SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Big Red

LeftyZL

It's definitely Mario's 7 minutes of ice time that made the difference.

I'm happy he's on the team, and happy with his play so far, but the results are a total coincidence. Do you think if he had sat Friday, the team wouldn't have gotten those bounces?

As injuries mount as the season progresses (whether that's Trupp now or the inevitable later ones), we'll get to see plenty of him.

I agree.

This isn't the Kobe Bryant approach to winning. Seriously, one guy doesn't make the team win. I don't care what the record is of the Sioux when Mario is playing.

By the way, it's a moot point now. Trupp is injured. Mario will play.

The reason why we lost last night was our offense.

We give up 2 goals per game at least. That's a given and should be planned for. We need to stop trying to play cutsy or even pass first shoot last style hockey (aka cycling until you puke). We need to just go back to the fundamentals seen in most pee-wee games with more skill. Short passes tape to tape, get it in the zone, toss the puck at the net, crash and look for rebounds. If at all possible never shoot the puck from the centerice side of the faceoff circles.

AND NEVER EVER EVER leave the front of the net uncovered. Duncan or Trupp made a beautiful centering pass but EVERYONE was behind the redline or out at center ice!!! WTF was that all about?!?!?!

Do the triangle approach I described. Either a winger or a center must be in front of the crease or out to the inside side of the faceoff circles at all times when in the offensive zone. If a skater leaves that triangle to assist in the corners, the skater from the opposite side skates in front of the net. This spreads out the D more and makes them pay attention to the guy in front of the net and less to the corner where the puck is. The scrum will ensue as usual but any centering pass now faces a scoring opportunity rather than a clear.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why we lost last night was our offense.

VV is not a first line center, Zajac is improved from last year but still can't create anything and Malone is not a WCHA center. We have no one who can create anything!! Kozek's season last year was a byproduct of Oshie. Duncan can score but has to be set up to do so. To me the line that looked like it could do something was Gregoire, Frattin and Trupp and now Trupp is out for...? This team is poor offensively and poor defensively with the exception being E in net. This team will be lucky to finish above .500 this year.

Not saying Mario is the reason UND has won, but again why does Hak continue to mess with lineups when we do win?? There is a thing called pyschology and maybe when you win and the boys feel good about a win, you let things be!! The fact is we have won games when certain guys take the ice. Not saying that is the reason for the wins, but pyschologically sometime these things do matter...like the black road jerseys. Why do we play better on the road in black than green? Makes no rational sense, but psychologically maybe it does to the guys?

VV is not a first line center, Zajac is improved from last year but still can't create anything and Malone is not a WCHA center. We have no one who can create anything!! Kozek's season last year was a byproduct of Oshie. Duncan can score but has to be set up to do so. To me the line that looked like it could do something was Gregoire, Frattin and Trupp and now Trupp is out for...? This team is poor offensively and poor defensively with the exception being E in net. This team will be lucky to finish above .500 this year.

Not saying Mario is the reason UND has won, but again why does Hak continue to mess with lineups when we do win?? There is a thing called pyschology and maybe when you win and the boys feel good about a win, you let things be!! The fact is we have won games when certain guys take the ice. Not saying that is the reason for the wins, but pyschologically sometime these things do matter...like the black road jerseys. Why do we play better on the road in black than green? Makes no rational sense, but psychologically maybe it does to the guys?

I don't think we're poor offensively per se, merely inconsistent. Agree about Malone -- he doesn't do much... The only center that could create anything is Trupp and we don't know the severity of his injury last night. Hopefully it's minor but it's tough to say. Toews probably has the potential to be able to set things up but he hasn't played enough at center for me to know that. A couple of us were talking and think we should convert gregoire to a center and play him with duncan and hextall or something. As far as not finishing above .500 ... if Wisconsin can pull even starting 0-6-1, I think we can turn things around too! So I'm not giving up yet. But losing Trupp (again) would be a huge loss. Joe Finley coming back could help defensively.

I don't think we're poor offensively per se, merely inconsistent. Agree about Malone -- he doesn't do much... The only center that could create anything is Trupp and we don't know the severity of his injury last night. Hopefully it's minor but it's tough to say. Toews probably has the potential to be able to set things up but he hasn't played enough at center for me to know that. A couple of us were talking and think we should convert gregoire to a center and play him with duncan and hextall or something. As far as not finishing above .500 ... if Wisconsin can pull even starting 0-6-1, I think we can turn things around too! So I'm not giving up yet. But losing Trupp (again) would be a huge loss. Joe Finley coming back could help defensively.

Joe will come back, and then Miller will be a spark plug on the first or second line. That will help some consistency and then make another line better, because I would assume miller goes with vandy and duncs, and then hextall drops down to line two or grinder line three.

