SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers are they out of control?

Riverman

Regardless of who he was mocking, he should not have been mocking anyone in the first place. First, he had no reason to mock as Anderson was calling the game as he saw it. That is the referee's job. Second, Lucia's behavior sets a bad example for his players. Third, he will run the risk of getting his hinder kicked for such behavior. Pitty the school, or the league, has not cracked down on his pettiness already.

Yes, Don lost his composure behind the bench, ala Hakstall last year in The John, and Gwozdecky a few weeks back at The Ralph. Lucia's behavior was just as immature as was theirs, and he, and his fans, should own up to it and apologize for it, rather than try to rationalize it away. Lucia and his boys have become the premiere hacks in the league, and they now try to justify it with some drug-induced hallucination that they must do so becuase of the behavior of others, alcohol in the stands and all??

Maybe Maturi oughta sit Don down for some rest, and give the reins back to the ever capable Kenny Jay, er, I mean, Johnny Hill.

BTW, I think that Anderson is a good referee. There is a reason that he gets most of the barn burning series. His is a thankless glamorless job that he does well far more often than not.

Brent.

Did you see the penalty call? It wasn't even close to checking from behind. And mocking a ref by applauding a bad call is NOT "just as immature" as flipping off a ref like you say.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who he was mocking, he should not have been mocking anyone in the first place. First, he had no reason to mock as Anderson was calling the game as he saw it. That is the referee's job. Second, Lucia's behavior sets a bad example for his players. Third, he will run the risk of getting his hinder kicked for such behavior. Pitty the school, or the league, has not cracked down on his pettiness already.

Yes, Don lost his composure behind the bench, ala Hakstall last year in The John, and Gwozdecky a few weeks back at The Ralph. Lucia's behavior was just as immature as was theirs, and he, and his fans, should own up to it and apologize for it, rather than try to rationalize it away. Lucia and his boys have become the premiere hacks in the league, and they now try to justify it with some drug-induced hallucination that they must do so becuase of the behavior of others, alcohol in the stands and all??

Maybe Maturi oughta sit Don down for some rest, and give the reins back to the ever capable Kenny Jay, er, I mean, Johnny Hill.

BTW, I think that Anderson is a good referee. There is a reason that he gets most of the barn burning series. His is a thankless glamorless job that he does well far more often than not.

Brent.

Brent,

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you are going to get to many people to agree with you that Anderson is a good referee.

Brent,

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you are going to get to many people to agree with you that Anderson is a good referee.

IMHO I think Anderson is one of the worst in the league right behind Don Adam.

I think characterizing the Gophers as being done for the year is pretty premature.

Oh, I agree, but you have to admit, their team doesn't instill any fear in you like they used to...now Boston College on the other hand...

Whoever said they are circling the drain said it best. There is still plenty of time to get better, but you can't be happy where your team is at if you are a gooopher fan.

I think characterizing the Gophers as being done for the year is pretty premature.

Kind of like the "over-rated" chant during the 2nd period of a hockey game? Totally agree. (Although I have to admit, when that happened up in Grand Forks during the Saturday game, and the Sioux came right down and scored DURING the chant, that I just had to shake my head and laugh.)

Now is Lucia trying to remove the heat from his team by complaining about Maverick and Sioux fans because alcohol is served in their arena? Is he still trying to blame other teams for the ugly play? Take a look at the tape, Don. The gophers have been involved, and instigated, as much or more than any other team in the WCHA this year.

The halo has got to be getting awfully tight.

Anderson does not tolerate many goons gooning it up for too long Goon.

I disagree he lets stuff go that should be called. Anderson is also way too emotional on the ice and has rabbit ears.

One of the worst official in the league next to Don Adam. Both should be fired.

Kind of like the "over-rated" chant during the 2nd period of a hockey game? Totally agree. (Although I have to admit, when that happened up in Grand Forks during the Saturday game, and the Sioux came right down and scored DURING the chant, that I just had to shake my head and laugh.)

Now is Lucia trying to remove the heat from his team by complaining about Maverick and Sioux fans because alcohol is served in their arena? Is he still trying to blame other teams for the ugly play? Take a look at the tape, Don. The gophers have been involved, and instigated, as much or more than any other team in the WCHA this year.

The halo has got to be getting awfully tight.

Isn't alcohol served in Mariucci too? Only in the suite level, or whatever it's called there.

I was watching at home and even Wooger had mentioned he was mocking the Mankato bench, possibly Jutting. But now that you mention it it does make more sense that he was mocking Anderson.

This is a prime example of the Rug and Woog fairy tales. The reason Goofer fans are so obtuse is because they've been listening to those losers call UM games. The casual goofer hockey fan doesn't stand a chance from this brainwashing.

Another example is Friday night in Mankato. After all the penalties, FSN showed a graphic listing the most penalized teams in the league and the Gophs and Mavs were in the top 3 with Wisconsin. Woog then proceeded to say, "North Dakota isn't in the top three??, we might have to check the stats that can't be right!" :D

It's not the goofer fans fault, they've been molded from the "great" hockey minds of the Rug and Woog, full of arrogance, entitlement issues, and delusional beliefs about what minnesota hockey stands for. i.e. The high road, where halos are worn along with "The M."

As far as the players and coach...., it's the alcohol served at arenas, abusive fans behind the bench, the student F-U chants, and bad officials that apparently only call them one-way. These things force tantrums and ugly behavior like cheap hits, attacking players from BEHIND, butt-ends, and running from a challenge.

