SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA lifts moratorium...

nodak hockey fanatic

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw INCH for ever what its worth that they said one possible idea that has been floated around for years is the Tech move to the CCHA and BSU come t the WCHA. Why would the CCHA go for that they would then have 13 teams? We would also lose the Cup as I thought Tech was the custodian of it.

What we know:

BSU Hockey is in trouble if they don't get into the WCHA.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are not in favor of adding another MnSCU school.

An 11 team conference is almost unworkable.

A 12 team conference is workable, but it makes "prime matchups" even less common than today.

And then there's the Big Ten Network ...

This is going to get messier before clearer.

I saw INCH for ever what its worth that they said one possible idea that has been floated around for years is the Tech move to the CCHA and BSU come t the WCHA. Why would the CCHA go for that they would then have 13 teams? We would also lose the Cup as I thought Tech was the custodian of it.

Tech to the CCHA for UN-Omaha (and a bag full of old pucks to be named later).

Add Bemidji State.

Add Air Force.

Viola! 12 team conference:

McLeod Division - UAA, DU, CC, USAFA, UNO, MSUM

Shepherd Division - UM, UW, BSU, SCSU, UMD, UND

Play home and home in your division - 20 games

Play other division half home, half road - 12 games

Problems?

Not a lot of room for non-conference games.

DU only sees UM in Denver every other year.

EDIT:

Play other division as follows (and this is far from perfect) ...

If you're UND you play at DU Friday, at CC Saturday (or at MSUM Fri, UNO Sat; or at UAA Fri and USAFA Sat).

Then you they come to GF say CC Fri and DU Sat.

For example --

Friday: DU at UND, CC at BSU

Saturday: CC at UND, DU at BSU

later in season ...

Friday: UND at CC, BSU at DU

Saturday: BSU at CC, UND at DU

You'd see everyone at least once home and road. But that USAFA/UAA trip, that'd be a ... (makes you wonder if Fairbanks would be better that USAFA).

EDIT OF MY EDIT:

Make the pairs when you're playing cross division ...

UND/BSU (2 hours by bus)

SCSU/UMD (3 hours by bus)

UM/UW (4 hours by bus)

CC/USAFA (Colorado Springs)

UNO/MSUM (5 hours by bus)

UAA/DU (you have to fly, but this way you eliminate additional bus travel as you fly to Anchorage or Denver)

I'd like to see the league drop to 20 games or 22 games if there ends up being twelve teams. One series vs. each team in the league.

Us heavyweights can schedule each other to fill in our remaining games to ensure the proper amount of message board fodder.

I'd like to see the league drop to 20 games or 22 games if there ends up being twelve teams. One series vs. each team in the league.

Us heavyweights can schedule each other to fill in our remaining games to ensure the proper amount of message board fodder.

i like that making it equal for every team league wise. i hate that even now you play some teams twice or not. wcha play should be even with the games and who plays who then you can add a couple more non conference weekends like you said. good idea

The commish was just on with Frank and Doug. End of application process is March 31. He said that teams are interested and Doug made a joke about Montreal and Bruce said that isn't far off. So my guess is U of British Columbia. They do have a 12 team model that works out to even amount of home games every 5 years (current works every 4). He said they haven't found model for 11 teams.

He also mentioned they met with Myles Brand last spring and he wants to raise the profile of college hockey.

The commish was just on with Frank and Doug. End of application process is March 31. He said that teams are interested and Doug made a joke about Montreal and Bruce said that isn't far off. So my guess is U of British Columbia. They do have a 12 team model that works out to even amount of home games every 5 years (current works every 4). He said they haven't found model for 11 teams.

He also mentioned they met with Myles Brand last spring and he wants to raise the profile of college hockey.

Bemidji, needing 8 of 10 WCHA votes, really only has sure votes from the Minnesota schools. Adding a 40,000 student research university like UBC would be like adding a PAC-10 school academically and geographically (assuring Wisco's, Denver's, CC's and Alaska's vote). Practically all the schools opposed to Bemidji would be thrilled with UBC (MTU possibly excepted), so both get in.

A UBC/BSU combo passes near unanimously.

A BSU/NMU combo really offers nothing to strengthen the conference.

