SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Another BSC school buying out a contract, no surprise there. What is surprising is that after having the benefit of being able to watch NDSU and SDSU go through the transition I'm shocked that whoever setup that contract for UND didn't call for a larger buyout. On the other hand it's possible they did but Idaho balked at anything larger and not having really any weight to throw around being UND is in the transition they agreed to that low buyout. I have to believe that the powers at be for UND knew this was coming.

I found this website called FootballScoop.com that lists open dates for football games from NAIA all the way to FBS. Interesting to see who is still looking for games.

UND is still showing open dates on:

Sept. 5

Oct. 3

Oct. 17

Nov. 7

Nov. 14

Nov. 21

Hopefully this site gets updated soon to account for WWU's dropping of football. I have to think one of our open dates will match up with Central Washington. Central Connecticut St. (played in Fargo last year) appears to have several open dates, as well.

UND is still showing open dates on:

Sept. 5

Oct. 3

Oct. 17

Nov. 7

Nov. 14

Nov. 21

Don't know how up to date that site is, but it is still a good resource. Sept 5 is Texas Tech. The Sioux Falls game is a Thursday night game on Oct 15. As RD17 pointed out, we know that UND is shopping for a home game Nov 7. I would guess that the USD game will be either Nov 14 or 21.

My guess, and strictly a guess, is that the Cal Poly game will be on Oct 31 and the UC Davis game Oct 10. I would think the current open dates left to fill are Oct. 3, Nov. 7, and either Nov. 14 or 21 (USD could be either of those dates).

Definately not good news about Idaho St. Sounding like a 10 game season for sure now.

Like UND92,96 said, it would be nice if we could get something to work out with Central Washington. All of the GNAC teams are possibilities now. Remember that conference played a double round-robin, so every team left just lost 2 games off of their schedules, not just one. A couple posts on Eastern Washington's message board indicated that they were scheduled to play WWU again in '09, so they may be looking for a game again too.

Don't know how up to date that site is, but it is still a good resource. Sept 5 is Texas Tech. The Sioux Falls game is a Thursday night game on Oct 15. As RD17 pointed out, we know that UND is shopping for a home game Nov 7. I would guess that the USD game will be either Nov 14 or 21.

My guess, and strictly a guess, is that the Cal Poly game will be on Oct 31 and the UC Davis game Oct 10. I would think the current open dates left to fill are Oct. 3, Nov. 7, and either Nov. 14 or 21 (USD could be either of those dates).

Definately not good news about Idaho St. Sounding like a 10 game season for sure now.

Like UND92,96 said, it would be nice if we could get something to work out with Central Washington. All of the GNAC teams are possibilities now. Remember that conference played a double round-robin, so every team left just lost 2 games off of their schedules, not just one. A couple posts on Eastern Washington's message board indicated that they were scheduled to play WWU again in '09, so they may be looking for a game again too.

I heard a rumor that Homecoming will be October 3rd. They must have a game already arranged if that rumor is true.

We play at SUU October 24, 2009.

I didnt know if it was listed anywhere but SUU just released there schedule

9-5-09 Open

9-12-09 @ San Diego State

9-19-09 @ Northern Arizona

9-26-09 @ Utah State

10-3-09 vs. Texas State

10-10-09 Bye Week

10-17-09* @ Cal-Poly

10-24-09* vs. North Dakota

10-31-09* vs. UC Davis

11-7-09* @ South Dakota

11-14-09 vs. Eastern Washington

11-21-09 @USD (San Diego)

Wayne Nelson weighs in on the scheduling conundrum.

UND wants to play 11 games next season. So far, six road games tentatively have been scheduled. Four games were believed to have been scheduled for the Alerus Center, but one of those was supposedly Idaho State.

That's about the only good news. Tentatively good news of course. :D Obviously there is another away game brewing that we haven't heard anything about yet.

I heard a rumor that Homecoming will be October 3rd. They must have a game already arranged if that rumor is true.

Thanks for the correction. Homecoming is indeed on October 3rd this year.

Wayne Nelson said there are currently 4 home games scheduled, including Idaho St. The others are of course Cal Poly, South Dakota, and Sioux Falls. The date has been announced for USF, Poly hosts South Dakota St. on Oct 3rd, so that apparently means that USD is the homecoming opponent. To me, that isn't ideal because USD would be one of the better drawing games by itself, and of course homecoming brings in a big crowd regardless of the opponent. I have also liked keeping the Sioux-Yote game as the season finale as it has been the last several years.

Here's a reason to speed up the nickname issue.
Just goes to show that Maturi is as much of a pussy as his men's hockey team. Honest to god, why the hell can't people learn to mind their own damn business. If he were a man, he'd say something like "We play regional teams. They're a regional team. Their nickname is their business."

USD is apparently having just as many scheduling problems as we are. Some time ago, they announced a tentative 2009 schedule that included six home games--McNeese State, SE Louisiana, UC-Davis, Southern Utah, dII West Texas A & M and NAIA William Penn. McNeese backed out some time ago, and West Texas A & M released their schedule a few weeks ago, and it didn't include USD. It will be interesting to see whether SE Louisiana exercises a buyout clause, too.

