SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I like this tidbit:

Though the draft is in the back of his mind, Poganski has a harder time suppressing his excitement for playing college hockey next season at the University of North Dakota.

ā€œI think about it every day when I wake up, just playing college,ā€ he said. ā€œItā€™s always been my dream to play college.

ā€œAs a young boy I played for the Junior Sioux AAA team and ever since then, I just had the feeling if I ever had the chance to pick a college it would be North Dakota. Now that itā€™s coming to life, itā€™s a dream come true.ā€

• Upvote 1

I like this tidbit:

Though the draft is in the back of his mind, Poganski has a harder time suppressing his excitement for playing college hockey next season at the University of North Dakota.

ā€œI think about it every day when I wake up, just playing college,ā€ he said. ā€œItā€™s always been my dream to play college.

ā€œAs a young boy I played for the Junior Sioux AAA team and ever since then, I just had the feeling if I ever had the chance to pick a college it would be North Dakota. Now that itā€™s coming to life, itā€™s a dream come true.ā€

"Next season"? Isn't he coming in 2015? UND already has a huge class for 2014. I count a possible 30 player roster as it is.

"Next season"? Isn't he coming in 2015? UND already has a huge class for 2014. I count a possible 30 player roster as it is.

He's a part of that potential amazing class next year. It will work itself out

Gersich

Pagonski

Schmaltz

Gropp

Mantha

Wikie

I'm not sure about Gropp because he's from Canada and they have different education system, but I know Gersich would have to since he's a junior. I just never heard if this was happening for sure.

Good points! I'm sure someone knows out there.

Good points! I'm sure someone knows out there.

Haven't heard for sure if either one is acccelerating or not. I'm assuming Gropp is.

On a side note, Langley made it official today in its acquisition of Charlie Pelnik, who is expected to spend two years in the BCHL prior to enrolling at UND:

http://www.langleyrivermen.com/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=5079&leagueID=18700&page=73123

They both may be 2015, I think Olson and Poolman are possible 2014 or 15 as well. Haven't see much on the two you mention though.

Olson and Poolman are both 2014. They are overagers this year. (I think) Rowe and Voltin are both 2014, but that could change. Rowe has been injured a lot in his USHL career, and we'll see how Voltin does in Lincoln this year.

Olson and Poolman are both 2014. They are overagers this year. (I think) Rowe and Voltin are both 2014, but that could change. Rowe has been injured a lot in his USHL career, and we'll see how Voltin does in Lincoln this year.

Yeah, Olson and Poolman will play out their junior eligibility this season, so they'll be here 2014-15.

Rowe could come in as late as 2015-16, while Pelnik & Voltin could come in as late as 2016-17, and Gardner 2017-18.

I'd expect Evers to come in as a normal age freshman (2015-16), while the interesting one to watch will be Mantha. He's showing like he could very well be ready to come in next season as a normal age freshman, but with Poolman coming in and only Simpson graduating, the 8 defensemen are set. Thus it will be curious to see if Mantha is willing to delay his arrival until 2015-16.

Below is a a recruit/future roster PDF I came up with. It's pretty simple & self-explanatory, but there are a few assumptions:

1) I didn't predict any potential early departures for players who've yet to play a collegiate game. Thus, the only early departures I predicted are Rocco (after this season) and Jordan Schmaltz (after his JR season).

2) Gropp and Gersich were bumped to 2015-16's FR class being they are technically HS JR's this season.

3) I tried operating under the assumption of what we know for sure as of right now (outside of the early departure guesses), thus no roster spots were opened up for potential transfers or decommits.

4) I used the (fairly) standard roster makeup of 15 F, 8 D, & 3 G.

Roster PDF

Cool, thanks for doing that.

Both the 14/15 and 15/16 teams have the looks of being very good teams that could contend for a title.

I know a lot can happen between now and then, but if we can hold onto some of the very talented forwards that are currently committed, those could be some dynamic teams. Especially if Rocco decides to stick around for the 14/15 season...