SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA lifts moratorium...

nodak hockey fanatic

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No top player in MN will go to Bemidji if they have an offer from UMN, that's hilarious that you'd even mention that. UND/DU/CC or one of the other powerhouses? Sure. But Bemidji? HAHAHAHA.

dont think he meant the parise or johnsons. i think he meant it would be another option to play right away at a school in the wcha as some kids will choose to do. not elite players but the guys underneath that area. bemidji could probably give the gophers a hell of a tough series if you guys would actually sacked up play them ;)

No top player in MN will go to Bemidji if they have an offer from UMN, that's hilarious that you'd even mention that. UND/DU/CC or one of the other powerhouses? Sure. But Bemidji? HAHAHAHA.

Not to jump you here gopherz.....Really? You don't think Bemidji can identify and get winning level talent there? Not every Minnesota kid has a an offer from Minnesota or b, accepts an offer. You can't see the future. As AZ alluded to, would you trade Fischer for Oshie? White for half of Mankato's team? Flynn's brother is a better college player than Ryan. Kids develop differently. Just because you get an offer from Minnesota doesn't mean you take it or turn out to be the best college player from the state. You wouldn't have wanted these guys at Minnesota?

Parrish

Backes

Carle

Sertich

Oshie

Parise

Lee

Niskanen

May

McBain

Petersen

Sneep

to name a few. Your thoughts that Minnesota gets the cream of the crop every year are not true. The recruiting rankings say they are usually successful. For every Jordan Schroeder, there is a Nick Checco. They don't give hardware for recruiting rankings.

dont think he meant the parise or johnsons. i think he meant it would be another option to play right away at a school in the wcha as some kids will choose to do. not elite players but the guys underneath that area. bemidji could probably give the gophers a hell of a tough series if you guys would actually sacked up play them ;)

Yes. I also think its ignorant to think EVERY kid wants to play at the UofM or fits the roster at that time

Yes. I also think its ignorant to think EVERY kid wants to play at the UofM or fits the roster at that time

those day are long gone. back in the day maybe but not even close these days as you eluded to. now there will be a few that do but a few that go to und or cc ect..

I don't think that BSU will steal but a handful of upper-level teams' lower end recruits, but will give UMD, SCSU, MSU a good run run for their targets. They have a very good coach and eventually a new barn. They may also get some Canadians or Minnesotan's going to the CCHA and other eastern conferences (with the exception of the Michigans', BC's, etc).

BSU is usually everyone's "first team" with a fairly close division of Sioux and Gopher fans (a few SCSU and UMD fans thrown in) for their WCHA team.

I don't think that BSU will steal but a handful of upper-level teams' lower end recruits, but will give UMD, SCSU, MSU a good run run for their targets. They have a very good coach and eventually a new barn. They may also get some Canadians or Minnesotan's going to the CCHA and other eastern conferences (with the exception of the Michigans', BC's, etc).

BSU is usually everyone's "first team" with a fairly close division of Sioux and Gopher fans (a few SCSU and UMD fans thrown in) for their WCHA team.

my thoughts exactly being from there and also my thoughts on recruiting

USA Today:

Two years after the NCAA opened its doors to Canadian schools, at least one — Simon Fraser in Burnaby, British Columbia — is poised to walk in.

The University of British Columbia likewise is weighing a move to join its rival as the NCAA's first international members. Both would join Division II. ...

UBC President and vice chancellor Stephen Toope is expected to make a decision in early March on whether to move forward, Philip says. Among other things, the school is unsure of what to do with its (CIS) Division I-level hockey program; the NCAA has imposed a moratorium on new members in its highest classification until August 2011 and doesn't stage a Division II hockey championship.

Early March: UBC declares for the NCAA.

By late March, the WCHA decides whether or not to add two members for 2011-12 season (the earliest year that would limit impact on existing contracts), conveniently after the DI moratorium ends and when UBC would be a full DII member (UBC would need to be a full DII member before moving up its hockey team).

If the WCHA does not vote in membership for UBC, UBC can withdraw their NCAA application before June 1st.