This is a prime example of the Rug and Woog fairy tales. The reason Goofer fans are so obtuse is because they've been listening to those losers call UM games. The casual goofer hockey fan doesn't stand a chance from this brainwashing.

Another example is Friday night in Mankato. After all the penalties, FSN showed a graphic listing the most penalized teams in the league and the Gophs and Mavs were in the top 3 with Wisconsin. Woog then proceeded to say, "North Dakota isn't in the top three??, we might have to check the stats that can't be right!" :D

It's not the goofer fans fault, they've been molded from the "great" hockey minds of the Rug and Woog, full of arrogance, entitlement issues, and delusional beliefs about what minnesota hockey stands for. i.e. The high road, where halos are worn along with "The M."

As far as the players and coach...., it's the alcohol served at arenas, abusive fans behind the bench, the student F-U chants, and bad officials that apparently only call them one-way. These things force tantrums and ugly behavior like cheap hits, attacking players from BEHIND, butt-ends, and running from a challenge.

Amen, brother.

Oh, I agree, but you have to admit, their team doesn't instill any fear in you like they used to...now Boston College on the other hand...

Whoever said they are circling the drain said it best. There is still plenty of time to get better, but you can't be happy where your team is at if you are a gooopher fan.

The team is in great position to make the tournament and would be a 2 or 3 seed if the tournament started today, playing at our home rink. The F4 would be expected. Still looking at home ice in the WCHA, I don't see the problem. We'll be fine come March.

Did Donnie Hairpile hear what was said at Yost to MSU by Mich. fans? Was that caused by serving alcohol in the stands or cheap play on the ice? He bitches about his players not being protected by the officials when defending a cheap shot by one of his players on an opponent after a penalty is called on that opponent? And then he bitches about a cfb called on one of his players when the official erred on the side of caution (i.e protecting players)? Gee Donnie, pick just ONE story and stick with it.

That said, anyone writing off UMN is awash in wishful thinking.

The team is in great position to make the tournament and would be a 2 or 3 seed if the tournament started today, playing at our home rink. The F4 would be expected. Still looking at home ice in the WCHA, I don't see the problem. We'll be fine come March.

I wouldn't expect anything if I was a gopher fan right now especially a frozen four.

The team is by no means a lock to make the tourney. Wins over UNH and NE will help with some eastern comparisons, but if they don't start taking care of business this weekend they will drop like a rock. The teams goal differential in league is only +4 which is a pretty good indication they are not at the same level as DU/UND/UW even though we are only three points back of UW.

On the bright side there is still plenty of hockey to be played and if they put some good hockey together for a couple weekends they will have home ice for the regional.

The team is by no means a lock to make the tourney. Wins over UNH and NE will help with some eastern comparisons, but if they don't start taking care of business this weekend they will drop like a rock. The teams goal differential in league is only +4 which is a pretty good indication they are not at the same level as DU/UND/UW even though we are only three points back of UW.

On the bright side there is still plenty of hockey to be played and if they put some good hockey together for a couple weekends they will have home ice for the regional.

very solid post especially with uw coming in the ucci this weekend. dare i say 2 shootouts :D

This is a great post. It really does summarize what I have experienced. I agree, it is not the gopher fans' fault, they really have been brainwashed to a certain extent. I show my gopher buddy youtube footage, stats, etc, and it still doesn't work. The same issues come up: 26 year old canadian thugs, penalties, dirty hits, "you live in a hillbilly state with nothing and it is flat".

Wasn't it last year that BC had a much worse season than the Sioux are having now and ended up in the NC game?

I thought they were at .500 for most of the first half of the season.

Say what you will about BC, but they come on at the right time and have a tenacity for timeliness.

I wonder... is that because of the local environment?

I mean, BC is in Boston. So is BU, Harvard, Northeastern, Amherst is like Bemidji to Grand Forks (about 95 miles west of Boston), UMass Lowell is only 37 miles from Boston...

Not that they're a huge draw, but... I don't know if there are many DII/DIII hockey draws other than UMass-Boston in Boston as well.

You goons can't skate...get a regular shift!! Hey the Golden Boyz are #1!! Congrats...

Team PIM/G

Minnesota 24.6

Wisconsin 22.2

Minnesota State 21.1

North Dakota 20.7

Denver 19.8

Minnesota Duluth 19.8

Alaska Anchorage 19.4

Colorado College 16.6

St. Cloud State 15.8

Michigan Tech 14.8

You goons can't skate...get a regular shift!! Hey the Golden Boyz are #1!! Congrats...

Team PIM/G

Minnesota 24.6

Wisconsin 22.2

Minnesota State 21.1

North Dakota 20.7

Denver 19.8

Minnesota Duluth 19.8

Alaska Anchorage 19.4

Colorado College 16.6

St. Cloud State 15.8

Michigan Tech 14.8

No wonder why Donna's got his panties in a wad. His team's getting called for the penalties they commit.

Speaking for myself only.....I love a Gopher loss!!! And I don't feel bad or think it makes Sioux fans look bad. It's part of being a fan.

Unfortunately I think we have as many Gopher posts here as they have Sioux posts at Bisonville. I would like to think that we as Sioux fans are better than that. Some of us are obviously better than that, but a handful of obsessed haters make the entire fanbase look bad. I swear there are a few people here who enjoy a Gophers loss more than they enjoy a Sioux victory. :D