SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA lifts moratorium...

nodak hockey fanatic

just saw this in the forum. i know the pluses and minuses have been discussed in great detail, but the big picture is we don't want to lose any div. 1 teams. i happen to like the BSU program, and now with the new rink, should make for a fun road trip each year!!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/227984/group/home/

edit... just saw this was mentioned in the WCHA thread, but i think deserves its own thread

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that the WCHA will let BSU in they will be a good fit, they already play us and the Minnesota Schools. Would there be another school that would be worth adding since 11 teams might get to be a bit challenging on the scheduling side.

Also Hats off the the Crew of the Mainline Airways flight in New York this afternoon.

I hope that the WCHA will let BSU in they will be a good fit, they already play us and the Minnesota Schools. Would there be another school that would be worth adding since 11 teams might get to be a bit challenging on the scheduling side.

Also Hats off the the Crew of the Mainline Airways flight in New York this afternoon.

i dont know if 11 teams is a issue for scheduling since nobody plays eachother twice every season anyhow. i think it would be just fine with 11 because every team will play the same amount of wcha games either way

i dont know if 11 teams is a issue for scheduling since nobody plays eachother twice every season anyhow. i think it would be just fine with 11 because every team will play the same amount of wcha games either way

i agree, although 12 might be cleaner? just a thought, but then all 12 will have a three game playoff series. then in the wcha final 6, top two get a bye, and two games each day, third day being championship and third place game. it's nice because the top two seeds remaining are rewarded with having one less game in that three day strech. trying to find the positives in this, since it creates an even more unbalanced schedule with only playing a few teams four times in a season.

Here's an article from the Bemidji Pioneer on why they feel BSU is a good fit for the WCHA.

The editorial doesn't address the main reasons I'm against adding BSU to the WCHA. Sure, they will compete, they fit geographically, they have tradition, and their new facility will be more than adequate. I don't think anyone has argued to the contrary on those issues. The overriding issue was expansion itself, not BSU in particular. Ten is already too many, more will just make the problem worse.

Nevertheless, I understand BSU's excitement and wish them the best. They seem like a shoe-in at this point. I don't think a school would vote to lift the moratorium, then vote to deny BSU. It wouldn't make sense politically. If a school truly was going to vote against BSU, they would have voted against lifting the moratorium to not make it personal.

Ten is already too many, more will just make the problem worse.

How about we kick UAA to the curb? Then we still have 10. We can use the economy as an excuse. :lol: Travel too expensive, plus in all honesty who would miss them. :D

I keep hearing that there is some exemption tied into uaa? Hak made mention of it last week on the coach's show. what is it? plus doesn't uaa pay for our travel up there, I thought at one time they did?

I think when you play at UAA, those games do not count against the total amount of games you can schedule in the regular season?

I think when you play at UAA, those games do not count against the total amount of games you can schedule in the regular season?

If your team goes to Alaska I read you can add two games to your schedule.

I thought I heard Hak talking about that as well...

If your team goes to Alaska I read you can add two games to your schedule.

I thought I heard Hak talking about that as well...

That part is true. UAA no longer pays for schools travel. That was a ten year agreement when they joined the league.

We aren't solving much then. BSU is in, but now UAA is left looking for a home. I know you were likely kidding, but for those that take you seriously, it's not a good option.

You think? :D:huh: I am kidding. I am just for throwing out a certain fan from UAA. :D

I do wonder why UAF is in the CCHA though?

You think? :D:huh: I am kidding. I am just for throwing out a certain fan from UAA. :D

I do wonder why UAF is in the CCHA though?

You have to keep 'em separated because a lot of smaller teams who would have to travel to Alaska twice might not be able to afford it. To have to travel there twice is spendy. Being that it's college, it's hard to take a full week off if you did a back-to-back weekend thing. The only way it would work where they are in the same conference is if you can guarantee only one visit to Alaska per year, which might be doable if they were added as a 12th team. However, do we want another Alaska team in our conference?

You have to keep 'em separated because a lot of smaller teams who would have to travel to Alaska twice might not be able to afford it. To have to travel there twice is spendy. Being that it's college, it's hard to take a full week off if you did a back-to-back weekend thing. The only way it would work where they are in the same conference is if you can guarantee only one visit to Alaska per year, which might be doable if they were added as a 12th team. However, do we want another Alaska team in our conference?

I really, really, really want UNO to be part of the WCHA. NMU would be a nice fit as well.

From what I understand, the home team always pays the travel cost of the visitor.

That would seem odd, as you would think the away team wouldn't hold back on travel and stay at the nicest places. Why didn't the Sioux fly to Tech and make them pay for the trip? If this was the case, then why did they make such a big deal of Alaska paying for teams to go up there? Anyone know for sure?