SiouxSports.com Forum

Voting Results

darell1976

it's just a damn nickname. Conference membership is what's good for the school, big picture. Anything that threatens that ain't worth it, IMO.

Hey Skippy don't worry about UND's conference membership, I am pretty sure UND still has more Division one championships than your mediocre mid major. I am pretty sure if your beloved Agriculture school was going to lose their nick name you wouldn't be saying that it's just a nickname. It's about cowering to the political correctness cabal. The school owes it to the people that donated the money for the lawsuit to put up a fight. The Fighting Sioux nickname is part of storied history and I am sick and tired of all the Bison fans suggesting that UND take the moral high ground and drop the name. Just wait till the PC Nazis come after your logo. This is where our country is going. You laugh now someday the finger will be pointed at you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Skippy don't worry about UND's conference membership, I am pretty sure UND still has more Division one championships than your mediocre mid major. I am pretty sure if your beloved Agriculture school was going to lose their nick name you wouldn't be saying that it's just a nickname. It's about cowering to the political correctness cabal. The school owes it to the people that donated the money for the lawsuit to put up a fight. The Fighting Sioux nickname is part of storied history and I am sick and tired of all the Bison fans suggesting that UND take the moral high ground and drop the name. Just wait till the PC Nazis come after your logo. This is where our country is going. You laugh now someday the finger will be pointed at you.

Thank You Goon! Fighting Sioux clothing is one of the highest selling in college sports. It's one of the most beautiful logos in the world. The loss of the logo will be another step towards people not knowing what the NA heritage is. If we change the name, few will know about the trIbes in North Dakota and i believe that its a huge step backward for Native Americans. I just dont get what they will gain out of the name change other than people mad about them changing it. Its sad. Really sad.

OK, I'm setting myself up for flaming but I can't stay quiet. I am as big a supporter of the name and logo as anyone. I believe that we use the name and logo with the utmost respect, loyalty and love. But, I do not believe that our name and logo in anyway helps to educate people who the Sioux people are or were. Not once in my travels has anyone asked for the history of the Sioux people when they admire the Sioux logo on the clothing I am wearing......not once.

Im not saying around the country but more here in the Grand Forks area. Like the nice ceremony they had at the Ralph this year and in the past. I know people arent gonna come up to someone randomly and ask about Sioux heritage. If the Vikings were not a logo for Minnesota i would rarely say that word but just by hearing that name all the time, i have read more into what Vikings did.

Anyone have an idea of how much $$$ is made off of the Sioux logo? North Dakota fans are some of the most loyal and at the last 3 frozen fours that I attended wherein our team played - the Sioux paraphanalia was always the first to go! I asked one vendor in Denver about my observation and he noted the same - our fans travel well and spend freely. Point being - someone is making some nice $$$ on that logo? On the other hand, I wonder if it is the logo or the loyalty of our fans? If its the logo - then we fight for capitalism, if its loyalty - then it won't matter to our grandkids what the logo looks like!

No, I'm not. On the contrary, nothing on this message board annoys me more than when somebody "scolds" me for liking the Gophers (as if I don't have the right to cheer for any team I want to cheer for). I don't know why you felt the need to "play the Gopher card" in a thread that has NOTHING to do with them. If you must question why I like them at least have the decency to start a new topic rather than threadjack this one.

You're right...this thread has nothing to do with the Gophers. If I'm not mistaken, you said it was "disturbing" that someone could be a Bison fan and also a UND hockey fan, yet you are both a Gopher and Sioux hockey fan. So "nothing on this message board annoys you more than when somebody "scolds" you for liking the Gophers", yet you can tell people that it's disturbing if they like NDSU and Sioux hockey.

OK, got it...makes perfect sense. I'll await your "I'm entitled to my own opinion" response from you.

OK, I'm setting myself up for flaming but I can't stay quiet. I am as big a supporter of the name and logo as anyone. I believe that we use the name and logo with the utmost respect, loyalty and love. But, I do not believe that our name and logo in anyway helps to educate people who the Sioux people are or were. Not once in my travels has anyone asked for the history of the Sioux people when they admire the Sioux logo on the clothing I am wearing......not once.

