SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia on UND v. MN and UW v. MN Rivalry

sioux7

I don't know if anyone has posted on this yet or talked about it but at the end of Friday nights game between the Gophs and Badgers, Lucia was asked on the difference between the rivalries of UND v. MN and MN v. UW. He responded in saying that he respects the Gopher v. Badger rivalry more than the UND v. MN because it is not as "vicious". This is pin-up material for the Sioux if there ever was one. It certainly reflects in how the Gophers play. I have still yet to see one of there defenseman hit anybody yet.

I don't know if anyone has posted on this yet or talked about it but at the end of Friday nights game between the Gophs and Badgers, Lucia was asked on the difference between the rivalries of UND v. MN and MN v. UW. He responded in saying that he respects the Gopher v. Badger rivalry more than the UND v. MN because it is not as "vicious". This is pin-up material for the Sioux if there ever was one. It certainly reflects in how the Gophers play. I have still yet to see one of there defenseman hit anybody yet.

I would like it better if I were him as well in the gophers last two trips there they are 2-1-1 versus 0-3-1 in Grand Forks.

If he wants vicious, he need look no further than comments many gopher fans have about him right now.

Yep. It's amazing that this guy can deliver two Titles, and usually solid teams, and some "fans" on the Strib's site want him fired barely a month or so into the season.

Yep. It's amazing that this guy can deliver two Titles, and usually solid teams, and some "fans" on the Strib's site want him fired barely a month or so into the season.

More and more the coaching world has gone from "What have you done for us?" to "What have you done for us lately?" The margin for error is shrinking all the time, about one down year and your "get out of jail free" card is used up.

Remember a few years ago they wanted to run Joe Paterno out of town on a rail? JOE PATERNO!! Guy is pretty much the face of college football, and a couple subpar seasons had them calling for his head.

Tough racket to be in these days.

More and more the coaching world has gone from "What have you done for us?" to "What have you done for us lately?" The margin for error is shrinking all the time, about one down year and your "get out of jail free" card is used up.

Remember a few years ago they wanted to run Joe Paterno out of town on a rail? JOE PATERNO!! Guy is pretty much the face of college football, and a couple subpar seasons had them calling for his head.

Tough racket to be in these days.

what about bowden this year at fsu? thats a goofy deal too. the two winningest coaches in the history of d1 football, and not much slack there. same goes for luciapet. i personally think the guy is a whiny bitch :angry: sorry had to get that in... but from the goofs pov, he delivered you guys two titles, i think you have to cut him some slack, don't you?

His feelings were hurt after coming up here. Cause we really dont like them so he is trying to beat the Sioux with his words instead of on the ice. We better cool the rivalry down children, its vicious, nobody wants that out of a rivalry! Oh Luciapet you are so soft. :angry:

I guess I didn't take it exactly the way you did. I personally thought he was comparing the two rivalries, but stating the differences, in that UND/UM rival is more vicious of a rival while UM/UW rival is more of a respectful rival, in the sense that things don't get quite so rough. As AZSioux said, it's the nature of our program. Our tradition is that we fight hard. I think Wisconsin has gotten away from their tradition, as they had the same type of program in the late 70's, early 80's. I would say Eaves changed that, as Badger Bob would've never allowed such "kind" play from Wisconsin.

I happen to like Don Lucia and think he's one of the best coaches in the country. But this sentiment is a 180 from January of this year when the Pioneer Press quoted John Hill as saying the Grand Forks trip was Lucia's favorite:

"Really, other than the fact that Don wasn't on the ice for practice, it really has been a normal week for us," Hill said. "Obviously, it'll be different up there. And I feel bad, because I know this is his most favorite road trip in the WCHA. He would love to be up there. "

He later said the same thing in a Strib article:

"Last weekend, when the Gophers played North Dakota in Grand Forks, Lucia missed his favorite road trip, staying home for an important medical test."

Personally, I don't care if Lucia has respect for the Sioux/Gopher rivalry. As a Sioux fan, it doesn't make a difference to me as I want the Sioux to beat the crap out of the Gophers each time they play. Same goes for every other team the Sioux play. I want the Sioux to win every game. I don't expect that to happen, just want it to happen. If Dean Blais were to coach there one day, I'd still want the same thing.

These coaches that whine about getting swore at at Sioux games would have been puddy in Bruce Tellman's hands.

Personally, I don't care if Lucia has respect for the Sioux/Gopher rivalry. As a Sioux fan, it doesn't make a difference to me as I want the Sioux to beat the crap out of the Gophers each time they play. Same goes for every other team the Sioux play. I want the Sioux to win every game. I don't expect that to happen, just want it to happen. If Dean Blais were to coach there one day, I'd still want the same thing.

These coaches that whine about getting swore at at Sioux games would have been puddy in Bruce Tellman's hands.

There goes Donny complaining about the big mean Sioux again, maybe he should recruit some better players if he want to beat the big mean Sioux.

I suppose the fact that he is something like 9-2-1 in the 12 games against UND, might have something to do about it.

Maybe they'll form a new club, say the Big Ten Hockey Conference?

And their end of the year tournament will be called "The Festival of Love" where the Gophers and their BFF Wisconsin and all the other teams will play with kindness and respect and try to get the automatic NCAA bid without hurting the other teams feelings. And after the tournament all the teams will gather at center ice and roast marshmallows over an open fire.

*pukes*

And their end of the year tournament will be called "The Festival of Love" where the Gophers and their BFF Wisconsin and all the other teams will play with kindness and respect and try to get the automatic NCAA bid without hurting the other teams feelings. And after the tournament all the teams will gather at center ice and roast marshmallows over an open fire.

*pukes*

Sounds like a good fit with modern day academia.

*pukes*

That is about what it sounds like.

I guess I didn't take it exactly the way you did. I personally thought he was comparing the two rivalries, but stating the differences, in that UND/UM rival is more vicious of a rival while UM/UW rival is more of a respectful rival, in the sense that things don't get quite so rough. As AZSioux said, it's the nature of our program. Our tradition is that we fight hard. I think Wisconsin has gotten away from their tradition, as they had the same type of program in the late 70's, early 80's. I would say Eaves changed that, as Badger Bob would've never allowed such "kind" play from Wisconsin.

This is pretty much how I interpreted it, too.

I guess they don't call us the Fighting Sioux for nothing, It's kind of like the Big Bad Bruins or the Broad Street Bullies, hockey is not a finesse game, hockey is a full contact fast paced sport, did he expect to get showed with rose petals? The UND coaching staff brings in players that buy into a system and know their roles. If some cant understand that Hockey is a rought and tumble sport they need to find a different job or profession. As for Lucia, I hope he stays on as the coach in Minnesota he is doing great job right now. :) Now we find out that he has lost another player like 6 games into the season, something isn't right in Minnesota and you can bet the lynch mobs will be out in full force.

Not much wonder Lucia and his style gets no respect from NHL management. The NHL wants hockey players not Minnesota cupcakes.