Simon Fraser does not have hockey, so the lack of DII hockey does not enter into their decision.

How many college programs are in Canada that could play D1 hockey?

What if the U of Manitoba applied to the WCHA?

Canadian politics probably wouldn't allow more than a handful of Canadian schools join the NCAA, and the NCAA would probably prefer it that way.

Manitoba has never, at least publicly, expressed an interest in NCAA membership. Besides UBC, two others that had at least contacted the NCAA about more information were U of Alberta in Edmonton and Lakehead U in Thunder Bay. Alberta since has backed away from interest. Lakehead might still have interest, but it might have difficulty with finding a DII conference.

I think it is a bad idea to let the Canadian universities in the NCAA division one fold.

I have talked a few Canaidan friends on mine that have said and they don't think Division one hockey would

be a big hit this based on Major Juniors being so big in Canada.

That is something I am absolutly not in favor of and I'd have to think that this would not happen.

Huntsville is as good as any of the bottom teams in the CCHA. I would say never especially if the NCAA starts threatening leagues/teams with pulling at large bids. Because that is what is going to start having if the too many more teams fold in the Division one hockey. I would imagine you're going to start seeing more things falling into place in the spring. Just a hunch.

Sorry, but I see UAH as sub-bottom feeder teams in the CCHA.

I see it SERIOUSLY diluting the talent level in the WCHA.

I'd rather have NMU. It's geographically more friendly AND it brings with it a ready-made rivalry in the annual MTU-NMU tilt.

Not to mention NMU has a history with the WCHA. I say let's do it. Bring in BSU and NMU and pray no Big 10 conference happens because of it.

I don't get all the hating on UAH. Yes, they've been down the last two years, but gave as legit a performance in NCAAs as Bemidji has done. They also had a couple of near 20 win seasons in the recent past, while facing heavily slanted road schedules and getting none of the benefit of scheduling help from local teams like Bemidji has.

I think if UAH got into the WCHA and finally had a fairly stable schedule they would be able to recruit better and could easily reach the second tier of the conference. They also provide for wider media exposure of the league and provide an opportunity for sun belt/snow bird alums a short road trip to see their team.

Not to mention NMU has a history with the WCHA. I say let's do it. Bring in BSU and NMU and pray no Big 10 conference happens because of it.

if its gona happen which it seems like it may i agree with bsu and no mich. no mich like you said has a history and bsu will hold their own. 2 solid teams to add in my mind.

I don't get all the hating on UAH. Yes, they've been down the last two years, but gave as legit a performance in NCAAs as Bemidji has done. They also had a couple of near 20 win seasons in the recent past, while facing heavily slanted road schedules and getting none of the benefit of scheduling help from local teams like Bemidji has.

I think if UAH got into the WCHA and finally had a fairly stable schedule they would be able to recruit better and could easily reach the second tier of the conference. They also provide for wider media exposure of the league and provide an opportunity for sun belt/snow bird alums a short road trip to see their team.

I know this isn't a requirement, but they're not very "Western"

I know this isn't a requirement, but they're not very "Western"

Huntsville is almost due south of Marquette, with Huntsville actually in the central time zone. And as for the "history" of NMU in the WCHA - they were in the league for 13 years. Yes they won an NCAA title in 1991, but they also had a lot of second division finishes and their last several season were as cellar dwellars with Tech and UAA. It would also be the third time they have departed a league in 25 years. Not exactly a bastion of stability.

northern mich over huntsville without a doubt. keep it in the sane region as our teams already i would say and no mich has a nice wcha history

According to the Virg Foss article, McCloud isn't going after any teams, so unless NMU applies it'll be no dice.

I have this feeling that Alabama-Huntsville won't get a conference and will fold soon after. College hockey is hitting a sad state.

I have this feeling that Alabama-Huntsville won't get a conference and will fold soon after. College hockey is hitting a sad state.

This is my fear as well. The sport doesn't need another school folding its program.

I heard some rumbling over the weekend that NMU hockey people are starting a whispering campaign to try to get back into the WCHA. If both BSU and NMU come this way, CCHA would have room for Huntsville.