SiouxSports.com Forum

Garrett Clarke

Chuck Schwartz

Luke Beaverson - Blaise backed out after he verbally committed to UND.

I doubt this was as orchestrated as it appears. I am under the belief that CHL players do not get a "salary". Instead their room, board and education are fully paid for and they receive a stipend of some sort for other expenses.

Things could have changed or I could be wrong, but while they receive some kind of compensation it is not enough to support anyone other than the player.

Higher end players including first round picks like Clarke, receive more then a stipend. The Vancouver Giants offered Turris like $250,000 last season to play for them. I believe Crosby was receiving a portion of all ticket sales from Oceanic home games along with his salary.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Josh Siembeda upset with how Blais handled his situation as well?

The rumors that were created and spread via gpl (Beaverson and Fats Fornier as well as Siembeda) and uscho were likely far from the truth, but, to opponent fans, rumors become truths with no factual basis (right, Cardinal?)

Look no further then Luke Beaverson.

I expect that what comes with the verbal commit is an understanding that the player continues to progress and does what the coaches expect. If they fail to follow thru on that then the commitment can be pulled. I have no idea what happened in this case but that would be my speculation.

My big problem with the Clarke situation is that it appears to have been a designed plan all along by him and his parents. He used UND to get what he wanted and had no real intention of ever going there. The verbal was not given in good faith.

The rumors that were created and spread via gpl (Beaverson and Fats Fornier as well as Siembeda) and uscho were likely far from the truth, but, to opponent fans, rumors become truths with no factual basis (right, Cardinal?)

The standard practice there seems to be if you repeat something often enough, it does become fact.

The lying and manipulation is the thing that raises an eyebrow for me. It's not the fact that he changed his mind, it's the way the family, player, and Q team orchestrated this transaction through shady actions. I wonder how the teams ahead of his pick view this b.s. when obviously they were duped. Also, I'm curious to see what the QMJL will say publicly about this situation.

Blais comment from The Hockey News:

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/16518-Co...n-of-QMJHL.html

The lying and manipulation is the thing that raises an eyebrow for me. It's not the fact that he changed his mind, it's the way the family, player, and Q team orchestrated this transaction through shady actions. I wonder how the teams ahead of his pick view this b.s. when obviously they were duped. Also, I'm curious to see what the QMJL will say publicly about this situation.

Blais comment from The Hockey News:

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/16518-Co...n-of-QMJHL.html

They won't say anything about it because it happens every year. It's certainly not the first time and its certainly not the last.

Higher end players including first round picks like Clarke, receive more then a stipend. The Vancouver Giants offered Turris like $250,000 last season to play for them. I believe Crosby was receiving a portion of all ticket sales from Oceanic home games along with his salary.

I find this real hard to believe because I know alot of players who have played in the WHL. They have had their room and board paid and have received maybe $75.-$100 every 2 weeks but when they leave the Whl they get their tuition paid for every year they played hockey. So if they played for 3 years they get 3 years of tuition and books paid for at a Canadian University

Meh. The old man's an assclown. Time to move on.

I don't buy the old man's explanation either. There was the newspaper story a couple weeks ago where the old man was being obviously vague about what was going on, and the current stories reporting that discussions had been going on for months and months. I think there's more to this than the old man is letting on to.

I find this real hard to believe because I know alot of players who have played in the WHL. They have had their room and board paid and have received maybe $75.-$100 every 2 weeks but when they leave the Whl they get their tuition paid for every year they played hockey. So if they played for 3 years they get 3 years of tuition and books paid for at a Canadian University

I'm guessing you description fits 99% of the players. I'm guessing 1% get whatever they can negotiate.

This was my understanding as well. I know a few guys that played in the WHL and OHL and were paid around $500 per month (plus room, board and future college). I am pretty sure all players get their college paid for when they are done (not that it means much given Canadian Universities are more or less free for Canadian residents).

However, I would also believe high profile players make considerably more money. I did hear that Crosby was given a rake from the gate. I do not know if that is true or not.

I have a very hard time believing Turris was offered $250K. If that is the case things have changed drastically in the past 10 years.

I'm not negative on this whole thing.

It was a long shot Clarke would suit up anyways. Sometimes the long shots come true (Cichy and Toews) other times they do not (Mueller for UMN and now Clarke for UND).

Garret wanted a certain team in the Q league and if he didn't get that team and a decent package from that team, he'd go to UND and no one would get him in Major Juniors. In other words, he used the NCAA like a bargaining ploy and, in this case, it worked.

