SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers are they out of control?

Riverman

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind a good scrum - but this Crap is out of hand

If the league office fails to address this latest incident they are gutless, they are part of the problem.

the league comish & head of officials are a NON funny Joke

who can straighten this out ? the NCAA - :glare:

Hitting someone while down & their back turned with their helmet off is as bad as I have ever seen

This stuff is turning into real hate - just making our Crappy refs turn the game into a steady march to the box is not the answer - heads need to roll at the top

I don't mind a good scrum - but this Crap is out of hand

the league comish & head of officials are a NON funny Joke

who can straighten this out ? the NCAA - :glare:

Hitting someone while down & their back turned with their helmet off is as bad as I have ever seen

This stuff is turning into real hate - just making our Crappy refs turn the game into a steady march to the box is not the answer - heads need to roll at the top

Yup.

Here comes another NCAA crackdown.

Remember the definition:

My entry to the NCAA Dictionary:

Crackdown - noun:- An action taken by the NCAA Rules Committee in response to serious or repeated misinterpretations or misapplication of the rules as stated in the applicable NCAA rulebook (insert specific legal mumbojumbo) by on-ice officials. The result of a crackdown can vary, but usually results in a single interpretation and standardized application of the rule stated in the initial crackdown. For example, all hits along the boards deemed checking from behind shall automatically be called a five minute major and the player immediately given either a game misconduct or game disqualification based upon the judgment of the on ice official.

What's left unsaid is this: Crackdowns' main purpose is to remove the judgment of the officials from certain aspects of the game because the NCAA Rules Committee feels that the on-ice officials continuously cannot call that aspect consistently nor appropriately.

Crackdowns would not be necessary if hiring practices and accountability standards were not only enforced, but rigidly applied to every official at every level within the DI ranks. INCLUDING that of head official. That is simply nonexistent or rarely ever achieved. Hence, crackdowns.

NOTE: I don't expect the officials to be perfect. I expect them to be consistent, or consistent as much as humanly possible. I expect the rules to be applied equally throughout a contest and throughout a season including the post season. That CONTINUOUSLY is a problem.

I expect them to be consistent, or consistent as much as humanly possible. I expect the rules to be applied equally throughout a contest and throughout a season including the post season. That CONTINUOUSLY is a problem.

Oh they are consistent, consistently SH**Y.

Don Lucia just endorsed that SCH(hack) did last night, he called it sticking up for a team mate.

Also, so don't expect a suspension or an appology. Also, Lucia said he is going to start recruiting these types of

players.

Don Lucia just endorsed that SCH(hack) did last night, he called it sticking up for a team mate.

Also, so don't expect a suspension or an appology. Also, Lucia said he is going to start recruiting these types of

players.

Was a pretty bold comment on Lucia's part! Kind of ripped on the league saying that if they are not going to start enforcing the rules then he would start recruiting physical type players.

Was a pretty bold comment on Lucia's part! Kind of ripped on the league saying that if they are not going to start enforcing the rules then he would start recruiting physical type players.

You know tDon does have a complaint, how many of us have said what he has said? A lot of us.

I would be willing to bet that the WCHA and Coaches are going to bend Greg Shepherds ear this week.

Just for the Record tDon looked pissed.

you'd be pissed too if your team was giving up 6+ goals on a regular basis. :D

schack went overboard, but as many have said, the officials are a big part of this, there needs to be changes

gooferz... i am actually surprised it took a whole year for your true colors to show... you are a true goof fan (that's not a compliment)

shep and mccleod need to shoulder some responsibility and step up, just call the damn game like it is intended to, all the time. dont let teams get away with dirty stick work (even if they are losing by 3 or 4 goals). call the obstruction, call the holding, and call the slashes and crosschecks that happen after the whistles. we may see 20 penalties a game, but believe me teams will adjust. i would rather see a clean, free flowing game.

none of us here like/respect tdon, but i don't blame him for his comments, hopefully it will get the ball rolling in the front offices.

GO SIOUX!!! AND GO PURPLE COWS!!! PUT ANOTHER 6 SPOT ON THE GOOFS!!!

you'd be pissed too if your team was giving up 6+ goals on a regular basis. :D

schack went overboard, but as many have said, the officials are a big part of this, there needs to be changes

gooferz... i am actually surprised it took a whole year for your true colors to show... you are a true goof fan (that's not a compliment)

shep and mccleod need to shoulder some responsibility and step up, just call the damn game like it is intended to, all the time. dont let teams get away with dirty stick work (even if they are losing by 3 or 4 goals). call the obstruction, call the holding, and call the slashes and crosschecks that happen after the whistles. we may see 20 penalties a game, but believe me teams will adjust. i would rather see a clean, free flowing game.

none of us here like/respect tdon, but i don't blame him for his comments, hopefully it will get the ball rolling in the front offices.

GO SIOUX!!! AND GO PURPLE COWS!!! PUT ANOTHER 6 SPOT ON THE GOOFS!!!

Oh by the way the Refs are going to lose control of this one in MPLS as well.

1. A Schack/Boe fight? When. Boe got run in the corner after the bad hit at center on Barriball (or was it Carmen?). A pile-up happened, like six players, and out if it comes Boe, leg twisted under, down on the ice, no helmet, and Schack pounding on the back of the head of a guy face down on the ice. There was no offer, there was no square-up: there was a run, and an opportunist.

1a. Jones offered Lucia. Lucia ran. Period. That's all that need to be said about either team.

