SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Badgers

Joewee

I wanna say one thing. It's going to be fun watching The "Jay-goire" here at UND. He's one of those kids that looks special. We have to count our blessings that he didn't end up at Denver.

words can't describe how much i love jason gregoire.... he definitely came alive this weekend. :lol: he's definitely the standout of the freshman class thus far. hopefully his classmates will be able to get something going in the coming weeks as well...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R-E-L-A-X

This team is still finding an identity and for 2 periods they did a great job of controling the play. Things got out of whack in the 3rd but you have to remember that Wisconsin was winless and definatetly left everything on the ice to get that win. There are a million things to correct but i think we have a solid team overall. Finley will definately stabilize the defense and I like Eidsness. He's a freshmen and is gaining valuable experience with playing both games this weekend. Welcome to the WCHA, kid. Genoway is trying to do to much. We don't have an Oshie or Toews this years to carry a line (team) in the scoring dept. and think it might work out in the end by having a more balanced team. I didn't think this team would finish in the top 3 this year but this will still be a fun team to watch. You never know come tournament time and the lessons our young defense and our young goalie are learning will pay off at some point. Will it be this year....? That remains to be seen but we'll find out in a couple of months wether we have it or not. #17 is a good player!

R-E-L-A-X

This team is still finding an identity and for 2 periods they did a great job of controling the play. Things got out of whack in the 3rd but you have to remember that Wisconsin was winless and definatetly left everything on the ice to get that win. There are a million things to correct but i think we have a solid team overall. Finley will definately stabilize the defense and I like Eidsness. He's a freshmen and is gaining valuable experience with playing both games this weekend. Welcome to the WCHA, kid. Genoway is trying to do to much. We don't have an Oshie or Toews this years to carry a line (team) in the scoring dept. and think it might work out in the end by having a more balanced team. I didn't think this team would finish in the top 3 this year but this will still be a fun team to watch. You never know come tournament time and the lessons our young defense and our young goalie are learning will pay off at some point. Will it be this year....? That remains to be seen but we'll find out in a couple of months wether we have it or not. #17 is a good player!

How is Hextall on the top line?? Where is Toews? Our D has a lot of work to do.

How is Hextall on the top line?? Where is Toews? Our D has a lot of work to do.

Hextall's a decent player. But yes, don't know about the top line for him. Toews I think they are trying to figure out where he fits in. He has only played 2 games. Defense should be a focus in practice this week... because it was awful in the third period. We don't have a brick wall in goal yet to bail us out like we did last year. Oh, and Miller needs to be more consistent if he wants to be in the lineup every night, i don't think he played well tonight.

We had a bad few minutes; 2:47 of the 3rd period to be exact. I believe up to that point our team played an outstanding six periods of hockey (including the 3rd period of the last series). Unfortunately, our team got a rude awakening of what a hungry team is capable of doing - regardless of their record! Last weekend we were at the wrong end of a short handed hat trick, this weekend a five goal period from a team that hasn't won a game. But, in between, we saw some real Sioux hockey. I believe both of the extremes that we have endoured will only make us stronger - if we pay attention. I have watched, too many times before, as a young goaltender's game is broken by a late game goal - when he had visions of a shut out! Instead of focusing on whats in front of him, he tends to look back on what could have been - and before you know it - another goal is scored, and then another; thankfully Hak called a time out last night. Not positive if this was the case for Mr. Eidsness, but in my experiece this is the mental side of the position more than the physical. We would be remiss if we failed to acknowledge the outstanding play of the wisconsin goaltender - we were robbed numerous times early in the game! Without his play, they would not have been within stricking distance in the 3rd period. I wonder how much of his play could be attributed to their former goalie coach? Which leads me to wonder if our tenders are getting both the physical and mental development they need to play at this level. Again, just wondering....because if we are subscribing to the school of hard knocks, I hope we have the patience.

Hextall's a decent player. But yes, don't know about the top line for him. Toews I think they are trying to figure out where he fits in. He has only played 2 games. Defense should be a focus in practice this week... because it was awful in the third period. We don't have a brick wall in goal yet to bail us out like we did last year. Oh, and Miller needs to be more consistent if he wants to be in the lineup every night, i don't think he played well tonight.

I hate to be so blunt, but I have a better chance of scoring on the weekend than Miller does.

You can take that any way you'd like.

I hate to be so blunt, but I have a better chance of scoring on the weekend than Miller does.

i don't know how much of a ladies man you are, but you do realize that he leads our team in goals? i'm not saying he deserves to play every game, and qb both pp units (am i the only one who noticed miller NEVER came off during our pp?), but it is what it is. and his shot friday night was a thing of beauty. that being said, he is very sporatic, some games looks great, other games looks horrible. i was hoping to see mario lam. this weekend, hopefully gets a shot next weekend, and hopefully finley will be back to stabalize the blueline, it's a little shaky right now.

i don't know how much of a ladies man you are, but you do realize that he leads our team in goals? i'm not saying he deserves to play every game, and qb both pp units (am i the only one who noticed miller NEVER came off during our pp?), but it is what it is. and his shot friday night was a thing of beauty. that being said, he is very sporatic, some games looks great, other games looks horrible. i was hoping to see mario lam. this weekend, hopefully gets a shot next weekend, and hopefully finley will be back to stabalize the blueline, it's a little shaky right now.

