SiouxSports.com Forum

Woog and the Rug.....

Wilbur

I have a wild idea about this whole Lucia/Jones thing.

I am speculating (and that's all it is) that Lucia did indeed want to go with Jones, but Hill told him to do what Lucia always orders his players to do: Instigate verbally if at all possible and then let the opponent drop the gloves and skate away. Sure, there's no dignity in it, but it will surely draw a penalty on the other team and the Gophers could use that to their advantage.

It's happened many times before.

It wouldn't happen in MJ or the pros, but because even the act of dropping the gloves in the NCAA is illegal, it is a surefire way to go onto the powerplay if you can find the right opposing player and make him lose his cool.

I don't like that idea, but it certainly makes sense to me with regards to Minnesota. I've never seen other WCHA teams try to do it. UW in the past has employed diving (so has, at times, Minnesota). To my shame, I feel so has UND (Porter and JPL have been known to dive).

Minnesota is the only team, that I know of, that has put on the appearance of trying this tactic.

I cannot say for sure because I don't know what is said between coach and player at any given time at UMN.

Just an angle I'd throw out there.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's another point I'd make in support of what I said:

If the opposing player drops the gloves and your player doesn't, the team and its fans can remember that they cannot hear what is being said nor can they hear anything that player may have said leading up to the event. That means, on tv and on radio and even in the stands, the audience will only see the opposing player dropping his gloves.

That gives the homers the opportunity to call the opposing team a bunch of goons. Something we have seen in the past from Gopher players, fans, commentators, and coaches.

I think that is a poor strategy if it is intentional. You might get a power play, but at what cost? Momentum? locker room cohesion? THe price is too high to pay. You can't sell your integrity for a power play. In a 6-0 game, it is about honor and defending yourself, your teammates, your program.

I'll spot a team a goal if they're going to run away afraid of my team.

I think that is a poor strategy if it is intentional. You might get a power play, but at what cost? Momentum? locker room cohesion? THe price is too high to pay. You can't sell your integrity for a power play. In a 6-0 game, it is about honor and defending yourself, your teammates, your program.

I'll spot a team a goal if they're going to run away afraid of my team.

But they don't necessarily run away. They just don't drop the gloves. They just yap and then try to avoid the blows if punches are swung.

I don't approve of it, yzerman19, I just see that as their strategy. And they've done it in the past regardless of the score.

But they don't necessarily run away. They just don't drop the gloves. They just yap and then try to avoid the blows if punches are swung.

I don't approve of it, yzerman19, I just see that as their strategy. And they've done it in the past regardless of the score.

Lets not forget they are yapping, cross checking, face rubbing and all the while they won't drop their stick and or gloves.

They like a bunch of Euro leaguers and I am getting tired of their bush league tactics. Like I said before if

they were in the NHL they would be in a highlight video on YouTube at hockeyfights.com getting their ass kicked because no one would

put up with their antics. I would like to see Flynn hack one of the Bruins. Milan Lucic would wipe his ass up and down the ice.

Same with Barriball and Lucia. Notice how the troll wearing #26 backed down when challenged by big Joe Finley.

Hopefully Jones has learned his lesson which is to NOT drop the gloves until you have hold of the loser's jersey and got his lid off. Even smarter is to have your linemates start a little pushing first to get the linesmen busy first.

You gotta remember while these are great athletes they're still just kids that are in school to learn.

It is what it is. Lucia did in fact run away from Jones. Its too bad too, because the way Jonesy was going ballistic, I think Donny's daughter would've gotten beaten to a pulp. As horrible as this sounds, I would, just once, like to see one of them just get beaten stupid. Although, it probably wouldn't change anything.

Oh, one other unrelated thing. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to play a clip from "Miracle" on the big screen...Who do they think old Herby would be routing for?:D

I think the best part of the whole Jones-Lucia incident was how ticked off Jones was that Lucia wouldn't belly up and fight him. I do give Lucia credit for being smart enough not to drop the gloves. Tony looks to be a tough kid, but when Jones is in one of those moods I don't think I'd get near him....I mean the kid darn near fought the linesman.

