, Holst will be too busy composing symphonies to play. Or is that the wrong Holst? :)

I wonder how this whole Jonathan Toews phenomenon has helped in UND's recruiting over the last 6-12 months...especially with a guy like Grimaldi.

Can't hurt that Jonny gives a shout out to UND in quite a few of his interviews.

I'm surprised by bringing in this 20 yr Holst. We have 6 forwards set to come in next yr, I'm surprised we didnt bring in one of those players. Oh well, the staff knows what they're doing. Sounds like Holst will be more of a role player anyways.

Thats now 15 committed forwards for 2010, 17 for 2011 (assuming the remaining recruits all come in in 2011 and no one leaves early)

Offense 2010

Danny Kristo F Soph

Michael Cichy F Soph

M. Lamoureux F Jun

Corban Knight F Soph

Brett Bruneteau F Soph

Brent Davidson F Sen

Jason Gregoire F Jun

Evan Trupp F Sen

Matt Frattin F Sen

Brad Malone F Sen

Brett Hextall F Jun

Carter Rowney F Soph

Derek Rodwell F Fresh

Brock Nelson F Fresh

Taylor Holst F Fresh

Total Forwards 15

Offense 2011

Danny Kristo F Jun

Michael Cichy F Jun

M Lamoureux F Sen

Corban Knight F Jun

Brett Bruneteau F Jun

Jason Gregoire F Sen

Brett Hextall F Sen

Carter Rowney F Jun

Derek Rodwell F Soph

Taylor Holst F Soph

Brock Nelson F Soph

Colten St Clair F Fresh

Michael Parks F Fresh

Danny Mattson F Fresh

B O'Donnell F Fresh

Mark MacMillin F Fresh

Rocco Grimaldi F Fresh

Total Forwards 17

this rocco kid is for real. i happen to know a guy that runs state wars who used to coach him when he played for the oc blades out of california and said this kid is not big but great hands and pound for pound one of the best he has seen. very happy to see he is coming in especially with his christian beliefs.

Holst has run out of eligibility and was in the right place at the right time to continue hockey at a higher level than the CIS.

Hakstol came calling, perhaps swinging a little leftower schollie action and Holst jumped at it.

Chances are, we won't be seeing much of Holst this year anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

per brads blog

1. Forward recruit Mark MacMillan has been traded from Alberni Valley to his hometown team, Penticton, in the BCHL. MacMillan reportedly requested the trade. This means he'll be playing with fellow Sioux recruit Brendan O'Donnell this season.

Here is the newest group of commited recruits and their 10-11 teams as of now. Please post any news or updates on all commited sioux recruits

Forbort, Nelson, Rodwell and Simpson graduated from the previous list and will be in green and white this fall.

macmillin traded to penticton

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

DANNY MATTSON - F - Chicago - USHL - 11' (undrafted)

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect)

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct)

per brads blog

1. Forward recruit Mark MacMillan has been traded from Alberni Valley to his hometown team, Penticton, in the BCHL. MacMillan reportedly requested the trade. This means he'll be playing with fellow Sioux recruit Brendan O'Donnell this season.

Penticton is going to be really, really good. MacMillan and O'Donnell are obviously going to be solid. SCSU will have three foward recruits on the team... though none of them are considered awesome, they'll all be better than your average BCHL forward. I hope Harbison does SCSU a favor and keeps them all on the same line.

FYI, Mark MacMillan's older brother Mitch is playing at SCSU this year after decommitting from Northeastern.

Penticton is going to be really, really good. MacMillan and O'Donnell are obviously going to be solid. SCSU will have three foward recruits on the team... though none of them are considered awesome, they'll all be better than your average BCHL forward. I hope Harbison does SCSU a favor and keeps them all on the same line.

FYI, Mark MacMillan's older brother Mitch is playing at SCSU this year after decommitting from Northeastern.

Did the brother just recently decommit? It sounded like they both were going to go to Northeastern at first and wanted to try stay together but obiviously if you have UND recruiting you then Northeastern is an after thought. At least they will be in the same league now. I proabably would have chosen SCSU over Northeastern as well. However you won't get me to say that about UND.

Did the brother just recently decommit? It sounded like they both were going to go to Northeastern at first and wanted to try stay together but obiviously if you have UND recruiting you then Northeastern is an after thought. At least they will be in the same league now. I proabably would have chosen SCSU over Northeastern as well. However you won't get me to say that about UND.

yes he decommited the other day

Article on NHL.com about Gothberg and the WJC:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535647

That's what Gothberg hopes to do today with his first opportunity. The graduate of Thief River Falls (Minn.) High School was taken in the sixth round of this year's draft by the Boston Bruins, but playing with the top under-20 talent in the world is a pretty big leap.

"It's crazy just how quick they can shoot it and stuff compared to the level I used to play at," Gothberg told NHL.com. "It's been a lot with tracking and stuff, had some problems starting out, but now I've gotten into a groove and settled down and I'm able to track pucks better."

Exter has followed Gothberg since last summer, when they were together with the U.S. team at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, and he has been very pleased with Gothberg's development.

"Over the course of the time that I have seen him, starting last year, he has a very good skill set," Exter said. "Now he's being able to take that skill and put it to work at a higher level. It's his first time going through that. For me, I'm very pleased with how calm he's stayed and how confident he's played."

• 4 weeks later...

added rowe and the BCHL has started exh games. o'donnell and macmillin both play for penticton

FUTURE COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#180) - CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

DANNY MATTSON - F - Chicago - USHL - 11' (undrafted)

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11' - Drafted 5th Rd. (#149) - PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#156) - TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' / 12' - Drafted 6th Rd. (#165) - BOSTON BRUINS

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11' (2011 Draft Prospect)

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11' - Drafted 4th Rd. (#113) - MONTREAL CANADIENS

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - (2011 draft prospepct)

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits