SiouxSports.com Forum

It's time for a coaching change

egfhosejockey

BC only has 2 national titles (so far...Sat night withholding) and yet they've been to the FF 28 times (SIX MORE THAN THE SIOUX!!).

BC has 28 NCAA tournament appearances, not Frozen Four appearances. That number is 20.

Six times in the past ten years, they have played for the national title. A loss Saturday would give Jerry York's Eagles a 1-5 mark in championship games. Hey, BleedSiouxGreen, fire Jerry York if BC loses Saturday night?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not going to fire Hak. It is silly to think so. I think of the four teams that went to the Frozen Four this was the least talented team

I wish we could have Oshie, Duncan and Chorney for one more season. I could see them winning it.

What's really needed is a public apology to the fans.

From someone who was at the game, it was beyond pathetic. It is one thing to lose, it is quite another to get here and not even play. I mean, come on. There is not one thing the Sioux did well in this game. I haven't been to game where the Sioux were this excrutiatingly awful since 1982 when the Badgers laid a 9-0 bitch slapping on us in the 1st game of the 2-game total goal series of the playoffs.

It is not a moral victory to get here and then suck beyond belief on the national stage. Only one player came to play and that was TJ. All BC had to do was put three guys on him everytime he touched the puck. The rest of the team just plain sucked, and they looked scared. I don't mean nervous either, they looked scared. They got out hustled and outhit by a team that on average can barely see over the steering wheel of an average mid-size American made sedan.

The fans did their part. We were here, we were pumped up, and we let the team know that this was going to be the REA west. And its not a cheap or easy venture to get down here. People came down without tickets and paid handsomely to get in. But here we were, and there was a lot of us. It was a freaking sea of green and white. There was energy in the building. It was a powder keg ready to blow. Instead, we had to endure that painful P.O.S. But like the fans we are, we stayed to the bitter end and even clapped when we scored; even though we should have just sat there silent.

We did our part, it's too bad the boys couldn't at least have tried to do theirs.

Certainly can't be talking about firing a guy who gets you 2 games from the prize year after year. But I really would like to know what and how he prepares the team for the Frozen Four..and compare and contrast that to BC, or heck, even Notre Dame tonight.

What is being said in the locker room before the game? Hak has always seemed (to me at least) to be wound pretty tight. Taking over a program like UND, from a highly successful Blais, at such a young age will probably wind anyone pretty tight..but does anyone think it rubs off on the team at the wrong time? How can a team come out and play like that?

And talk about slow. Yeesh. Notre Dame would have run circles around us and Michigan would have looked like yellow blurs going by. That's speed.

BC has 28 NCAA tournament appearances, not Frozen Four appearances. That number is 20.

Six times in the past ten years, they have played for the national title. A loss Saturday would give Jerry York's Eagles a 1-5 mark in championship games. Hey, BleedSiouxGreen, fire Jerry York if BC loses Saturday night?

Another person that doesnt get what I am saying. But I guess I am not surprised. Jerry York has not lost to the same team in the same game 3 years in a row. It would be different if we actually lost to someone different. But somehow we cant figure out how to beat 1 team year after year.

The fans did their part. We were here, we were pumped up, and we let the team know that this was going to be the REA west. And its not a cheap or easy venture to get down here. People came down without tickets and paid handsomely to get in. But here we were, and there was a lot of us. It was a freaking sea of green and white. There was energy in the building. It was a powder keg ready to blow. Instead, we had to endure that painful P.O.S. But like the fans we are, we stayed to the bitter end and even clapped when we scored; even though we should have just sat there silent.

We did our part, it's too bad the boys couldn't at least have tried to do theirs.

I'd have to agree. The fans were out in droves. Brooklyn's was insane 3 hours before the game. Even the expensive suites pretty much were dominated by Sioux fans. There was some serious support out there.

Sometimes it's tough to remember these are a bunch of not much more than kids, but you'd think they'd demand more out of themselves.

Another person that doesnt get what I am saying. But I guess I am not surprised. Jerry York has not lost to the same team in the same game 3 years in a row. It would be different if we actually lost to someone different. But somehow we cant figure out how to beat 1 team year after year.

Are you still complaining? Aren't you the moron that started this thread? Dude, I am just as upset and disappointed as any other fan, but to say that we need a coaching change? Put down whatever you are holding, before you hurt somebody. Think about what you just said in your last statement. 1 TEAM! Name any other team in the NCAA that Hakstol's Sioux teams have played and NOT beaten at least once? Are there any? I can't think of one, honestly. That says that the Sioux do pretty well, all in all. It also means that Jerry York just seems to know how to beat our team. And according to a quote I read that was from him, "it's only a matter of time until Dave brings that trophy back to Grand Forks."

You are upset with the fact that our team lost, we get it. Now, get OVER it!

Are you still complaining? Aren't you the moron that started this thread? Dude, I am just as upset and disappointed as any other fan, but to say that we need a coaching change? Put down whatever you are holding, before you hurt somebody. Think about what you just said in your last statement. 1 TEAM! Name any other team in the NCAA that Hakstol's Sioux teams have played and NOT beaten at least once? Are there any? I can't think of one, honestly. That says that the Sioux do pretty well, all in all. It also means that Jerry York just seems to know how to beat our team. And according to a quote I read that was from him, "it's only a matter of time until Dave brings that trophy back to Grand Forks."

