SiouxSports.com Forum

Garrett Clarke

Chuck Schwartz

I know there is talk about Clarke in the prospective Sioux recruit page but he's not really a potential recruit he was a committed recruit and now he signs with Lewiston of the QMJHL who drafted him in the first round. LINK

Personally I feel the only reason why he committed to UND was a fall back option. With a commitment to a top notch NCAA school, Clarke could dictate where he went in the QMJHL draft and had a big bargaining chip money wise.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is talk about Clarke in the prospective Sioux recruit page but he's not really a potential recruit he was a committed recruit and now he signs with Lewiston of the QMJHL who drafted him in the first round. LINK

Personally I feel the only reason why he committed to UND was a fall back option. With a commitment to a top notch NCAA school, Clarke could dictate where he went in the QMJHL draft and had a big bargaining chip money wise.

Discussion is here:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...767&st=4580

He verbally committed to the Fargo Force and the Sioux. The commitment could just as well have dropped him in the major junior draft as those teams want assurances that a first round pick will show up. They may have had that with Clarke.

Discussion is here:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...767&st=4580

He verbally committed to the Fargo Force and the Sioux. The commitment could just as well have dropped him in the major junior draft as those teams want assurances that a first round pick will show up. They may have had that with Clarke.

That discussion is on page 230 of a thread im sure not everybody reads, and if losing a recruit of this caliber to the Q isn't worth its own thread in the offseason im not sure what would be.

Part of me wants to be mad and hate the kid for the rest of his career but the rational part of me realizes that this KID is only 15 years old.

It's possible committing here was only a ploy or bargaining chip he could use for leverage in the draft but that decision most certainly comes from parents and advisors, not from the mind of a 15 year old whose only concern is getting to the NHL.

Couturier sets new high for N.B.

Garrett Clarke, a defenceman from Moncton, was claimed sixth overall by the Lewiston MAINEiacs. He stated all along that he would play junior A in the U.S. for the next two seasons and then move on to suit up for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

That was just a smokescreen to make other teams shy away from him so that he would still be available come Lewiston's turn to pick. He admitted that he had been speaking to Lewiston for about six months and that he had committed to go there well in advance of the draft.

He didn't show up for the top prospects presentation on Friday. He said all along that he wouldn't be attending the draft, but then came out of hiding in the Zamboni tunnel when Lewiston announced his name.

"I know (Lewiston's) head scout (Roger Shannon) and their coach very well," he said. "I met with their owner Mark Just and got a feeling for the whole program and I thought it was the right place for me. I was also coached by Ed Harding in some summer camps so I have a good feeling for how he runs everything."

I just don't like these kind of shenanigans, whether it's from a "kid", hid dad or advisor. Your word should mean something.

Couturier sets new high for N.B.I just don't like these kind of shenanigans, whether it's from a "kid", hid dad or advisor. Your word should mean something.

Sounds like Blais and Hakstal should feel "used". Chuck was closer than I thought.

Also interesting that the top two picks played for Notre Dame of the SJHL last season. The Sioux have had lots of recruits from that program, Kaip being the most recent, I believe (many from the early 80's teams played there).

Regardless of his talent, the last thing this team needs is a some self-absorbed head case. His parents are probably pieces of "work" too. :)

I'd guess you're right; funny how his dad also announced he wouldn't be at the draft (since he was going the ushl/college route), but he appears from the Zamboni tunnel when his name gets called.

I'd love to see a flame out, and him in a Manitoba Bisons uni playing against the Sioiux in the annual warm up game.

I am as disappointed as the next guy, but you have to remember that this kid is just 15 and making decisions that are way above his maturity level. Even if it is just him being fickle, its his life and his choice. There is no need to rag on a 15 year old kid and hope that he flops. That is just pathetic. Maybe his situation changed, what if his family hit hard times and they needed him to play in the Q to make money for the family.........

Fact of the matter is that only a select few know all the details and he only backed out of a verbal commitment, which is a commitment, but not as official and binding and a written. He had every right to do what he thought was best for him and his family. UND will find a recruit to replace him and will be fine. UND's program is solid and while it may lose a recruit here and there, they will also snag one from time to time as well.

I wish Clarke all the best and while its sad he won't be in Fargo and at UND, may he have a long and productive hockey career. Now give the kid a break!

I am as disappointed as the next guy, but you have to remember that this kid is just 15 and making decisions that are way above his maturity level. Even if it is just him being fickle, its his life and his choice. There is no need to rag on a 15 year old kid and hope that he flops. That is just pathetic. Maybe his situation changed, what if his family hit hard times and they needed him to play in the Q to make money for the family.........

Fact of the matter is that only a select few know all the details and he only backed out of a verbal commitment, which is a commitment, but not as official and binding and a written. He had every right to do what he thought was best for him and his family. UND will find a recruit to replace him and will be fine. UND's program is solid and while it may lose a recruit here and there, they will also snag one from time to time as well.