Bottom line is we need to be scoring more than 2 goals a game and we need our top 3 lines that have the majority of the ice time to step up their scoring!!....

I find it funny that alot of people on here pick out Miller as the one who cant play consistent. Ive saw alot worse forwards on the ice than him last night in sioux jerseys. Now Im not trying to be mr. negative, but there are at least 2 forwards I would worry about before Miller.

Same here.I leave it's 2-0 good guys and I come back and it's 3-2 bad guys. :lol:

That was the funny thing, I went down got a beer between periods went to say hi to a buddy, on the way back to my seat I stopped to talk to another buddy, then I realized my beer that I just got evaporated so I had to go buy another beer. By that time I got back to my seat the game was getting ugly.

A few late impressions on the weekend:

1) The defense WITH Finley will be just fine. With him taking up 30 minutes, that's 30 minutes that Fienhage/Blood can watch and learn. Without Big Joe, UND sends out rookies in the first month of their career against other teams top-line players. Especially on the PK. I like what the rookies bring, in terms of raw talent. At this point in their careers, I'd rather they not have to go out and do PK, or be on the ice pressing for a late goal. Jones with another quiet and solid series. Genoway, as others have noted, didn't have the same jump Saturday as we've seen.

2) Loved the play of most of our forward lines for the first 90 minutes on the weekend. Mid-second period Saturday, things stopped working. Duncan and Vandevelde are dynamic, and could have had a hat trick each night. They really need to be finishing.

3) First period Saturday was as good a skating and playmaking period as I've seen from the Sioux in a long time. Unfortunately, by not finishing, we left the door open. Cycle, cycle, great shot, save. Repeat. Repeat.

4) #1 powerplay unit was moving the puck well all weekend. Liked.

5) The new penalty standard is really helping Duncan. FINALLY, he's getting room to make moves without some doorknob hooking or holding him. I like the new standards for penalties. On the weekend, he drew 4 powerplays, Trupp drew at least 3, and Watkins and Frattin one each, simply by outhustling and using their speed.

6) As in previous years, a key to how the Sioux will do is how much we're hitting. Friday, we hit. Saturday, we stopped after 20 minutes. That's been a reliable indicator (for my eyes anyway) for a few years now.

7) I loved how many of the 58-59 team came back, but I was disappointed that the PA couldn't ask people to stay in their seats for a special presentation after the 2nd period Saturday. I think alot of people stepped out not knowing what was coming (I almost did).

8) Last but not least, the enthusiasm for UND Hockey continues to amaze me, with a packed house both nights. The spectacle of 11,500+ EVERY NIGHT is something that never gets old.

9) Once Wisconsin gets all their rookies on the same page, they will be tough. We had the opportunity to put some space between us and them, and the next meetings - March in Madison to end the season - will be a tough road.

10) I wish there was a game on Halloween every year.

Can someone please explain to me why Andrew Kozak is not on the power plays first or second unit? This kid let the team in goals last year without the benefit of expended ice time or power play time and he has the best wrist shot in college hockey but he still can't crack our power play? Martens goes from the press box to the power play on a nightly basis but we can't find room for Kozak? Give me a break!

Can someone please explain to me why Andrew Kozak is not on the power plays first or second unit? This kid let the team in goals last year without the benefit of expended ice time or power play time and he has the best wrist shot in college hockey but he still can't crack our power play? Martens goes from the press box to the power play on a nightly basis but we can't find room for Kozak? Give me a break!

I completely disagree. Kozek, has the best wrist shot in college hockey...not this Kozak guy you are talking about.

I think the coach's know who the best powerplay guys are. And Martens should have played in the saturday game. I will keep it zipped who I think should have been up in the press box. Also, Kozek is great... and he can score goals. But that's it really. Truth be told he doesn't get many assists, he just gets goals. There's only so much room in the powerplay. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him there at some point in the future though. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

Kozek is great... and he can score goals. But that's it really. Truth be told he doesn't get many assists, he just gets goals.

Can we both assume that we could use a guy that 'just gets goals' on the power play? For heaven sakes, we have guys on the power play that don't get goals or assists and the last time I checked we keep score by goals.

What are the Power Play units right now?

The more memorable one was the one with trupp and gregoire on the same unit. I don't remember who all was on it. I do know that they need to keep those two together. Trupp assisted on both of gregoire's goals this weekend.

As for Kozek --I'm sure it's tough to decide who is going to be on the units. I'd take it up with someone who has some influence on that decision, b/c i sure as hell don't. :lol:

The more memorable one was the one with trupp and gregoire on the same unit. I don't remember who all was on it. I do know that they need to keep those two together. Trupp assisted on both of gregoire's goals this weekend.

As for Kozek --I'm sure it's tough to decide who is going to be on the units. I'd take it up with someone who has some influence on that decision, b/c i sure as hell don't. :lol:

I want to say Trupp-Gregoire-Miller?

I think if we take a step back and look at the big picture, things aren't all that bad. I thought 5 on 5 the team was solid, so when the special teams play comes around and they can get Finley back anchoring the blue line this will be a pretty solid team. What else should we be expecting this early in the year while players find their roles?