SiouxSports.com Forum

Voting Results

darell1976

Me and my family were in GF today and we were in Target shopping. When we got to the checkout we were the 3rd in line. The check out girl was this bubbly person who struck up a conversation with the 2 customers ahead of us, both caucasions. When it was our turn all she said was hi" and "did you find everything". That was it.

You should have felt fortunate. I don't even get that sometimes when I go shopping.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in the Herald today that a Lakota band from SD was scheduled to play at the Fritz but cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. Huh? So many peolple on this site have said they would like to educate themselves more about Dakota/Lakota culture and a native entertainment group comes to GF and no one wants to see them! Just goes to prove my point that 99% of name supporters don't give a damn about NA's or Native culture. And you all know thats the truth. All they are concerned about is thier precious logo/nickname. People of Standing Rock, take note of this. Me and my family were in GF today and we were in Target shopping. When we got to the checkout we were the 3rd in line. The check out girl was this bubbly person who struck up a conversation with the 2 customers ahead of us, both caucasions. When it was our turn all she said was "hi" and "did you find everything". That was it. Thats how it is for Natives in towns like DL and GF. You stay classy GF!!

What is your point? What does this add to the discussion. Your sure like to use a lot of labels.

Were you actually insulted at Target? Or did you just feel "slighted" because she didn't treat you the same as the previous customers? Is it possible that she knew them? Or were they cute guys that she wanted to flirt with? Or were they friendly people that started the conversations? A lot of times people react based on the attitude that you project. But claiming that you were mistreated because the girl working at the checkout counter just did her job is really pushing it.

Yeah good call 82Siouxguy I am pretty sure most of us have been insulted from time to time. I also sure that Fourwindsboy Your being insulted at the Target has nothing to do with the Logo or UND.

I read in the Herald today that a Lakota band from SD was scheduled to play at the Fritz but cancelled due to lack of ticket sales. Huh? So many peolple on this site have said they would like to educate themselves more about Dakota/Lakota culture and a native entertainment group comes to GF and no one wants to see them! Just goes to prove my point that 99% of name supporters don't give a damn about NA's or Native culture. And you all know thats the truth. All they are concerned about is thier precious logo/nickname. People of Standing Rock, take note of this. Me and my family were in GF today and we were in Target shopping. When we got to the checkout we were the 3rd in line. The check out girl was this bubbly person who struck up a conversation with the 2 customers ahead of us, both caucasions. When it was our turn all she said was "hi" and "did you find everything". That was it. Thats how it is for Natives in towns like DL and GF. You stay classy GF!!

I can only comment on DL but take it for whats its worth. The logo doesn't cause discrimination in DL. The discrimination comes from the fact that NA's are a sizable minority group in the area. Same thing happens all over the country to other sizable minority groups. You may be correct that discrimination does happen but I have yet to see evidence that the logo is somehow at the root of it or is a form of discrimination/racism.

OMG!!!!! Please do not come in here with this absolute drivel. How was the show promoted? Was it even given a chance to reap the tickets sales from people who may have chosen to come to the show within 2 weeks prior to its playing? GF is not the Twin Cities. Even "Rent" had a night or two of poor attendance at the Orpheum; this was true notwithstanding all of the thespians and effete, pseudo-intellectuals in the TC area. As far as your Target experience goes, trying to stretch what allegedly happened there into some sort of racial insult says more about you than it does about the girl. You should familiarize yourself with the medical/psychological condition called "paranoia." Maybe this girl knew the people ahead of you. Did you ever think of that? If I walk past you and look at you and do not say "hi" because I do not know you, that must mean I am insulting you, right? I would not want to bear witness to all of the hobgoblins in your psychological closet. My God. Get a grip, if you please.

Everything is an insult and a race-based one it seems like with 4winds.

I guess every time a salesperson walked by me without asking me how I was faring should be taken as an attack on the fact that I'm Jewish and don't need help spending my ample armloads of money.

Shoot, that's why those motorized carts are there at grocery stores and Target. They aren't for overweight people who have lost the ability to be mobile. There for us Jews so that we can shop in comfort because it is so hard on our lower backs and legs to carry all that cash around in our back pockets. ???

If you want someone you don't know to slobber all over you 4winds, go to a strip joint. They're paid to do that. Otherwise, welcome to "Joe Consumer" land.

Time to start waking up and looking at the world as an individual, not as the spokesperson or sole representation of your race. Last time I checked, your name hasn't popped into the headlines as "Head NA of the world." I would have put the word "Chief" like in CEO, or COO of business, but surely that would have been racist.

