SiouxSports.com Forum

Voting Results

darell1976

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you think before we get results of the voting on the Spirit Lake Tribe today.

Depends on the conditions at the cemetary so the opponents can get around and get the names off of the tombstones for the ballots.

These guys basically said whatever it takes as long as they win. The truth or facts are not important . If the cemetaries are muddy or wet it may take a few weeks.

If the vote doesn't turn out the way the opponents want it to, they may need more time to collect "absentee ballots".

Depends on the conditions at the cemetary so the opponents can get around and get the names off of the tombstones for the ballots.

These guys basically said whatever it takes as long as they win. The truth or facts are not important . If the cemetaries are muddy or wet it may take a few weeks.

If the vote doesn't turn out the way the opponents want it to, they may need more time to collect "absentee ballots".

I was going to type the same type of thing. I was thinking depends how many extra votes they have to stuff into the ballot box.

In addition to what Ira stated above, there are already reports coming out that there are a lot of ballots with hanging chads. They'll probably have to bring in the cross-eyed guy from Florida to look at the chads. :D

Depends.

If the anti-nicknamers win, the results will be very soon.

If they lose, then it will take a while to find some loophole to invalidate the vote.

Unofficial results: From WDAZ

Support the nickname - 776

Oppose the nickname - 369

The guy more or less spelled it out for you: this will never be over.

Don't you get it? You might have won this time, but there are people on both reservations who will never let this issue die. They'll break contracts, go to court, etc.

I have my doubts that the Standing Rock leaders will allow a vote, even if it was 99-to-1 for voting.

We're at a point now where I think UND could really make a clear-cut line in the sand and put itself head-and-shoulders above this whole mess, morally, by announcing they will change the nickname.

I know I'm going to take my lumps for this, but as I said here, win the Spirit Lake vote and change the name. The University comes out looking like the good guys, the anti-nickname people, the bad.

Sure you can say that UND should continue to fight for the name, but the anti crowd isn't going to stop and they have time working in their favor. UND has a deadline to meet with NCAA and a possible conference invitation waiting for resolving the issue. The point has been made by this vote, that the NA community doesn't agree with the NCAA that the nickname is "hostile and abusive". UND has been vindicated.

As Sica always says, "Control what is yours to control." UND and the SBoHE can control the issue right now.

It's kind of ironic that the nickname supporters never once took the Native Americans for granted. We always said there should be a vote. The very people who claim the nickname is bad always want to deny a vote. They take the tribes for granted. I am glad there was a vote and glad the pro nickname crowd came out on top. It's amazing what can happen when people get a chance to vote. People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do this kind of thing with African Americans all the time. "You're dumb, everyone is a racist, you're lazy...etc, etc." It's a tragedy and a lot of good people get screwed because of their money making business. Do they really want an end to racism? No, because then they have no power. Same goes for these people who say "it will never end." This is now their full time business. If they win they get the glory and on to something else, if they lose they keep it moving. Good job to the tribe and good job to all tribal members who went out and voted whether it was yes or no. Now Ron His Horse is Thunder needs to step up and let his tribe have a vote. If you truly feel confident in your argument, what do you have to lose? The tribe members aren't dumb, let them have their voice.

Ok lets say that the Standing Rock tribe has a vote and that vote also goes in a wide margin for keeping the nickname.

So what? What does that mean?

It surely does not mean that the leaders of the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes are now forced into signing a long term agreement to let UND use the nickname.

I think they would be hard pressed to dispute the totals. 2/3 of the vote in favor would be tough to argue, but you never know. :D

Remember, there will be 2 new council people and maybe a new chairmen in June and if you these are opponents of the name then this issue will be brought up again. This issue isn't gonna die peope until the name is changed!

Does the will of the people in the tribe mean anything? If they (the council) ignores the vote and I'm not saying they will or won't, then it proves they don't care about their own people. I hope they respect the vote and move on. If the reverse had happened, I would be mad, but I would move on. I can only speak for myself and my feeling was that the tribes have a right to vote and express themselves. They did and I feel the Tribal Councils need to go with it. In elections, 2/3 of a vote is a lot. I know, my guy lost by that much in a recent Congressional election and it stings. We should celebrate our right to vote and our leaders need to respect what we want. That's my two cents. What do you think Goon?

The guy more or less spelled it out for you: this will never be over.

Don't you get it? You might have won this time, but there are people on both reservations who will never let this issue die. They'll break contracts, go to court, etc.

I have my doubts that the Standing Rock leaders will allow a vote, even if it was 99-to-1 for voting.

We're at a point now where I think UND could really make a clear-cut line in the sand and put itself head-and-shoulders above this whole mess, morally, by announcing they will change the nickname.

I disagree, I think bowing to the "politically correct" minority does very little to "make a clear-cut line in the sand". If anything it's a step back, what if a handful of people don't like the next nickname, or the one after that. And exactly what do you mean "morally", if changing the name is "moral" to you, than keeping it, respecting the will of the majority, is immoral?