I saw a replay of Saturday's game tonight and I think that Frank and Doug might have been talked to a little after the second period, because they change moods in the third period. It goes from being apologetic raging whining homers, back to knowledgeable hockey minds. Like I said, I enjoy listening to them call hockey games when they are being objective more than I do listening to Hennessey on the radio any time.

Hennessey did have a classic line this weekend. "Normally I'm a guy who sides more so on the side of the Sioux." Yeah, okay Hennessey, by normally you mean 150 percent of the time. :silly:

Oh, one other unrelated thing. Who on earth thought it was a good idea to play a clip from "Miracle" on the big screen...Who do they think old Herby would be routing for?:silly:

I was thinking that same thing when it started, but the clip they used had Herb say, "Tonight we are the best team in the world." So I saw it as a little jab at the gophers.

Michelletti and Miller may be the only objective gophers there are. On "Beyond the Pond" on Saturday they said they were embarrassed by the gophers' actions and said if the Sioux did the same things they were doing when they were behind late in the game, they would be saying how dirty the Sioux were. Maybe Woog and Mazzocco should take a few lessons from a few ex-players. Of course Woog is the same person to send someone out to goon Greg Johnson, then played dumb (maybe he didn't need to play) and said they wouldn't even know Greg Johnson from anyone else! You know, if that is the case, then I guess we know why Doug got fired, he couldn't point out the Sioux's all-time leading scorer.

Why do you think Herb recommended that Parise play for the Sioux?

Herb had an icy relationship with UMTC in later years. Being the head coach at St. Cloud didn't help matters.

The Gophers of old would have never "turtled" like they did this weekend. Not Butters, Auge, Holmgren, Russ Anderson, Bergloff, Don Micheletti, etc.

Michelletti and Miller may be the only objective gophers there are. On "Beyond the Pond" on Saturday they said they were embarrassed by the gophers' actions and said if the Sioux did the same things they were doing when they were behind late in the game, they would be saying how dirty the Sioux were. Maybe Woog and Mazzocco should take a few lessons from a few ex-players. Of course Woog is the same person to send someone out to goon Greg Johnson, then played dumb (maybe he didn't need to play) and said they wouldn't even know Greg Johnson from anyone else! You know, if that is the case, then I guess we know why Doug got fired, he couldn't point out the Sioux's all-time leading scorer.

the M and M boys were very complimentry of the Sioux and like the coaching staff of UND. There is an arrogance that surrounds the Gophers program that they act like they are the golden boys of College hockey and that they can do no wrong and it is B.S. This past weekend shot holes in that theory.

Not sure whether you can generalize too much on whether Lucia's decision no to go with Jones was best for his team. If the game is close, you take the PP, especially if your guy is not the one playing enforcer. If the game is out of reach, I would like to see my player go if our team is getting pushed around. The gophs were getting man-handled in both games, and I think they needed to do something to slow that down or stop it, if only to gain some respect for future games. Lucia should not have turtled, but seeing the blood in Jones' eyes up close and personal probably had something to do with his decision.

For those of you that didn't see the teams that Woog coached, this was how they played. Hitting after the whistle. Backing down from a fight and cheapshotting.

Expecting Woog not to approve isn't really realistic.

I think we all expected the Gophers to drop this crap when Lucia came in. Again for those that didn't watch back then the Lucia CC teams were a good opponent. I respected the guy. Then.

the M and M boys were very complimentry of the Sioux and like the coaching staff of UND. There is an arrogance that surrounds the Gophers program that they act like they are the golden boys of College hockey and that they can do no wrong and it is B.S. This past weekend shot holes in that theory.

I wonder if it bothers some of the Gophers die-hards that nobody on the Gopher coaching staff ever wore the "M"?

Guentzel did wear the M - I'm sure because Hill and Lucia are such buddies that created some tension, which why MG left.