UNO likes it Notre Dame/Ohio State/Michigan/Mich St affiliation too much to dump them for Minn/Wisco/ND/Denver.

AFA has no interest.

NCAA Magazine - Winter 2009 - Top Story - The Canadians are Coming

Simon Fraser has made it know that intends to apply for NCAA membership. UBC will declare it's intention by March. Both would join at the DII level, but UBC's hockey and volleyball programs can play at the DI level.

Division II made history at the 2008 NCAA Convention when it became the only division to pass legislation allowing Canadian schools to apply for NCAA membership.

It may make history again this June if British Columbia-based Simon Fraser University follows through on its intent to be the first applicant.

Division II officials expect that to happen by the June 1 application deadline, as does Simon Fraser Athletics Director David Murphy, who says the school of 18,000 students founded in 1965 would in fact be

UNO, totally! That would be geographically perfect (for me).

I'd prefer UNO, personally, as that means I'd get to watch the Sioux two games a season...but I also think NMU makes sense as it would be a travel partner with MTU, though Schlossman talks about it being a partner for BSU...I don't understand that though. Bemidji and wherever the heck NMU is aren't close.

Adding to avoid a double post:

I don't understand how UBC adds more to the WCHA than NMU. I don't see UND favoring it because it will greatly affect UND's recruiting out West. Regardless, though, I'm not sure I understand how it is geographically advantageous or advantageous at all for UBC.

Can someone explain it in layman's terms?

Bemidji, needing 8 of 10 WCHA votes, really only has sure votes from the Minnesota schools. Adding a 40,000 student research university like UBC would be like adding a PAC-10 school academically and geographically (assuring Wisco's, Denver's, CC's and Alaska's vote). Practically all the schools opposed to Bemidji would be thrilled with UBC (MTU possibly excepted), so both get in.

From a geographical perspective I can understand that point but not sure I understand why Bucky would be interested in UBC.

From a geographical perspective I can understand that point but not sure I understand why Bucky would be interested in UBC.

A: Academic snobbishness.

The Big Ten academic types only tolerate the WCHA's membership because of history (and maybe not much longer). U of Wisconsin academic leaders (and Minnesota, if they didn't have to deal with in-state politics surrounding Bemidji) would prefer to associate with research extensive institutions: like UBC. which is listed as #28 among the Top 100 Universities in the America's

For example, for membership in the Big Ten, the university must first be a member of the invitation-only

American Association of Universities AAU). UBC, by most definitions, meets those requirements.

The Big Ten and Pac Ten have such a close relationship largely because, among major athletic conferences, those two conferences have the highest % membership in the AAU (11 of 11 for the Big Ten, 7 of 10 for the Pac-10, with only the Big 12 coming close at 7 of 12). If UBC remained on the NCAA track (going DI in all sports), it is one of the few West Coast schools that the Pac-10 would give serious consideration for membership (UC-Davis, if its medical research and athletics increase, and UC-San Diego, if it went DI, being other examples).

I don't understand how UBC adds more to the WCHA than NMU. I don't see UND favoring it because it will greatly affect UND's recruiting out West. Regardless, though, I'm not sure I understand how it is geographically advantageous or advantageous at all for UBC.

Can someone explain it in layman's terms?

First off, it's about $'s. Vancouver offers like 2 million potential TV viewers for a Final Five, an 8000 seat Olympic arena (fresh from the 2010 Winter Olympics), while Marquette, MI has like 1/100th the population and is just a shell of its former self economically. It's about new markets: the WCHA already has a team in the U.P. (with its 200,000 people), but nothing in Canada (with it's 30 million). With NMU (and BSU), the $'s taken in by the WCHA stay the same (or decrease, because most schools won't be playing Minnesota and Wisco as much at home, so they have less opportunity to charge premium prices and would have fewer sell outs - Colorado Springs residents aren't going to flock to the World Arena to see BSU or NMU). With UBC, revenues have a chance to increase (not just TV rights, or seats sold, but Canadians paying for FSSN game feeds, or Sioux merchandise selling in Canada as examples).

For UBC, the WCHA is really it's single best option for hockey.

