SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I think not getting a 12th game next season is a mistake. I like the idea of using it for a future home and home. I think next year there are going to be more teams who have 8 wins and be at 8-4. If a team does play 12 and loses but gets to 7 wins does 7-5 look any worse than 7-4?

I know its an extra game of wear and tear on the team but we always need to be thinking playoffs and if playing 12 games gives us a better chance at the end of the year, we have to do it.

I think not getting a 12th game next season is a mistake. I like the idea of using it for a future home and home. I think next year there are going to be more teams who have 8 wins and be at 8-4. If a team does play 12 and loses but gets to 7 wins does 7-5 look any worse than 7-4?

I know its an extra game of wear and tear on the team but we always need to be thinking playoffs and if playing 12 games gives us a better chance at the end of the year, we have to do it.

FBS schools seem to be just fine playing an extra game. I'd like to see more FCS teams take that 12th game.

FBS schools seem to be just fine playing an extra game. I'd like to see more FCS teams take that 12th game.

They seem just fine but they also don't potentially have a string of 3 or 4 playoff games starting immediately. They have 1 (2 if they play in a conference title game). Also, with the current BCS not playing a 12th game would be detrimental to a team with any nat'l championship hopes.

That being said, I really want to see UND take advantage of the opportunity to schedule a 12th game. We already have the luxery of 7 home games so going on the road for 5 wouldn't be a big deal..

What will be interesting next year is how the playoff selection committee looks at teams that played a different amount of games. Also the playoff field is expanding to 24 which adds even more intrigue. Which team deserves to make it more, a team that went 8-3 or a team that went 8-4? Playing a 12th game gives you another chance for a win, but also gives you a chance for another loss. So next year will be interesting to see how different number of games plays out.

According to a Dan Hammer tweet:

I think the reason for this was not because UND didn't want a 12th game, but because of where it would be in our schedule. If we wanted to schedule an FBS game next year, it would have to be either Sep 21 or Nov 23. Sep. 21 falls right between Montana and Montana State. Might be good to have a week off before we play the Bobcats. No FBS team is going to schedule and FCS team the last week of the season. I realize that Alabama and other schools have done that in the past, but not a good chance.

That being said, scheduling a home game on Sept 21 would mean that we would have 8 home games next year and start the year off with 5 straight home games!!! That would be ridiculously awesome!!!!

I think the reason for this was not because UND didn't want a 12th game, but because of where it would be in our schedule. If we wanted to schedule an FBS game next year, it would have to be either Sep 21 or Nov 23. Sep. 21 falls right between Montana and Montana State. Might be good to have a week off before we play the Bobcats. No FBS team is going to schedule and FCS team the last week of the season. I realize that Alabama and other schools have done that in the past, but not a good chance.

That being said, scheduling a home game on Sept 21 would mean that we would have 8 home games next year and start the year off with 5 straight home games!!! That would be ridiculously awesome!!!!

I don't think an FCS team to end the season is a bad thing for an FBS team. You don't want to schedule someone that may knock you out of a preferred bowl game, and FCS losses are comparatively rare. But then again in the absence of another conference opponent you want a game to keep the guys in playing condition before the long layoff before the bowl season.

Wow - 5 straight home games - that could be tough on the liver.

While I can't answer scheduling questions (not my area) - just want to point out that the future schedules are all available on the UNDSports.com website. Here's a link to next seasons' awesome schedule: http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58644&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&Q_SEASON=2013

Check the drop down box above the countdown to look at schedules for other seasons (obviously a work in process)

While I can't answer scheduling questions (not my area) - just want to point out that the future schedules are all available on the UNDSports.com website. Here's a link to next seasons' awesome schedule: http://www.undsports...0&Q_SEASON=2013

Check the drop down box above the countdown to look at schedules for other seasons (obviously a work in process)

No Weber State again next year?

While I can't answer scheduling questions (not my area) - just want to point out that the future schedules are all available on the UNDSports.com website. Here's a link to next seasons' awesome schedule: http://www.undsports...0&Q_SEASON=2013

Next year we start out with 4 straight home games, all in September. 3 against familiar foes, and 1 of those against a very familiar foe. (SDSU) More games at the beginning of the year, nicer weather for tailgating, familiar teams..Sounds like a recipe for a great atmosphere and attendance!! (Of course it all hinges on how the team is playing)

• Upvote 1

As a fan, I'd like 12 games. And there are obvious merits to the extra game as far as playoff implications, building relationships with other FCS foes, and potential FBS money goes. But looking at next years schedule, I can't fault the staff for wanting to stick with 11. UND has the 2nd most difficult FCS schedule this season. When I see UM, MSU, EWU, SDSU, and Sac on next years schedule, it makes me think next year won't be much easier. If the BYE week didn't fall between the Griz and Cats, I may feel differently. But as it stands, the break between those games could be very beneficial toward the goal of making the playoffs. Even though the Griz game is non-conference, it could be a pivotal game as far as an at-large bid goes next season.............

Rumor on the Griz board is that the new Montana AD is attempting to buy out UM's non-conference September game in Grand Forks.

http://www.egriz.com...php?f=1&t=60022

Only because we beat them this year. If UM would've won there would be no rumor and thought about a buyout. UM has had a history of buying out games and UND has been bitten twice since 2008 (Idaho State and Central Arkansas). I hope it was just a rumor by a couple of fans who don't want to go to GF. I enjoyed that game and their fans at the game were great too. If they do buyout this year...UM will be back at the Alerus in 2014 for a conference game.

• Upvote 1

I don't like when schools buy games out. It has happened many times to both UND and NDSU. I would think Montana would feel a little more of an obligation to UND because they are in the same conference. It would be very poor of Montana to do that. It wouldn't exactly be a situation that would create good feelings between same conference teams. I would think Montana would be above that.

Sept 14th, 2013 would be the date. UND would have back to back byes and Sept 21 is a bye week. Before rumors start...Yes NDSU is also off on Sept. 14th but they already have 11 games so if they want a 12th game...UND could be a team they can call if UM does indeed backout. Idaho State (IMO) is still on my !@#$ list for backing out of the UND game in 2009 (replaced by the Brittney Spears concert). I can only see UND doing conference games with them only. I hope this is just a rumor with UM.

Well, UM makes somewhere in the neighborhood of $500,000 per home game in gross revenue from ticket sales. IIRC, the buyout is $100,000 so I would not be at all surprised if they didn't show up in GF next season.

Money is one thing but buying out a lot of games may blackball you across the FCS world. UM may find themselves without an OOC team if they screw everyone.

We could chip in on a buy out of their Western Carolina game and schedule a game for the 14th in the Fargo Dome. I'm sure their fans no matter how arrogant and stubborn they may be would much rather watch the Bizun pound UND instead of pound Western Carolina. Hopefully Montana pulls the trigger and we can make a deal.

We could chip in on a buy out of their Western Carolina game and schedule a game for the 14th in the Fargo Dome. I'm sure their fans no matter how arrogant and stubborn they may be would much rather watch the Bizun pound UND instead of pound Western Carolina. Hopefully Montana pulls the trigger and we can make a deal.

That just sounds desperate. Without a multi-year deal nothing should be scheduled with the bizun in Fargo. We can't expect them to act in good faith when it comes to scheduling football.

• Upvote 1