I wish Clarke all the best and while its sad he won't be in Fargo and at UND, may he have a long and productive hockey career. Now give the kid a break!

No problem with a kid changing his mind, but this does not appear to be the case; the ushl/college commitment was a simple sham orchestrated by the father, it would appear.

I don't have a solution but the environment sort of encourages this sort of thing. It appears obvious the Clarke's were using Fargo and the Sioux for their own purposes, which is pretty crappy for the mature individuals (parents, advisor/agent) who should handle themselves in a more up front manner. But as the NCAA route offers these kids some leverage in dealing with the MJ draft we can only expect some will use it to their fullest advantage.

I can't fault a 15 year old kid for this. I couldn't make these decisions at 20. But the certainly the parents and the advisor/agent.....glad not to know them personally.

I think you guys are over reacting about this Clarke situation a little bit. It's not like it's the first time in the world that a kid has backed out of a verbal commitment. It happens every season whether it comes in a form of Clarke who clearly used his ncaa commitment as a bargaining chip to chose which QMJHL team he wanted to go to, or a kid simply backing out to choose another school.

In other sports this happens multiple, multiple times each season. I would expect this to start happening more and more now that guys like Lucia have came out and said that they think the gentleman's agreement in not poaching recruits is a bad rule.

The kid was 15 years old he wouldn't have been on campus for 3 years so it's not like 2 months before he comes in he decides to not come and the Sioux are scrambling for a replacement. They have plenty of time to find a capable replacement. In 2 months no one will even remember this kid. It will never have an effect on North Dakota hockey 1 iota.

I think you guys are over reacting about this Clarke situation a little bit. It's not like it's the first time in the world that a kid has backed out of a verbal commitment. It happens every season whether it comes in a form of Clarke who clearly used his ncaa commitment as a bargaining chip to chose which QMJHL team he wanted to go to, or a kid simply backing out to choose another school.

In other sports this happens multiple, multiple times each season. I would expect this to start happening more and more now that guys like Lucia have came out and said that they think the gentleman's agreement in not poaching recruits is a bad rule.

The kid was 15 years old he wouldn't have been on campus for 3 years so it's not like 2 months before he comes in he decides to not come and the Sioux are scrambling for a replacement. They have plenty of time to find a capable replacement. In 2 months no one will even remember this kid. It will never have an effect on North Dakota hockey 1 iota.

Agreed, Chuck, as far as a 15 year old kid goes. I do question the integrity of the parent, however.

Agreed, Chuck, as far as a 15 year old kid goes. I do question the integrity of the parent, however.

I do also, to a certain extent but how is this any different then an adult who has a job at one place, gets an offer for more money at another place and uses that as leverage to get more money at their current job? It happens all the time. Is it shady? Yeah it is but thus is life, and it happens everywhere.

It doesn't bother me that he changed his mind, that happens. But what does is the whole act of this thing-like showing up in the Zamboni tunnel. that is what is pathetic. We have benefitied from this in the past and have been bitten by it, it's just part of the process. this was just a verbal commitment afterall by a 15 year old kid and if you put the two together this will probably happen more often than not. that's why I don't hold my breath on these verbal commitments by 14,15,16 year old kids.

Has Coach Hak and/or Blais ever broken there word?

Some might say Blais did a time or two.

Clarke's antics certainly appear to be manipulative, and perhaps in bad faith.

But, as several others have already pointed out, he's a 15-year-old kid. 'Nuff said.

Some might say Blais did a time or two.

Clarke's antics certainly appear to be manipulative, and perhaps in bad faith.

But, as several others have already pointed out, he's a 15-year-old kid. 'Nuff said.

just for my own curiosity when might have Blais backed out on his word?

this was just a verbal commitment afterall by a 15 year old kid and if you put the two together this will probably happen more often than not. that's why I don't hold my breath on these verbal commitments by 14,15,16 year old kids.

Which is why I again question the integrity of his parents and/or "advisors". Anyway, the QMJHL can deal with his showboating.

So he's a liar, a conniver, and a sneak.

He's sly, devious, cunning, and not to be trusted.

And all at age 15.

They can have him.

Agree completely.

I have to believe his parents are behind this manipulation. With parents like this I would guess the kid will turn out no better. The fact that he secretly comes out of the tunnel speaks volumes to the character of the family.

just for my own curiosity when might have Blais backed out on his word?

Luke Beaverson - Blaise backed out after he verbally committed to UND.

I doubt this was as orchestrated as it appears. I am under the belief that CHL players do not get a "salary". Instead their room, board and education are fully paid for and they receive a stipend of some sort for other expenses.

Things could have changed or I could be wrong, but while they receive some kind of compensation it is not enough to support anyone other than the player.

what supposedly happened there? I was out of the area at the time and never heard of it.

Beaverson

From what the story says, he was asked to play juniors for a third year and didn't want to. I don't have much knowledge of what went on behind the scenes though.