I pretty much agree.

I can't help but wonder whether Longie and his buddies would actually be kind of disappointed if the nickname ends up being retired due to Standing Rock either not allowing a vote, or its council not changing its stance even if a vote is allowed and turns out similarly to the Spirit Lake vote. In such a scenario, he wouldn't/shouldn't get any credit since Spirit Lake would still be on record as being in favor of the nickname, so he'd still be on record as having failed in his quest.

So what is your point? Do you think people/sport's fans really care about the origin/history of the Vikings, the (Fighting) Irish, the Chippewas... So unless education of others is involved, a nickname/logo representing a "group" of people can't be used? Heck, most Sioux youth today don't even know their own history!

The guy has a reasonable point. Many Bison fans are also UND hockey fans. I would hate to come to this web site and find there is no place for discourse or debate.

Anyone who thinks Bison fans would be all that concerned about the name issue are mistaken. Many enjoy the whining and fuss and the fact that it any negative publicity for UND is good for them.

I would hope most UND hockey fans are simply UND fans. Anyone who might feel threatened by what someone posts on this website about the subjects here might need to get out more.

First - let me say I want to take advantage of the good doctor iramurphy, M.D. (psychiatry) being "in" and pledge that I will follow his prescription and indeed get out more. If ever there was someone that felt threatened by posts on this website it would be me. I live in fear of my computer (I am cringing as I write this).

Second - I seriously doubt that the 'SU fans positng on here regarding this topic are Sioux hockey fans. I also doubt that any of the 'SU fans that are Sioux hockey fans are against the current moniker, so I'm not sure what reasonable point it is you thought MplsBison was making.

Third - I didn't know MplsBison had so m(any) fans of his posts on this website!

Fourth - My comment about rather hearing what Sioux hockey fans had to say vs. what 'SU fans had to say on any subject was not meant seriously. You see, in addition to being emotionally impaired (see item one above) I am also sadly "smiley icon usage" impaired. Not to worry, I will be seeking additional professional help immediately.

Yet you hold it up with enough pride to use it in your screen name. It is not just a "nickname", there is so much PRIDE, HONOR, TRADITION and EXCELLENCE behind the Bison. Try to get a serious group together to change the Bison, you will get the chance to see some of your opponents defend these noble traits to their very core. There is a real LOVE for the BISON by their fans, just like the SIOUX and their fans.

But is it worth costing your school membership in an auto-bid conference? The only auto-bid conference you have a shot at getting into for a long time?

No.

So, it's just a damn nickname, eh?

What if the NCAA demanded NDSU change its nickname for whatever egregious reason? It's hard to believe the crocodile tears being shed by some Bison fans on this issue. It's sad to see and say but some (only a small minority, it's true, but nevertheless...) Bison fans are simply anti-UND and will use any form of distorted logic and abstract reasoning that simply defies imagination in an effort to put one over on UND big-time. For some, this is simply screw UND whatever the cost.

Like I said, if it was a choice between the Bison nickname and membership in the only auto-bid conference that we could get in for many years, I pick the conference every time.

Using myself as an example, I will respectfully disagree. Growing up in Wisconsin, I heard of the Sioux (the Native Americans, not the school nickname), but that's about all I knew about them. I would bet that that is the case for virtually everywhere else that doesn't live in the northern plains. After coming here, I learned a fair bit about the tribes and some of the unique history and culture they present. If we were never the Sioux nickname, I'm not sure I could say the same, since our nickname is the reason I'm somewhat educated about them.

Using myself as an example, I will respectfully disagree. Growing up in Wisconsin, I heard of the Sioux (the Native Americans, not the school nickname), but that's about all I knew about them. I would bet that that is the case for virtually everywhere else that doesn't live in the northern plains. After coming here, I learned a fair bit about the tribes and some of the unique history and culture they present. If we were never the Sioux nickname, I'm not sure I could say the same, since our nickname is the reason I'm somewhat educated about them.

