SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA lifts moratorium...

nodak hockey fanatic

I just thought about something...

UND could probably make it work if UBC joined the WCHA. But I'll tell you two colleges that would suffer horribly:

UAA and UAF.

UAA especially struggles getting players to come to Alaska. With UBC just down the coast... yikes.

Hey, neither Alaska team can even keep the decent Alaska kids in the state!

If I were Shyiak or the UAA AD, I'd be screaming bloody murder in support of NMU.

UBC has been having difficulty getting students and faculty behind an NCAA move, so until they actually apply to the NCAA, they certainly haven't applied for the WCHA. But UBC has been talking to at least one WCHA member.

UBC - Alaska schools getting to know one another

UBC is in the final stages of deciding whether to apply for NCAA membership at the Division II level, something Canadian schools are eligible to pursue thanks to a 10-year pilot project introduced by the NCAA last year. As part of the process, staff have been in regular contact with their U.S. neighbours, who as early as the fall of 2009 could be their competition.

“I don't know if we're dating yet, but we're trying to get to know each other,” said Steve Cobb, director of athletics for the University of Alaska Anchorage.

The Alaska schools make good bedfellows for UBC for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that both UAA and the University of Alaska Fairbanks are Division II schools that compete in hockey at the Division I level. They are also part of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference, which UBC would likely join as part of a bid for NCAA membership.

With the DI moratorium on single-sport move-ups, even if UBC decides to go the NCAA route, UBC wouldn't be playing DI hockey until 2011-12. Interesting that McLeod mentioned 2011-12 as the likely season to add teams. Also, all the CHA teams may be applying for the WCHA (UAH, Niagara, RMU), if for no other reasons, to show other conferences they are serious about the future of their hockey programs. On Moose's radio show, it was actually mentioned that the WCHA might consider becoming a super-conference (14 or more teams).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The commish was just on with Frank and Doug. End of application process is March 31. He said that teams are interested and Doug made a joke about Montreal and Bruce said that isn't far off. So my guess is U of British Columbia. They do have a 12 team model that works out to even amount of home games every 5 years (current works every 4). He said they haven't found model for 11 teams.

He also mentioned they met with Myles Brand last spring and he wants to raise the profile of college hockey.

Here is the model for 12 teams...I'm pulling a Sicatoka and posting a link to myself.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=267000

A more interesting solution is a partial dissolution of existing leagues by having the Big Ten schools form their own separate conference with possible invitations to bring this to an 8-team conference. The other conference can then rebuild using the existing members of the CHA. The main conferences affected would be the CCHA and WCHA but it would create a new viable conference but the CCHA/WCHA conferences would suffer in my opinion as they would lose some premier membership. But it makes the CHA teams happy as they find a home and may, over time, make college hockey stronger.

There are 5 teams in the Big Ten that have hockey so I am not sure where you get the other 2-5 teams for the Big Ten?

There are 5 teams in the Big Ten that have hockey so I am not sure where you get the other 2-5 teams for the Big Ten?

I think a Big Ten conference can be successful with 6...but no less. The teams are all big money schools and traveling isn't much of a dent in their annual expenses. It's not like a 6 team CHA where they are all small schools with limited budgets and spread across the country. However, there still are only 5 teams with hockey, so I don't see it as a possibility until there is a 6th. To say they need as many as 5 other teams to join isn't necessary. They really only need 1, in my opinion.

I think a Big Ten conference can be successful with 6...but no less. The teams are all big money schools and traveling isn't much of a dent in their annual expenses. It's not like a 6 team CHA where they are all small schools with limited budgets and spread across the country. However, there still are only 5 teams with hockey, so I don't see it as a possibility until there is a 6th. To say they need as many as 5 other teams to join isn't necessary. They really only need 1, in my opinion.

Notre Dame.

I wouldn't mind a B10 college hockey conference.

But it does...Big 10 does not equal UND, ST Clown, UMD, etc....

I understand that...which is why I'm against it big time. I was just pointing out that I would't mind if it didn't. Also, it would suck not to get to play Wisconsin and Minnesota each year, but I don't think they'd be disappointed with scheduling us in alternating home series' each year.

What we know:

BSU Hockey is in trouble if they don't get into the WCHA.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are not in favor of adding another MnSCU school.

An 11 team conference is almost unworkable.

A 12 team conference is workable, but it makes "prime matchups" even less common than today.

And then there's the Big Ten Network ...

This is going to get messier before clearer.

Minnesota is in favor of BSU coming in. They somewhat led the charge.

Instead of dividing the league along geographic lines, how about two clusters

"Original Six"

CC, Denver

UM, UW

UND, Tech

"Newcomer Six"

UMD, SCSU

UAA, MSU-M

Bemidji, [#12 insert here]

26 league games - 4x with a designated rival, 3x in your cluster, 2x with the other cluster.

I don't care for it a lot, but it would preserve rivalries better than other solutions. And it would allow for more non-conference games.

... Bringing the total allowable games back to 38 without extending the season would help a lot.

Notre Dame.

I wouldn't mind a B10 college hockey conference.

Here is saying that it will not happen. Not in the lifetimes of most folks on this board.