Wayne Nelson confirms that Idaho State has bought out its contract, and won't be playing in Grand Forks in 2009: link

I'd like to see either Maine or Northern Colorado for the Potato Bowl. Both had Sept. 12th open as of Jan. 7 according to footballscoop.com. We have a connection already with Maine due to hockey, and Northern Colorado is always in need of money considering how poorly they draw. With the Texas Tech payday, it seems like we could afford to pay one fairly large guarantee, particularly when you figure the game should sell out.

Wayne Nelson confirms that Idaho State has bought out its contract, and won't be playing in Grand Forks in 2009: link

I'd like to see either Maine or Northern Colorado for the Potato Bowl. Both had Sept. 12th open as of Jan. 7 according to footballscoop.com. We have a connection already with Maine due to hockey, and Northern Colorado is always in need of money considering how poorly they draw. With the Texas Tech payday, it seems like we could afford to pay one fairly large guarantee, particularly when you figure the game should sell out.

I think the Black Bears would be great!!

According to the Northern Colorado website, they have San Diego scheduled for that day.

According to d2football.com the following have open dates on Sept 12:

Southern Oregon (NAIA)

Virginia St.

Incarnate Word

Incarnate Word now has two matching open dates with UND. The stars may be aligning for a showdown with them. :silly:

Liberty and Old Dominion are both available for multiple dates. ODU is a brand new program, but there would be a shread of name recognition with them. A home and home wouldn't be a terrible idea, as the Norfolk-Hampton Roads area is a pretty fertile recruiting ground. Liberty has a pretty strong women's basketball program, so perhaps you package a football game with a hoops home and home as well.

McFeeley is an idiot, don't fall for his propaganda. Our favorite team is the Fighting Sioux. If the name changed the team that we have come to know and love would essentially become extinct. Yeah, they would be replaced with another team but it wouldn't be the same. I will always be a fan of the Fighting Sioux, but without the name there would never be another Fighting Sioux game to watch in which to cheer our team on to victory. Being a Sioux fan after a nickname change would be like being a Winnipeg Jets or Houston Oilers fan now. The very existence of our teams is single-handedly tied to that name. Without the name it isn't the same team but rather a completely different team that at this point does not exist yet and hopefully never will. :lol:

The team isn't going anywhere. The Jets and the Oilers actually left their cities. Our favorite team is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. The University of North Dakota is not leaving Grand Forks. If the name is changed it is going to be a completely different situation from your examples.

How about this for an example. When a couple gets married the wife usually changes her last name. Does the husband love her any less because she has a different name? Of course not. Losing the Fighting Sioux nickname would be somewhat different, because people are really attached to the name besides being attached to the teams (I doubt that most guys are really attached to their girl friend's last name). But the athletes and the coaches and the other staff are not going to change even if the nickname changes. The only thing that would change would be what we call them as a group. That would be a major change for a lot of people. But it is not the same as losing the team(s).

The team isn't going anywhere. The Jets and the Oilers actually left their cities. Our favorite team is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. The University of North Dakota is not leaving Grand Forks. If the name is changed it is going to be a completely different situation from your examples.

How about this for an example. When a couple gets married the wife usually changes her last name. Does the husband love her any less because she has a different name? Of course not. Losing the Fighting Sioux nickname would be somewhat different, because people are really attached to the name besides being attached to the teams (I doubt that most guys are really attached to their girl friend's last name). But the athletes and the coaches and the other staff are not going to change even if the nickname changes. The only thing that would change would be what we call them as a group. That would be a major change for a lot of people. But it is not the same as losing the team(s).

I agree with you, but Dave's example shows just how strong a loss some people will feel if that name is gone. To some the name=the team.

To further illustrate that point, the Oilers NFL franchise had already moved from Houston and was known as the Oilers for two years in Tennessee prior to changing the name to Titans. Changing the name, not the move from Houston, is what essentially killed the very existence of the Oilers.

Geeze Dave...talk about deja vu. Can't you just post a link to the previous thread where you discussed this at length vs. hijacking this thread? I would but it takes too long to do when accessing this site by my phone.

So which of the four GNC schools (CWU, WOU, Humboldt, Dixie) are now on UND's schedule?

SUU and DSC tried to get this contest scheduled a few months prior but couldn't match up dates because Division II schools are allowed to start their seasons a week earlier than Division I FCS. However, when Western Washington dropped football on Jan. 8, DSC had two dates to fill. The Great Northwest Conference convened recently and remapped the league schedule, creating the opportunity for an SUU-DSC contest.

Southern Utah and Dixie St to play, finally

As far as I know, the Gophers still have FCS openings for 2012 and 2014 onward. UND probably has a decent shot for the 2012 opening if the nickname issue is permanently resolved before some other regional FCS school like SDSU or UNI grabs it.

SDSU is also on the schedule for 2015.