Joe will come back, and then Miller will be a spark plug on the first or second line. That will help some consistency and then make another line better, because I would assume miller goes with vandy and duncs, and then hextall drops down to line two or grinder line three.

Miller has not shown anything in his 4 years at UND that would indicate he can be a spark plug to a line. Leave Hextal where he is at, the guy has a knack for scoring, which is more than I can say for 3/4 of this team.

bucky can thank us for their season turnaround as our third period meltdown has propelled them in a positive direction. hats off to buck for reaching .500 as being 0-6-1 and down 2 goals in the third period against us their season could have gone south real fast, but instead they have turned it around to reach .500. our season is a quote this far"we're real close" we're real close" "we're real close" heck Hak even believes this team can reach 20% on the pp for the season yet. he's dillusional(sp).

Kozek's season last year was a byproduct of Oshie.

Not true at all.

Oshie only assisted on 5 of Kozek's 18 goals. If you want to include Duncan then 6 of Kozek's goals were assisted by Oshie and/or Duncan.

I really don't understand Haks use of Kozek. He tied for the team lead in goals with Duncan last year while not getting anywhere near the powerplay time that Duncan gets while constently being moved around on different lines. Kozek was a top scorer in the junior leagues and showed last year that he is capable of scoring at this level. Yet he is rarely playing with other players who can set him up and very rarely gets any powerplay time. I just don't get it.

I really don't understand Haks use of Kozek. He tied for the team lead in goals with Duncan last year while not getting anywhere near the powerplay time that Duncan gets while constently being moved around on different lines. Kozek was a top scorer in the junior leagues and showed last year that he is capable of scoring at this level. Yet he is rarely playing with other players who can set him up and very rarely gets any powerplay time. I just don't get it.

Kozek has had PP time this year and possession has often ended when he has the puck. I'm not sure he has the puck handling and passing skills to be effective on the PP. Of course his shot there is a huge asset, but if the play dies when the puck goes to him, then his presence there is counterproductive. It hasn't helped that 95% of his shots this year have been high or wide. His energy and physical play have been terrific lately, and I think he still will play a leading role for this team before the year is out.

Not true at all.

Oshie only assisted on 5 of Kozek's 18 goals. If you want to include Duncan then 6 of Kozek's goals were assisted by Oshie and/or Duncan.

I think you contradict yourself. Assist don't tell the whole story. Oshie made space and freed up Kozek because Oshie was keyed on constantly unlike this year where Kozek has no one to help him get room or space. Kozek's success last year was directly linked to playing along side Oshie (and to a lesser extent Duncan) IMO.

I think you contradict yourself. Assist don't tell the whole story. Oshie made space and freed up Kozek because Oshie was keyed on constantly unlike this year where Kozek has no one to help him get room or space. Kozek's success last year was directly linked to playing along side Oshie (and to a lesser extent Duncan) IMO.

Can't agree. You make it sound like Kozek played on the same line as Oshie the whole season which isn't true. He played with Oshie less than half the season. Oshie assisted on 5 of the 18 goals and was on the ice for 3 others, including one unassisted goal in Duluth when the Duluth defensemen messed up in his own zone and Kozek picked up the puck and scored, hardly caused by Oshie being on the ice. He scored 10 goals without Oshie being on the ice at all.

Not trying to take anything away from Oshie as it would be a big benefit to anyone to be playing with him. It's just that the stats don't back up your claim, IMO.

Kozek has had PP time this year and possession has often ended when he has the puck. I'm not sure he has the puck handling and passing skills to be effective on the PP. Of course his shot there is a huge asset, but if the play dies when the puck goes to him, then his presence there is counterproductive. It hasn't helped that 95% of his shots this year have been high or wide. His energy and physical play have been terrific lately, and I think he still will play a leading role for this team before the year is out.

Kozek has had very little PP time, mostly when the top 2 PP lines have been out too many times or when his line is out to end the last 20 secs or so. You may have a point on the puck handling skills but as bad as our PP has looked this season I think I would look at putting him on the PP unit. After all, he tied for the team lead in goals scored last season. It's not as if we are having great success on the PP with the players we are using. Saturday night we had Toews on the 2nd unit which to me is a slap in the face to Kozek. Toews didn't even dress on Friday night, he hasn't scored a goal yet but he is on the PP while a guy who has proven that he can score goals sits on the bench. If I recall correctly, scoring goals is an important part of winning hockey games. :glare:

