SiouxSports.com Forum

Rule Changes

GeauxSioux

College hockey: Coaches upset over proposals

Going against the wishes of the vast majority of Division I men’s coaches — and all 12 Western Collegiate Hockey Association coaches — the NCAA Rules Committee recommended major rules changes for this upcoming season.

Among others, the committee forwarded a suggestion that the NCAA no longer allow a team to ice the puck while killing a penalty.

Another major recommendation is that the penalty of “contact to the head” becomes an automatic five-minute major and game misconduct, at minimum.

WCHA coaches forwarded the suggestion that referees have discretion whether to call a minor, a major or add an additional penalty on to the major, but that was not followed.

The Rules Committee also proposed hybrid icing. Instead of touch-up icing, referees will determine which player is going to reach the puck first by using the faceoff dots as a reference point. A similar form is used in the United States Hockey League.

It has been proposed that teams change sides for overtime.

Another proposal calls for a team that scores on a delayed penalty to still get a power play. This rule is not used in other leagues.

No icing while short handed?? The NCAA needs to be dissolved.

I think I know where the NCAA is coming from on this...In the words of Rick James, 'Cocaine is a hell of a drug'... :glare:

That icing this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. How are we to prepare our kids for the pros by stupid rules that makes no sense. And by having every school vote against this but still rule for it makes the NCAA a bunch of fools.

I just wanted to make a comment regarding getting a powerplay even if you score on a delayed penalty.

I think if you score on a delayed penalty while your goalie is still on the ice, then you should get a powerplay because it was still a five-on-five goal. If your goalie had left the ice and you have an extra skater, then it truely was a six-on-five goal and no powerplay should be awarded.

That would mean the refs would have to keep track of where the goalie is, though, which might be too much for them to handle. :glare:

You think people advising these kids as to NCAA versus the major juniors are paying attention? What a joke, college hockey will suffer some serious damage if this comes to pass.

I wonder if this NCAA Rules Committee has a email address? I think it is time for the fans to start complaining but in a tactful way.

I agree with Brad Schlossman, that it would result in the puck being shot into the stands to relieve the pressure or to get to make a line change. Would serve the NCAA right if someone got hit by a puck and sued them for such a stupid proposal. I guess they want to make games longer by pucks going out of play or simply shuffling the puck to the goalie to freeze during a powerplay. At least the clock keeps running when the puck is iced when a team is shorthanded. Shows that the people making these proposals aren't hockey people because they don't think about the unintended consequences.

I agree with Brad Schlossman, that it would result in the puck being shot into the stands to relieve the pressure or to get to make a line change. Would serve the NCAA right if someone got hit by a puck and sued them for such a stupid proposal. I guess they want to make games longer by pucks going out of play or simply shuffling the puck to the goalie to freeze during a powerplay. At least the clock keeps running when the puck is iced when a team is shorthanded. Shows that the people making these proposals aren't hockey people because they don't think about the unintended consequences.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get a delay of game penalty for shooting it into the stands?

If this icing while shorthanded rule is adopted, you will see powerplay conversion rates of 40 to 50% by teams. I am all for cutting down on obstruction and letting the skill players showcase their skills, but this would change the nature of the game itself. It also would magnify bad officiating calls. But I suppose we shouldn't expect anything less from the NCAA. :glare:

My understanding is that it now has to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel: http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees...mitteeName=PROP

Best I can find for email addresses:

Lawrence (Larry) G. Scott lscott@pac-10.org

James E. Fallis Jim.Fallis@nau.edu

Jeff Stapleton jstaplet@monmouth.edu

John Iamarino jiamarino@socon.org

James Fiore kimberly.wodiska@stonybrook.edu (executive assistant)

Ted Gumbart tgumbart@atlanticsun.org

Alan Patterson apatterson@triad.rr.com

Janet Montgomery jlm@uwa.edu

Ira Zeff izeff@nebrwesleyan.edu

Donald E. Tencher dtencher@ric.edu

Tom Byrnes tbyrnes@cacsports.com

My understanding is that it now has to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel: http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees...mitteeName=PROP

Best I can find for email addresses:

Lawrence (Larry) G. Scott lscott@pac-10.org

James E. Fallis Jim.Fallis@nau.edu

Jeff Stapleton jstaplet@monmouth.edu

John Iamarino jiamarino@socon.org

James Fiore kimberly.wodiska@stonybrook.edu (executive assistant)

Ted Gumbart tgumbart@atlanticsun.org

Alan Patterson apatterson@triad.rr.com

Janet Montgomery jlm@uwa.edu

Ira Zeff izeff@nebrwesleyan.edu

Donald E. Tencher dtencher@ric.edu

Tom Byrnes tbyrnes@cacsports.com

Are there any schools that even offer hockey in that list?

Kind of makes you wonder who the people were on the NCAA Rules Committee that approved these changes. Do they have any knowledge of hockey? Did someone forward these ideas and they blindly went along with them? :glare:

Edit: ..... Rules committee

Interesting that next to Jon Hill's name it shows he is the representative from the Big Ten Conference. Why would a hockey rules committee need a representative from a non-existent hockey conference, or does the NCAA know something we don't. :glare:

Interesting that next to Jon Hill's name it shows he is the representative from the Big Ten Conference.

Keep reading.

The rep from Brown is from the Ivy League, not the ECAC; Niagara is from the MAAC, not Atlantic Hockey; UAF is from the Great Northwest, not the CCHA.

The schools are noted by their primary NCAA conference affiliation, not their hockey conference.

The Rules Committee also proposed hybrid icing. Instead of touch-up icing, referees will determine which player is going to reach the puck first by using the faceoff dots as a reference point. A similar form is used in the United States Hockey League.

Flaming about the Rules Committee aside, let's have some real discussion.

Hybrid icing seemed like an interesting idea until I thought about the instance when the offensive player is the "winner" of this race to the dots. In that instance, is there no stoppage? (I'll assume no.) If this were enacted in the NHL, it would only cut in half those end-board crunches. In the NCAA, it would *create* a lot of end-board crunches since we have automatic icing today.

Does anybody here have hybrid icing experence to share?

Flaming about the Rules Committee aside, let's have some real discussion.

Hybrid icing seemed like an interesting idea until I thought about the instance when the offensive player is the "winner" of this race to the dots. In that instance, is there no stoppage? (I'll assume no.) If this were enacted in the NHL, it would only cut in half those end-board crunches. In the NCAA, it would *create* a lot of end-board crunches since we have automatic icing today.

Does anybody here have hybrid icing experence to share?

I haven't seen a lot of hockey where anyone uses that hybrid rule. I don't see a lot of people unhappy with that particular rule, it could probably be helpful with waving off some of the icing attempts. Frankly its the rule that doesn't allow the penalized to ice the puck on the power play that has everyone upset including most of the coaches.

Coaches, commissioners seek to overturn new icing rule

College hockey coaches and commissioners will ask the NCAA Rules Committee in a conference call later this week to overturn the proposed rule that would not allow a shorthanded team to ice the puck.

The Rules Committee surprised the college hockey world Friday by announcing that the new icing rule was planned for the next two seasons