SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers are they out of control?

Riverman

If the league office fails to address this latest incident they are gutless, they are part of the problem. For instance Lucia was injuried from an ebow to the head by Trevor Burress (sp) so the players while not fighting are getting retribution in more dangerous ways. I put this on the officials for failing to ref the games correctly.

Shocking if they would; but will big Lucia man up and follow Comley's lead? The officials need to turn these games into PP fests, until the players get it. All kinds of stuff is being allowed, and both teams in any game need to play the game the way it's called, which, at this point, is lots of hooking, holding, and cheap shots.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the league office fails to address this latest incident they are gutless, they are part of the problem. For instance Lucia was injuried from an ebow to the head by Trevor Burress (sp) so the players while not fighting are getting retribution in more dangerous ways. I put this on the officials for failing to ref the games correctly.

the league isn't going to do squat.

Just watched the youtube clip. Once again, the gophers respond to a hit and being murdered on the scoreboard...with cheap tactics. Something needs to be done about the Gophers. I really hope the league does something.

Schacks response was very Bertuzzi like. Archie just posted on my blog that Nate Miller from beyond the pond was applauding the action over on KFAN 1130.

Shocking if they would; but will big Lucia man up and follow Comley's lead? The officials need to turn these games into PP fests, until the players get it. All kinds of stuff is being allowed, and both teams in any game need to play the game the way it's called, which, at this point, is lots of hooking, holding, and cheap shots.

Does anyone have the league officies email addresses? I think it's time to start a blitz to the league office.

I watched the game on tape delay. The checking from behind needs to stop..now !!! Hansen had one ( they called a 5 mn boarding) but did not get dq'd. Buress elbowed Lucia to the boards. Schack came in and threw many punches but was called for 2 minutes. Boe CFB Bariball. Schack goes crazy and all heck breaks out. If the refs would have called Schack the 1st time, #2 fight would not have happened. Boe hurt his knee/leg, mostly from the hog pile on the boards. Kind of a football scrum. Funny, Ref Anderson was involved. Typical WCHA officials, call everything in the 1st month, and lose their whistles the rest of the year. BTW, Schack should be gone for the rest of the year.

Does anyone have the league officies email addresses? I think it's time to start a blitz to the league office.

that'll just be a waste of time as the league doesn't care about the product on the ice or the safety of its' players. all they care about is creating parity.

that'll just be a waste of time as the league doesn't care about the product on the ice or the safety of its' players. all they care about is creating parity.

Look what happened when when a Denver player (intentionally) drove Robbie Bina head first into the boards. They gave the guy a one game suspension.

I thought DU gave that not the league.

The league gave them one.

Then DU gave them one other. I don't credit the league with that since they had already acted. It's really something when a guy like Gwozdecky (who I have no respect for) cares more about the safety of other teams' players than the league.

That was at the WCHA final five. The committee that decides those things was on hand including Greg Sheppard.

The conduct of the player is most directly linked to the refs. Again who was at the "helm" in 'kato...ANDERSON!

Pathetic these clowns still have work in this league year after year.

What happens when a child has no boundaries or discipline...unruly chaos. What happens when you get multiple kids like this...bedlam! These league game are starting to be no different.

If the WCHA refs would strike quickly and with authority on the first powder keg must of this stuff wouldn't occur IMO.

If you want to take fighting out of hockey, call the game the way it's supposed to be called.

In the case of last night the CFB was called so the attack on Boe was unwarranted.

But the question, having not watched the game, is how many missed calls and no calls lead to that powder keg? That's my point and it has been stated already: call the game right from the get-go and this goonish stuff won't happen.

But the question, having not watched the game, is how many missed calls and no calls lead to that powder keg? That's my point and it has been stated already: call the game right from the get-go and this goonish stuff won't happen.

I agree with that 100%.

I also didn't see anything of the game beside this incident. I read in the Red Star and Tribune that Lucia took an elbow and was out of the game. On the other hand that was called and the player kicked out. There was apparently an earlier CFB that was called boarding. However if we're out to injure a player after every blown call I don't think there would be anyone left.

No, I think the title of this post says it all. The Gophers are an hack team.

I think I'm the only guy in the world that has no problem with Shack. Sure it would have been nice if he would have not gone for the MMA finishing move on him, but something had to be done. Those two teams really seem to hate each other. There was a ton of stuff in that playoff series that has been brewing for quite a while. I'm sure there will be more tonight.

Call us hacks and goons, that's life. I'm sure my feelings will be hurt just like yours are when the Sioux are called names. :glare:

I think I'm the only guy in the world that has no problem with Shack. Sure it would have been nice if he would have not gone for the MMA finishing move on him, but something had to be done. Those two teams really seem to hate each other. There was a ton of stuff in that playoff series that has been brewing for quite a while. I'm sure there will be more tonight.

Call us hacks and goons, that's life. I'm sure my feelings will be hurt just like yours are when the Sioux are called names. :glare:

I don't think it was right, not by the code. If that SCH(Hack) wanted to fight Boe he should have given him chance to drop the mits and pay for his

act. This is a guttless act that is equal to Todd Bertuzzi's gutless act, and (SCH)Hack is lucky that Boe wasn't hurt. SCH(Hack) should be suspended for a minimum of 5 games. If this had been a UND player imagine the outrage by the fans from around the WCHA.

That being said sagard now you know how it feels for your team to be called a bunch of goons and hacks. :ohmy:

I DID watch the game (replay on TV) and agree with "call the game right".

Calling the game right includes two major aspects missing from many WCHA games - not all! but a lot:

1) Consistent standards

2) Reliably enforced.

Last night, Anderson and Shepard failed miserably at that test. The pattern is they typically increase the severity of penalty for the initial hit based on the response from the 'wronged' team. For example:

* Hansen gets 5 (and only 5) for the identical hit that Boe gets 5+Misconduct later in the game. No response from Mankato - no gooning it up - ok fine. But in the 3rd, Boe gets a more severe penalty, based on the Gopher response. Pick a standard and apply it consistently: either 5 or 5+Misconduct but not varying based on what happens after the event.

* Schack retaliates on Bruess (after the hit on Lucia late in the second) and gets no extra penalty for jumping Bruess' back and punching him from behind. It was so obvious that even Woog commented on it. He got a frickin freebie. Not surprising that he went Bertuzzi later in the game. The later punishment was reasonable, but missing the first creates the powder keg and primes it.

Hockey is dang tough to referee. But the consistent failure of the WCHA to add well-deserved discipline AFTER the fact contributes to the idea that "I can get away with it".

That said, to the original question, yes I think Minnesota is out of control. Coach John Hill's comments before, during and after the series in Grand Forks illustrate that clearly. And their actions last night indicate it even more. For every one's sake, before this really escalates, I hope the WCHA has the balls to slap a Bertuzzi-like suspension on Schack for his Bertuzzi-like actions last night.

What a bunch of crap. Normally I respect you as a "good gopher fan" but excusing this kind of stuff is just beyond the pale.