Kozek has had very little PP time, mostly when the top 2 PP lines have been out too many times or when his line is out to end the last 20 secs or so. You may have a point on the puck handling skills but as bad as our PP has looked this season I think I would look at putting him on the PP unit. After all, he tied for the team lead in goals scored last season. It's not as if we are having great success on the PP with the players we are using. Saturday night we had Toews on the 2nd unit which to me is a slap in the face to Kozek. Toews didn't even dress on Friday night, he hasn't scored a goal yet but he is on the PP while a guy who has proven that he can score goals sits on the bench. If I recall correctly, scoring goals is an important part of winning hockey games. :glare:

You have a good argument, but this is an entirely different season. Kozek had a good season last year sure, but he hasn't done anything offensively in a while and has yet to be an offensive force this year. he's been a much needed physical force out there, but as far as scoring it hasn't been there. Everytime he has the puck it's rarely even on net. this 'no kozek on the PP' whinefest is getting old, there's a lot of guys out there that can play-- we are deep at fwd ... so not everyone is going to get time on the PP

You have a good argument, but this is an entirely different season. Kozek had a good season last year sure, but he hasn't done anything offensively in a while and has yet to be an offensive force this year. he's been a much needed physical force out there, but as far as scoring it hasn't been there. Everytime he has the puck it's rarely even on net. this 'no kozek on the PP' whinefest is getting old, there's a lot of guys out there that can play-- we are deep at fwd ... so not everyone is going to get time on the PP

Ok...we are not deep at forward..."scoring wise" Kozek needs to be on the top PP unit. Most of our forwards do not have the puck skills to make plays. Put Kozek on the top PP where he has some space to let his shot go.

I didn't get to Senser's to see Saturday's game.

Anyone have video uploaded somewhere of the goal that was waved off?

I know it doesn't matter now, but would like to see it...maybe it's better I don't as it may piss me off. :glare:

I didn't get to Senser's to see Saturday's game.

Anyone have video uploaded somewhere of the goal that was waved off?

I know it doesn't matter now, but would like to see it...maybe it's better I don't as it may piss me off. :glare:

That was the crucial play of the game. If the Sioux get that one they win going away.

If you get to watch the slow motion overhead that Shepherd watched, you will be po'd.

I watched that play last night and that was horrible and brutal call, if I was Hakstol I would send the tape of that goal into the league office because that was a Horse !@$! call. The refs cost the Sioux points and it was a brutal and incompetent call. Does anyone have the video of it?

I watched that play last night and that was horrible and brutal call, if I was Hakstol I would send the tape of that goal into the league office because that was a Horse !@$! call. The refs cost the Sioux points and it was a brutal and incompetent call. Does anyone have the video of it?

Not good when this is the quote from a non-conference coach playing his first series at the Ralph...

I am not sure how he can say that when the Sioux ran his team out of the building and I thought Saturday the Refs gave him a life line back calling back a legitimate and good goal. The goalie skated into VV who wasn't in the crease. I watched the film that was a brutal call by the ref.

So if anything he would have gotten a point from the series if the refs make the right call. That being said Cornell isn't as good as their hype.

Cornell is their usual MO...tight defensively and jump on any mistakes by the other team. I got that quote from the article on the front page of this site.

Finally made it back to Ithaca a few hours ago, a long, round-about trip home.

The Cornell fans who made it out to Grand Forks had a great weekend. Of course it was helped very much by the win Saturday night. The GF Herald summed it up perfectly Sunday morning with the headline "Cornell's Kind of Game."

Almost all of the folks we ran into while wearing our bright red gear around town were super nice. By the end of the weekend we should have been wearing an FAQ sign:

1. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY. No, it's not in New York city, nor Boston.

2. No, we didn't drive all the way from New York.

3. No, we're not crazy, we came for 2 hockey games, not just 1.

4. Yes, the rink is nice.

We strongly encouraged anyone who would listen to come out east to Lynah next season. For a more complete (and silly) wrap-up from a few Cornell fans of the weekend, visit eLynah.

Again, it was a great trip! Good luck the rest of the season. :glare:

LGR!

Finally made it back to Ithaca a few hours ago, a long, round-about trip home.

The Cornell fans who made it out to Grand Forks had a great weekend. Of course it was helped very much by the win Saturday night. The GF Herald summed it up perfectly Sunday morning with the headline "Cornell's Kind of Game."

Almost all of the folks we ran into while wearing our bright red gear around town were super nice. By the end of the weekend we should have been wearing an FAQ sign:

1. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY. No, it's not in New York city, nor Boston.

2. No, we didn't drive all the way from New York.

3. No, we're not crazy, we came for 2 hockey games, not just 1.

4. Yes, the rink is nice.

We strongly encouraged anyone who would listen to come out east to Lynah next season. For a more complete (and silly) wrap-up from a few Cornell fans of the weekend, visit eLynah.

Again, it was a great trip! Good luck the rest of the season. :glare:

LGR!

How's the Cornell rink?? For those of us who may want to make the trip to Ithaca next year....