I don't like the comments of his father, but his father would (hopefully) be the last person to throw Garrett's decision under the bus.

As for Beaverson, Siembida, and Fournier.... Beaverson was asked to play one more year of juniors because, in Blais' opinion, Luke either wasn't developing well enough or could use the extra year or Blais felt that Luke wouldn't get much of an opportunity to play if he came in the originally agreed upon time. The last option isn't too honest, I agree, but to an extent Blais was thinking in the interests of his team and for Beaverson. Luke didn't like it, he walked.

Fournier came to UND and didn't pan out. Had off the ice issues and was given his walking papers. Rumor has it he did the same thing at UAA.

Siembida came in and did ok for a while and then started seriously choking. He was a liability to the team when on the ice. Off the ice, I don't know much about, but I think everyone knew that Josh's playing time was going to be reduced to ZERO with Brandt's play (and eventually would have seen JPar too). No one likes going from the #1 goaltender practically as a freshman to the #3 goaltender as a senior.

i agree with redwing here, clarke was a longshot, but at least we know very early on he is not coming now, so the coaches can plan for that. i don't know much about the three situations that redwing mentioned, other that what has been mentioned here, but all three seem to be very similar... they were not ready to play at this level, or were outcompeted for a spot. sports is a competition people, and it should be that way. we don't want players thinking they have a spot "reserved" because they have played before or were given a scholarship, that breeds laziness and apathy. we want the players competing at their highest level all year long, including practices to earn their spots. it makes them better come gametime, and instills the mindset successful athletes need to have. do you think jpl or oshie or duncan quit practicing hard because they knew they were starters? no, they just worked harder to get better, that is what makes them elite players. again, i don't have much info on these particular situations, but if they were not ready, or someone else outworked them to take their spot, tough !@$!, then they needed to work harder. one of the things i love about sioux hockey is that the entire team works their a$$es off to be the best they can, even the ones who don't suit up every game. look at radke and davidson this last season, or even martens when he wasn't playing all the time. they just practiced hard every week, and played hard when given the opportunity, that is the epitome of sioux hockey!

I don't buy the old man's explanation either. There was the newspaper story a couple weeks ago where the old man was being obviously vague about what was going on, and the current stories reporting that discussions had been going on for months and months. I think there's more to this than the old man is letting on to.

I agree, although his quotes are again vague; may well be true they didn't use the NCAA to leverage more money(which appears is all he says in the quote), however, it doesn't say he did or didn't use it to get to the team he wanted to play for; the old man is still being vague about the truth.

Since the Clarke's know the Lewiston coach, as he apparently coached the kid when he was younger, it's probably the one place the kid and his family wanted him to go, and the NCAA commitment was used as leverage to get there. The father's quotes never address that.

At any rate, he is only 15, and we have no idea if highly touted now means a good college player or not. We'll never know, and we can look forward to another Sioux recruit to fill that spot in the future.

As I said, the kid's 15.

This situation points out the two things bedeviling college hockey today as it attempts to continue to attract high-end talent:

1. Major Junior will always be a "threat" to college hockey. Canadian kids are hard-wired to go that route, and it is only a select few

My question to all of you is this. What are your thoughts on Jason Gregoire? Gregoire committed to Denver before backing out on his word and committing to North Dakota. At least Clarke is playing in a league that will never play North Dakota. Gregoire will play the team he committed to 4 times a season. (minimum)

I think it's extremely hypocritical that you guys (who are ripping on Clarke) are getting on this kids case but you give Gregoire a free pass.

My question to all of you is this. What are your thoughts on Jason Gregoire?

I think it's extremely hypocritical that you guys are getting on this kids case but you give Gregoire a free pass.

Good job grouping all Sioux fans together.

I don't hold a grudge against Clarke. It's his decision. I'm actually glad that he made his decision now, two full seasons before he was supposed to take the ice for the Sioux. That gives Hakstol plenty of time to find a dman for that vacated spot. While I would have loved to see him in a Sioux uni, the UND hockey program will go on...with or without him.

I have the same thoughts about Gregoire. It was his decision. I'm sure that some DU fans were upset by his change of plans, just as some Sioux fans are upset about Clarke. But those feelings will pass, and other recruits will take their places. That said, I will enjoy seeing Gregoire in a Sioux uniform much more than I would have seeing him in a DU uni. :)