SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Big Red

LeftyZL

Finally made it back to Ithaca a few hours ago, a long, round-about trip home.

The Cornell fans who made it out to Grand Forks had a great weekend. Of course it was helped very much by the win Saturday night. The GF Herald summed it up perfectly Sunday morning with the headline "Cornell's Kind of Game."

Almost all of the folks we ran into while wearing our bright red gear around town were super nice. By the end of the weekend we should have been wearing an FAQ sign:

1. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY. No, it's not in New York city, nor Boston.

2. No, we didn't drive all the way from New York.

3. No, we're not crazy, we came for 2 hockey games, not just 1.

4. Yes, the rink is nice.

We strongly encouraged anyone who would listen to come out east to Lynah next season. For a more complete (and silly) wrap-up from a few Cornell fans of the weekend, visit eLynah.

Again, it was a great trip! Good luck the rest of the season. :huh:

LGR!

glad you had a nice time. sorry the fireworks, cheerleaders and laser show were too much for ya if that was you responding in your little wrap up q & a if thats what that is you posted ;)

highly doubt you taught the sioux fans the sieve cheer. hockeys been around a while in grand forks with 7 national titles to boot ;) the sudents were gone for holiday break so thats why the student section was a little empty and that effects the overall atmosphere without a doubt in a arena that large. the atmosphere has been lacking. no doubt about that.

love the 2 folding table reference at your rink, thats some funny stuff :glare:

#23 is ralph engelstads number when he played

the sioux SALUTE their fans when they have a series sweep which is how it should be in my eyes

nice recap, will be a good series in ithaca next january!! or maybe we will meet in the nc$$ tourney if you get the auto bid or get in that top 14 along with the sioux

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all of the folks we ran into while wearing our bright red gear around town were super nice. By the end of the weekend we should have been wearing an FAQ sign:

1. Cornell is in Ithaca, NY. No, it's not in New York city, nor Boston.

2. No, we didn't drive all the way from New York.

3. No, we're not crazy, we came for 2 hockey games, not just 1.

4. Yes, the rink is nice.

LGR!

What, no one asked about Cornell's most famous alum, Andy from the Office. :glare: Seriously, I'm looking forward to hitting Lynah next year. I've heard a great deal of its legendary status and I'm intererested in how the atmosphere compares to the old Engelstad.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to hitting Lynah next year. I've heard a great deal of its legendary status and I'm intererested in how the atmosphere compares to the old Engelstad.

Lynah is an "old barn" in every sense of the phrase. Low roof, wood bench seats, seating on 3 sides and an avid fan base. The students (along the home bench side) stand the entire game (see photo on link below). I heard from a few folks in Grand Forks that the UND students were not allowed to stand after some debate in the new ralph. It should be a good showing next season by Cornell fans despite the games being over winter break, because it's the weekend before classes start and many students are around for Greek rush.

Here's a good snapshot and summary of the rink from a long-time Cornell hockey fan. CHTG posted above is also a good summary. We feel Duke's Cameron field house is to college basketball as Cornell's Lynah is to college hockey.

Section O, where visitor tickets are sold, is opposite the student section, so don't worry about being stuck in a sea of red when you come visit next year.

LGR!

The best part of Saturday night (which, strangely, wasn't mentioned in the Cornell fan blog) occurred during the intro. Cornell fans were chanting "boring, boring" (as mentioned in their blog) and, on cue, the Dak then showed every one--all 7--Sioux goals scored against Big Red the night before! Unfortunately, for this Sioux fan, my smug joy at Cornell's expense was short-lived, however.

BTW, I lived in Syracuse, NY, for a year without every going to Ithaca.

The best part of Saturday night (which, strangely, wasn't mentioned in the Cornell fan blog) occurred during the intro. Cornell fans were chanting "boring, boring" (as mentioned in their blog) and, on cue, the Dak then showed every one--all 7--Sioux goals scored against Big Red the night before! Unfortunately, for this Sioux fan, my smug joy at Cornell's expense was short-lived, however.

BTW, I lived in Syracuse, NY, for a year without every going to Ithaca.

Isn't there a gun factory in Ithaca NY? Of course it would be boring for Cornell fans they got 7 goals hung on their goaltenders.