Moreover, with only six teams, I wonder if the new fledgling conference would qualify for the CHA's auto-bid,

or if its teams would have to earn their places in the tournament.

It would be intellectually dishonest to include Notre Dame in a Big Ten College Hockey Conference, especially

seeing how Notre Dame has thumbed its nose at the Big Ten for years.

How about the Prima Donna Five Hockey Conference?

How about the Prima Donna Five Hockey Conference?

That probably holds true for all of those schools except Wisconsin. The Badgers have always treated our program with respect, even during the 1980's when both programs hated each other. Minnesota.....Michigan........and Michigan State fit that profile. Notre Dame hasn't had enough success to start acting like that, but if they keep winning they will no doubt act like they do in football circles. ;)

You think? :);) I am kidding. I am just for throwing out a certain fan from UAA. :lol:

I do wonder why UAF is in the CCHA though?

I don't remember specifics of the agreement, but I do recall the WCHA and CCHA each picking one Alaska school for admission to their respective conference.

My concern is what their motive is. I hope it's not to create an environment were it's easier for them to split for a Big 10 conference.

It most definitely seems like it. I'd love the B10 conference as long as we kept UND on the schedule each year.

It most definitely seems like it. I'd love the B10 conference as long as we kept UND on the schedule each year.

I can almost guarantee that if they move to a Big Ten conference and we still have the Sioux nickname, they will pull the "Now that we are in different conferences and have no obligation to play them, (excpet playoffs) we will refuse to play UND based on the controversey of the nickname" bullcrap.

My concern is what their motive is. I hope it's not to create an environment were it's easier for them to split for a Big 10 conference.

I don't see what motivation Minnesota has for a Big Ten Conference in hockey. Share the TV revenue from FSN with the Big Ten and it's joke of a network? Minnesota and Wisconsin play MSU and Michigan once a year. Make that weekend into a tourney similar to the Final Five with UMN, UM, MSU, UW and OSU if you want to explore the Big Ten hockey idea. The Big Ten Challenge and rotate it between the X, Kohl and the Joe. There is no rivalry for either school with OSU in any sport except maybe baseball at UMN. I just don't see how it would strengthen the Big Ten Conference as a whole to do this. Penn State would make more sense in an east conference. To many reasons for the WCHA break up would be magnified in the Big Ten Conference. A five or six team league? no way. The CCHA and Final Five tourneys are huge money makers for the NCAA and participating schools. Your going to turn two highly successful leagues and tournaments into 1 strong yet limited league and one very top heavy league and another just waiting to fail?

This is the stuff that makes me laugh when people complain about the Final Five being in St. Paul every year. It wouldn't be as successful anywhere else. Is it an advantage to Minnesota, sure. Its an advantage to every program in the WCHA as well. Same applies for the CCHA. CCHA tourney is always complained about by schools outside of Michigan. Take the Red Wings, Michigan, Michigan St., FSN Detroit and the Detroit Chamber out and what do you have? Nothing. The benefits afforded because of someone are also afforded to them. You can't pick and choose.

In reality. I see BSU as a challenge to Minnesota in recruiting and fan base. Minnesota recruits primarily in Minnesota, adding another top program makes UM's success more difficult.

I don't see what motivation Minnesota has for a Big Ten Conference in hockey. Share the TV revenue from FSN with the Big Ten and it's joke of a network? Minnesota and Wisconsin play MSU and Michigan once a year. Make that weekend into a tourney similar to the Final Five with UMN, UM, MSU, UW and OSU if you want to explore the Big Ten hockey idea. The Big Ten Challenge and rotate it between the X, Kohl and the Joe. There is no rivalry for either school with OSU in any sport except maybe baseball at UMN. I just don't see how it would strengthen the Big Ten Conference as a whole to do this. Penn State would make more sense in an east conference. To many reasons for the WCHA break up would be magnified in the Big Ten Conference. A five or six team league? no way. The CCHA and Final Five tourneys are huge money makers for the NCAA and participating schools. Your going to turn two highly successful leagues and tournaments into 1 strong yet limited league and one very top heavy league and another just waiting to fail?

This is the stuff that makes me laugh when people complain about the Final Five being in St. Paul every year. It wouldn't be as successful anywhere else. Is it an advantage to Minnesota, sure. Its an advantage to every program in the WCHA as well. Same applies for the CCHA. CCHA tourney is always complained about by schools outside of Michigan. Take the Red Wings, Michigan, Michigan St., FSN Detroit and the Detroit Chamber out and what do you have? Nothing. The benefits afforded because of someone are also afforded to them. You can't pick and choose.

In reality. I see BSU as a challenge to Minnesota in recruiting and fan base. Minnesota recruits primarily in Minnesota, adding another top program makes UM's success more difficult.

bemidji wont challenge any of the top wcha teams in recruiting, at least for a long time if that. they recruit canada and all over like other teams so they will continue that terend but may be able to land higher end players from those areas being in the wcha. the fan base in bemidji is most beavers/gophersand then the rest beavers/sioux but there loyalty is with bsu. now when you arent playing that team they may still cheer for their 2nd team. don should keep branching out then as he has a little as a good handful of those top minby kids havent lived up to their big hype yet ala - white ect... ;) the 2 ncaa titles came with non minnesotans playing huge roles on those teams