2. None of this would have happened if MSU-M would know their place and not have scored on the three (four?) fat juicy breakaways given up by the suspect (at best) UM defense. Shame on MSU-M, right? :D

3. The WCHA officials are calling, well, nothing. "Let 'em play!" I'd love to. When'll they start? All they do now is clutch and grab and interfere because it's not called.

3a. A broken neck didn't trigger real change. A broken neck didn't. I guess, unfortunately, we know what it's going to take.

4. The NCAA do something? Let me give you a clue: I corresponded with a member of a key NCAA committee last week* (re: Gwozdecky of the Wandering Coach Hockey Association). If you're expecting them to step in don't be holding your breath. It's a league matter I guess.

5. I haven't laughed as hard as I did this morning when the "Beyond the Pond" guys on KFAN were talking about how taking the masks off would be a good thing. Really? You want to see Gophers get their butts kicked for that trademarked facewash they're so adept at? That's what'll happen when there's no mask and you really are getting into another guy's face with a glove.

* For those who don't believe me, a well-regarded former poster here was on cc:.

God Anderson is BAD! He missed an obvious bowtie crosscheck by Hoeffel right at the beginning of the game that happened right in front of him.

FHG26 I think most of us will agree that the refs sucks and they are the cause of a lot of the games getting out of control.

Also, I couldn't believe all of the obstruction that goes on now, it is getting worse by the game. I think the WCHA coaches may have to take issue with the officials in this league. Fans need to email the WCHA and the NCAA as well.

FHG26 I think most of us will agree that the refs sucks and they are the cause of a lot of the games getting out of control.

Also, I couldn't believe all of the obstruction that goes on now, it is getting worse by the game. I think the WCHA coaches may have to take issue with the officials in this league. Fans need to email the WCHA and the NCAA as well.

Agree 100%

Yeah, it's bad. You know they started the year doing what they said they were going to do and called everything. But eventually it just went to the way it's always been. As it's been said, it is going to take someone getting SERIOUSLY injured (another Bina incident for example) for them to change.....and thats a shame. You know I'm sure there have been plenty of people that have e-mailed, called the WCHA and NCAA, they must be aware of it but they just choose to sweep it under the rug and ignore the problem. Papa Shep is always at a game over the weekends as well and must see this......he was probably in Mankato last night with Baby Shep there.

Papa Shep is always at a game over the weekends as well and must see this......he was probably in Mankato last night with Baby Shep there.

He was in St. Cloud; apparently he's been convinced the Sioux are the bad guys also.

1. A Schack/Boe fight? When. Boe got run in the corner after the bad hit at center on Barriball (or was it Carmen?). A pile-up happened, like six players, and out if it comes Boe, leg twisted under, down on the ice, no helmet, and Schack pounding on the back of the head of a guy face down on the ice. There was no offer, there was no square-up: there was a run, and an opportunist.

1a. Jones offered Lucia. Lucia ran. Period. That's all that need to be said about either team.

2. None of this would have happened if MSU-M would know their place and not have scored on the three (four?) fat juicy breakaways given up by the suspect (at best) UM defense. Shame on MSU-M, right? :D

3. The WCHA officials are calling, well, nothing. "Let 'em play!" I'd love to. When'll they start? All they do now is clutch and grab and interfere because it's not called.

3a. A broken neck didn't trigger real change. A broken neck didn't. I guess, unfortunately, we know what it's going to take.

4. The NCAA do something? Let me give you a clue: I corresponded with a member of a key NCAA committee last week* (re: Gwozdecky of the Wandering Coach Hockey Association). If you're expecting them to step in don't be holding your breath. It's a league matter I guess.

5. I haven't laughed as hard as I did this morning when the "Beyond the Pond" guys on KFAN were talking about how taking the masks off would be a good thing. Really? You want to see Gophers get their butts kicked for that trademarked facewash they're so adept at? That's what'll happen when there's no mask and you really are getting into another guy's face with a glove.

* For those who don't believe me, a well-regarded former poster here was on cc:.

Like the guys said on kfan when these punks leave the college ranks and play minor league hockey and they no longer have masks on they all of a sudden become clean players.I would love to see the masks go and then see what some of these rodents players would do then.

players.

This would be the difference between Comley and Michigan State and Lucia and the UofM. Its going to take the higher-ups making it clear that giving the entire university a black eye will not be tolerated.

He was in St. Cloud; apparently he's been convinced the Sioux are the bad guys also.

Correct: G. Shepherd was in St. Cloud.

Why? Because UND and UM went at it and so did UND and DU.

Yet there was nothing in the UND and SCSU game last night like that.

So apparently (according to some at least) the Sioux were in Mankato and Denver. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1LqrLcAIs...feature=related

Was Anderson facing Zajac?

I am not getting into this with you two.

Ha...That cross-check is comparable to the situation last night? Give me a break.

Did Zajac retaliate to what he perceived as a questionable hit on a teammate? Yes.

Was it Necessary what Zajac did? No.

Was there intent to injure on Zajac's part? No.

Did Zajac jump the Gopher guy after he hit him? No.

Where are the similarities? From what I can tell, only my first point is similar to what Schack did last night.

This would be the difference between Comley and Michigan State and Lucia and the UofM. Its going to take the higher-ups making it clear that giving the entire university a black eye will not be tolerated.

LUCIA condoned his thugs actions. I don't look for SCH(Hack) to be suspended very long if at all.

Pathetic.