Fourwindsboy said: Me and my family were in GF today and we were in Target shopping. When we got to the checkout we were the 3rd in line. The check out girl was this bubbly person who struck up a conversation with the 2 customers ahead of us, both caucasions. When it was our turn all she said was "hi" and "did you find everything". That was it. Thats how it is for Natives in towns like DL and GF. You stay classy GF!!

Fourwindsboy, Did you ever think for a mintue that maybe it's your attitude towards other people and not your ethnic background. Just a thought? Try to see if from someone elses perspective. Does it really matter what color the people in line were? IF you go to Walmart and or Target you see people from all ethnic backgrounds. This is America most people I know dont' care what ethnic background a person is. Most of us have friends of all back ethnic and racial grounds and it really doesnt' matter to us if they were white, Black, brown or red? Also, you seem to play the victim card a lot. The fact that you have faced racism in this world has nothing to do about the Fighting Sioux logo.

The fact that you have faced racism in this world has nothing to do about the Fighting Sioux logo.

Exactly!!!

When I was working on the Navajo Reservation, I was told that the Navajo were not friends (polite way to say it) with the Sioux. Goes back many, many generations but the people who told me this weren't clear as to why. They shared this with me when I told them my home was North Dakota.

Many Sioux fans live outside of Grand Forks. I live two hours away, and I do not read the GF Herald. Therefore I had no idea the concert was even scheduled. But even if I had known, I have to admit that I would not have purchased tickets. Not because of the act, but because we haven't bought tickets for any other act playing in Grand Forks, with the exception of Bill Cosby. Its a distance thing. I would think there are many other Sioux fans in the same position. Don't paint us all with your tainted brush.

You're Jewish?!? :)

*note to self, remove redwing77 from friends list before 'they' find out ??? *

Cat's out of the bag. Sorry.

Funny, though, a Jew who believes that the victim mentality is a pox on humanity. Heh, I even have all but 4 of my father's family members (only his aunt, mother, father, and uncle survived) having died at the hands of the Nazis but I'm not going around claiming that all blond haired, blue eyed people with german ancestry owe me anything.

But I digress.

I was so hurt. To this day, I haven't been back.

This certainly isn't the point of this thread, but here goes anyway: especially today,
that's
the answer. Take your business elsewhere. I'm getting "welcomed" and "thanked" every time I turn around these days. I'm a regular at my neighborhood grocery-I tend to see one checker a lot, she's shown me pictures of her grandchildren over the years. Not that long ago this woman who had seen my shopping numerous times asked me "did you find everything you needed tonight?" Obviously she was coached to say that to everyone; there's a corporate friendliness push in every store as the economy goes downhill.

Someone who finds the need to complain on a message board about percieved slights is just going to keep searching for excuses in life. Just another example for this guy.

...that's why those motorized carts are there at grocery stores and Target. They aren't for overweight people who have lost the ability to be mobile.

Again, off the track but in terms of who I've seen USING those carts I'd say its about 3-1 in favor of overweight people vs. those with oxygen tanks or something like that.

The time that stands out for me is seeing one of those big chubby guys sitting in one of those carts outside a grocery, talking on his cell. He didn't have any bags with him: I felt like saying "couldn't you talk in your CAR and let someone else use that thing?"

I went to the Wal-Mart in Devils Lake and the clerk didn't chit chat with me. She just took my money and gave me my receipt. I was so hurt. To this day, I haven't been back.

1228.gif

LOL Sioux-cia!!! That's exactly what what's wrong with (most) who oppose the name/logo. Like Dennis Leary says: lifes hard - wear a f*%$ing helmet. If you base your happiness on how seeing the name/logo makes you feel, then maybe psychotropic medications needs to be applied. You can only get over it when you get over yourself ???

This same band has canceled their Thursday concert in Fargo. Does that mean that the Bison nickname has to go as well?

I love your sig line. Since I have moved to Vegas, I have seen a lot of racism against me, stay classy Fourwinds. ???

I love your sig line. Since I have moved to Vegas, I have seen a lot of racism against me, stay classy Fourwinds. ???

You call yourself "omaha?" TRAITOR!!! :)

Chief- We do that as a courtesy. Sometimes, we have to carry all of our money that we're worth in our pockets and let those who are overweight have the carts. We're big on charity. :D

Sioux-cia: I went to Lowes today and they have "greeters." Well... that woman didn't even smile at me! I think I'm going to file a hate crime charge on her! She greeted the old man in front of me though.... *sigh*

Sioux-cia: I went to Lowes today and they have "greeters." Well... that woman didn't even smile at me! I think I'm going to file a hate crime charge on her! She greeted the old man in front of me though.... *sigh*

Ya gotta quit wearing your yarmulka when you're shopping. You know how racist people are!!