I'm with you. I enjoy seeing the drum ceremonies and dancing at games when it occurs. I can honestly say I know more about the culture due to my U of ND connection. Do I fully understand the ceremonies? No, but they are very powerful to watch and I have actually gone online to research some of the traditions and how important dances were/are. If our name was Flickertails, I really don't think I would have thought to explore the Sioux culture.

... I do not believe that our name and logo in anyway helps to educate people who the Sioux people are or were. Not once in my travels has anyone asked for the history of the Sioux people when they admire the Sioux logo on the clothing I am wearing......not once.

Can I ask about the flip-side? Do you personally believe that when you wear a jersey, sweatshirt, etc. that the people you encounter think that you are mocking the Sioux; do you think that the people you meet believe that by wearing that clothing you are placing yourself in a superior position to the Sioux?

I'll also add this much: I think the number of people who support the Univ. of North Dakota who are far more likely to learn about the Native Americans because of the nickname is greater than the number of people who take the time to learn about say, the Bison or Jackrabbits.

Heck, I know if goon or damstraight had a gun and me unarmed in a room, they'd blow me away no questions asked. Just over an opinion.

Oh Skippy, Skippy, Skippy seriously you're being really dumb. Stop worrying about our school. Seriously.

Like I said, if it was a choice between the Bison nickname and membership in the only auto-bid conference that we could get in for many years, I pick the conference every time.

With all due respect, MplsBison, you go to your church and I'll go to mine. Your nickname hasn't been severely tested and challenged and likely never will. Furthermore, already having membership in said conferences, you really don't have anything to worry about do you? So for you in reality it's simply a rhetorical question at the moment, one you just might have to reassess your opinion on in the unlikely event push would come to shove. Either that, or it's just a game you can play while woolgathering.

With all due respect, MplsBison, you go to your church and I'll go to mine. Your nickname hasn't been severely tested and challenged and likely never will. Furthermore, already having membership in said conferences, you really don't have anything to worry about do you? So for you in reality it's simply a rhetorical question at the moment, one you just might have to reassess your opinion on in the unlikely event push would come to shove. Either that, or it's just a game you can play while woolgathering.

I'm telling you right now, if NDSU was in UND's exact position, I would be in favor of dropping the Bison nickname in order to secure Summit membership.

It's that simple.

I'm telling you right now, if NDSU was in UND's exact position, I would be in favor of dropping the Bison nickname in order to secure Summit membership.

It's that simple.

I respect your position, MplsBison, but we'll have to agree to disagree. For you, at the moment, it is that simple, because it's a theoretical not a real-life challenge at the moment. Years ago Bobby Kennedy when asked about his pursuing the presidency of the United States quite adamantly ruled out that option for a long time. When, later, suddenly reenergized by then Minnesota U.S. Senator Eugene McCarthy's strong challenge tp sitting president Lyndon Johnson in the 1968 New Hampshire primary, Bobby suddenly "reassessed" his position. He quickly did a 180 degree turn and tossed his hat into the ring. I believe you at the moment when you say you would choose conference membership, and maybe you would even if the UND/NDSU situation were reversed at the moment. All I can reiterate is that the NDSU situation you talk about is theoretical, and is something you will likely never have to face in this either-or scernario. Knowing the scenario you are operating under (NDSU entry into the Summit or other auto-bid conferences) you are quite safe in saying what you say. By the way, why do you really care if UND is admkitted into the Summit anyway?

As we all have noted, tribal councils are more a dictatorship than a democracy. The members of Spirit Lake have overwhelmingly voted in favor of the Fighting Sioux name and logo. Can the tribal council still formally oppose our use of the name and logo? If so, to whom will the NCAA listen.

If the members of Standing Rock manage to get to vote on the issue and also vote their support of our countinued use of the name and logo, can their tribal council formally oppose our use of the name and logo?