SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

On the personal side of former players, Derrick LaPoint got married in Denmark today.

And of course Brent Davidson married Jocelyne Lamoureux today as well. Pretty sure that wedding/reception brought a lot of former players into town!

Thanks for the report, Miss TMZ!

Thanks for the report, Miss TMZ!

Haha for a lot of these players, we kind of watch them grow up. I think it's nice to continue to follow them a bit (note I said 'a bit', as in 'if I happen to see something online'. I'm not hiding in the bushes with a camera...yet).

Maybe I should have put it in the 'prospective recruits' thread, since any Lamoureux-Davidson babies are likely to pull on the Sioux sweater and dominate. :)

• Upvote 3

Haha for a lot of these players, we kind of watch them grow up. I think it's nice to continue to follow them a bit (note I said 'a bit', as in 'if I happen to see something online'. I'm not hiding in the bushes with a camera...yet).

Maybe I should have put it in the 'prospective recruits' thread, since any Lamoureux-Davidson babies are likely to pull on the Sioux sweater and dominate. :)

Out of curiosity, how do you "happen" to see online that Derrick LaPoint gets married in Denmark? ;)

Out of curiosity, how do you "happen" to see online that Derrick LaPoint gets married in Denmark? ;)

Not sure if you're just being facetious, but @UNDSID tweeted a congratulatory message to Jocelyne and Brent. Brad Eidsness responded and mentioned LaPoint's wedding. @UNDSID then retweeted his tweet.

Not sure if you're just being facetious, but @UNDSID tweeted a congratulatory message to Jocelyne and Brent. Brad Eidsness responded and mentioned LaPoint's wedding. @UNDSID then retweeted his tweet.

Haha Eidsness' reply was exactly how I knew.

keikla just "happened to be in the neighborhood" and stopped by the church in Copenhagen to see what all the fuss was about...

• Upvote 1

And of course Brent Davidson married Jocelyne Lamoureux today as well. Pretty sure that wedding/reception brought a lot of former players into town!

So happy to see this! I expect a slew of UND hockey players coming from this marriage! If only half as many as her dad and mom's brood, we're in good shape!

(yeah, there's more to life than UND hockey...I get it..)

keikla just "happened to be in the neighborhood" and stopped by the church in Copenhagen to see what all the fuss was about...

I was actually in Copenhagen (one of my favorite cities, apart from the showers) in May. Had I known about the wedding, I obviously would have altered my travel plans to be there now!

Matt Greene signs a 4-year, $10M contract extension with the Kings.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455630

My fav sioux d man, drove ya crazy some weekends ha but the guy will put it all on the line as he's showed in la.

After commie he is the only former sioux on D who plays nightly in last ten years and actualy made it to the show. that will change with schmaltz and others next few years. on the other side of the coin UND has helped produce some of the best 2 way forwards in the NHL with a handful wearing letters already! Go sioux

How has Frattin not fit for a team so far? I thought for sure his game would match the way LA plays perfectly.

Frattin was one of Toronto's best players in the playoffs 2 years ago. He kept getting dinged up for LA and they brought Toffoli up and he basically took his spot. similar players, Toffoli is 4 years younger.

Frattin was one of Toronto's best players in the playoffs 2 years ago. He kept getting dinged up for LA and they brought Toffoli up and he basically took his spot. similar players, Toffoli is 4 years younger.

Which clearly explains why they would trade him away, then promptly make a trade to bring him back. WTF, Toronto? Too bad all those folks sold their Maple Leaf Frattin jerseys...they're suddenly back in style. :lol:

My fav sioux d man, drove ya crazy some weekends ha but the guy will put it all on the line as he's showed in la.

After commie he is the only former sioux on D who plays nightly in last ten years and actualy made it to the show. that will change with schmaltz and others next few years. on the other side of the coin UND has helped produce some of the best 2 way forwards in the NHL with a handful wearing letters already! Go sioux

The lack of former Sioux d-men in the NHL is puzzling to say the least. Off the top of my head I can name at least 8 Gopher d-men who play regularly. I guess their offensive game fits today's league better then in the past. And I agree with you that UND will start sending more with Schmaltz and others in the pipeline who are more offensive.

On another note, anyone excited at the prospect of Vanek and Parise on a line together?

The lack of former Sioux d-men in the NHL is puzzling to say the least. Off the top of my head I can name at least 8 Gopher d-men who play regularly. I guess their offensive game fits today's league better then in the past. And I agree with you that UND will start sending more with Schmaltz and others in the pipeline who are more offensive.

On another note, anyone excited at the prospect of Vanek and Parise on a line together?

They are both excellent players, however...

If I were a GM, I would build from the middle of the rink out, and the back of the rink up...Suter is absolutely a dman you build a team around, and some of the youngsters have potential. I think the missing element is truly a great 2-way center...a Toews or a Kopitar or a Bergeron type guy who will score 25-35 goals, 60-80 points, against other teams' top forward lines, playing plus hockey, winning draws, and playing well in all 3 zones.

The 3 guys I named not only have those skills in common, but also have rings from each of the last 5 seasons.

If you go back further some names pop up...Yzerman, Datsyuk...great 2-way centers. You need an elite 2-way center to win the cup. Mikko is a good two-way center. He is a dream as your #2 pivot...Wild need a top-end, two-way center.

I still have my Leaf's t-shirt with his number on the back. Time to dig it out of the bottom of the drawer! :D

My daughter can like the Leafs again. She has a Frattin Leafs jersey, too.

• Upvote 1

Greene's latest contract only makes me feel even stronger about the idea that athletes make too much. For me athletes are good because they inspire many, but because of that, I feel like the players should take a pay cut and give the left over funds to student organizations. Use Greene for example; does he really need 10 million to live. Ok make that 5 million with taxes, but still. I say a million is more then enough to live on when most families much less then that and are fine. donate the other four million or 4 million to a program that supports students and be a real role model. Many athletes often times donate to past organizations such as Engelstad and his wife, but it is not always needed.

Greene's latest contract only makes me feel even stronger about the idea that athletes make too much. For me athletes are good because they inspire many, but because of that, I feel like the players should take a pay cut and give the left over funds to student organizations. Use Greene for example; does he really need 10 million to live. Ok make that 5 million with taxes, but still. I say a million is more then enough to live on when most families much less then that and are fine. donate the other four million or 4 million to a program that supports students and be a real role model. Many athletes often times donate to past organizations such as Engelstad and his wife, but it is not always needed.

Wow! And how do you feel about large corporations?! <cringing>

Greene is not a corporation. He is an employee.

Yeah, I know that. I also know that the more they're paid, $hit rolls downhill...and that raises ticket prices, concession prices, etc. The average Joe like me can hardly afford to take his family to a game, and certainly can't take them to multiple games. I'm not a huge fan of some of these salaries either. That being said, how can you blame a guy for making what someone is willing to pay him? And if the owners are willing to pay them that much, it's because fans will show up and pay the ticket prices and buy $12 beers. You can't "tell" someone that all they can make is $1M, or make them donate money somewhere. Reading that comment was comical.

What about doctors, lawyers, etc.? Do they make too much and should we make them donate a certain amount of money somewhere?

Should we require that corporations that make huge profits donate that to student organizations as well?

• Upvote 2