UBC could hurt UND recruiting in BC and likely Alberta. What UND would gain is more exposure throughout Canada (if UBC obtained a Canadian cable contract, for instance), and UBC's NCAA presence further erodes the number of Canadian teenagers choosing Major Juniors over the NCAA route. In addition, if a BTHC ever happens and UND isn't included, UBC's presence would help keep the WCHA a very powerful conference.

I'm still not "for" a Canadian team anywhere in the NCAA, but if it helps the NCAA, I guess I shouldn't be against it.

I think my biggest fear is that BC would take UND's spot in recruiting better Canadian players, especially those in Western Canada. I think if they joined, it wouldn't take long for them to put together a dominating team. I'd just hate to see them be the team to beat year in and year out when there are so many good American programs that have been here longer and paid their dues.

I'm still not "for" a Canadian team anywhere in the NCAA, but if it helps the NCAA, I guess I shouldn't be against it.

I think my biggest fear is that BC would take UND's spot in recruiting better Canadian players, especially those in Western Canada. I think if they joined, it wouldn't take long for them to put together a dominating team. I'd just hate to see them be the team to beat year in and year out when there are so many good American programs that have been here longer and paid their dues.

Brand himself want's to increase the visibility of NCAA hockey. Why? $$$'s How can he accomplish that? Canada. Imagine a Frozen Four TV rating in Canada with UBC in it? $$$'s

What's best for the NCAA and Brand isn't necessarily best for UND. ;)

I just thought about something...

UND could probably make it work if UBC joined the WCHA. But I'll tell you two colleges that would suffer horribly:

UAA and UAF.

UAA especially struggles getting players to come to Alaska. With UBC just down the coast... yikes.

Hey, neither Alaska team can even keep the decent Alaska kids in the state!

If I were Shyiak or the UAA AD, I'd be screaming bloody murder in support of NMU.

I just thought about something...

UND could probably make it work if UBC joined the WCHA. But I'll tell you two colleges that would suffer horribly:

UAA and UAF.

UAA especially struggles getting players to come to Alaska. With UBC just down the coast... yikes.

Hey, neither Alaska team can even keep the decent Alaska kids in the state!

If I were Shyiak or the UAA AD, I'd be screaming bloody murder in support of NMU.

IMHO, UAA would be a sure vote for UBC, as UAA needs more regional rivalries to energize fans and decrease travel. Energized fans help recruiting and decreased travel lowers budgets.

UBC isn't UWashington, which would be Alaska's ideal big-brother rival (like Minny and Bucky are to former NCC schools), but more West Coast presence helps UAF and UAA (if only to keep their own in-state players).

You're joking right? UBC in the WCHA? If the Beavers can't get in because of a team in British Columbia, they may as well fold up shop.

Overall I'm against more expansion in the WCHA; this crap of only playing Minny-donuts 1 series this year is a joke.

A: Academic snobbishness.

The Big Ten academic types only tolerate the WCHA's membership because of history (and maybe not much longer). U of Wisconsin academic leaders (and Minnesota, if they didn't have to deal with in-state politics surrounding Bemidji) would prefer to associate with research extensive institutions: like UBC. which is listed as #28 among the Top 100 Universities in the America's

For example, for membership in the Big Ten, the university must first be a member of the invitation-only

American Association of Universities AAU). UBC, by most definitions, meets those requirements.

The Big Ten and Pac Ten have such a close relationship largely because, among major athletic conferences, those two conferences have the highest % membership in the AAU (11 of 11 for the Big Ten, 7 of 10 for the Pac-10, with only the Big 12 coming close at 7 of 12). If UBC remained on the NCAA track (going DI in all sports), it is one of the few West Coast schools that the Pac-10 would give serious consideration for membership (UC-Davis, if its medical research and athletics increase, and UC-San Diego, if it went DI, being other examples).

A more interesting solution is a partial dissolution of existing leagues by having the Big Ten schools form their own separate conference with possible invitations to bring this to an 8-team conference. The other conference can then rebuild using the existing members of the CHA. The main conferences affected would be the CCHA and WCHA but it would create a new viable conference but the CCHA/WCHA conferences would suffer in my opinion as they would lose some premier membership. But it makes the CHA teams happy as they find a home and may, over time, make college hockey stronger.