You are the moron. I little while back I stated that I had cooled down and I was better. And, why dont you check yourself. I did not start this thread. Idiot

That was funny and I was thinking of a great slamb for this guys too but I would probably get suspended.

I agree, all season long our team won games it shouldn't have, I think the Sioux might have over achieved.

Just a thought.

I think Hakstol is going to lead a team to an NCAA title soon, the recruits coming in on paper measure up against the

media's darlings (Michigan, Miami, Minnesota, B.C.) as well as the other top teams in college hockey. I think we should take a breath and let it sink in. Hockey is a game folks and I am upset but I have moved on. I will still go next year. Tomorrow is another day, there will be more cold beer soon.

That was funny and I was thinking of a great slamb for this guys too but I would probably get suspended.

I agree, all season long our team won games it shouldn't have, I think the Sioux might have over achieved.

Just a thought.

I think Hakstol is going to lead a team to an NCAA title soon, the recruits coming in on paper measure up against the

media's darlings (Michigan, Miami, Minnesota, B.C.) as well as the other top teams in college hockey. I think we should take a breath and let it sink in. Hockey is a game folks and I am upset but I have moved on. I will still go next year. Tomorrow is another day, there will be more cold beer soon.

Hey man, like I said, I just needed some cool down time. If you ask me, you shouldn't be slamming any Sioux fan, but thats just me.

My apologies then. I quoted the wrong person, entirely. Sorry about that.

Its cool! I just think that every fan is different in the way they handle a loss. For some, I think it takes a while longer than others. But in the end, when the dust settles, I think everyone would agree that Hakstol shouldnt be fired and this was a silly thread. And we who can get over a loss without throwing someoneunder the bus right away need to be patient with everyone else. Because in a few months from now, we will all be at the Ralph rooting for another great team! And we will all Bleed Sioux Green!!!

I don't think a coaching change is in line but that was the worst, most uninspired effort I have seen from a Sioux team in such a big game. Very disappointing but life goes on.

It's obvious BC has UND figured out....they had a great game plan and executed it. What was UND's game plan? Hard to tell, since we were out of it so early. Would a time out after the second (or third) goal have helped? A goalie change? Almost worked for Miichigan...

I hate to say this, but our fan base has changed over the years. It used to be about hanging banners in REA (first the old one, now the new one). Now it's about having a bunch of former players in the NHL and "just getting there". We have been to six of the last nine Frozen Fours and have one championship (2000) to show for it. That used to be unacceptable in our fan base. Now it's just par for the course and no one seems to notice anymore. I'll still support this team no matter what; it's just maddening to have to experience this year after year.

A true fan is always loyal, but critical when it's warranted.

True, Hakstol doesn't deserve all the blame, but he gets paid the big bucks to bring home championships, so fans have a right to vent after the past 4 seasons. If the Sioux, say, go to the FF two years in a row & play hard-fought games, but lose in OT or have a bad bounce both games, I would probably attribute it to destiny or some other abstract excuse. But when they go 0-4 & don't really challenge in any of those years, I tend to think it's more of a systemic problem with some blame going to the coaching staff. Four consecutive FFs is quite a feat, but the goal of every season is to go all the way & correct any deficiencies when it's not attained.

We played them even earlier in the year, & get embarrassed in the semis. Did they become NHL All-Stars over the past 6 months or did they perhaps have a better strategy by scouting our weaknesses more efficiently than we did theirs? Were their players better conditioned? Did they have a better system? Was their emphasis on speed & a quick transition game the keys (of which the coach is responsible for recruiting speedy players)? Were bad line-pairings the reason (putting the big Finley in an offensive-zone face-off, knowing that a quick Gerbe-led transition the other way would make it difficult for him to catch up)? If any of these reasons apply to this game then, yes, part of the blame falls on the coaching staff. These are just kids &, compared to a professional, need the right guidance at the right times for the best results.

Sports aren't the only venues in which there are losers. Businesses go under & lose to competition that is more dynamic & forward-thinking. There is no "Oh well, thanks for the memories." CEOs get canned when results aren't achieved. Generals get demoted if they don't prove their cunning on the battlefield. Maybe not the best of examples, but my point stands that Hakstol needs to take some responsibility for the recent failures, like any good leader would. Something is causing the Sioux to perpetually lose year after year in big games, & it ain't all the players' faults. Hopefully Hakstol & his braintrust will isolate a couple of the not-so-glaring aspects & fix them for added championships. Some coaches (Belichick, Bowman, Lombardi to name a few) are destined for greatness because they expect it & instill this winning spirit in their players. Does Hakstol get the most out of his players & EXPECT championships year after year? I have no idea but any great coach would share this mindset, I believe.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but a Sioux hockey fan should never accept mediocrity & should demand solutions when goals aren't met year after year. Complacency among the fan base doesn't jive with a winning program. It doesn't matter what York's or Lucia's track-record is, it only matters what Hakstol's is & the benchmark he sets for the Sioux team. Just my .02 from waaay out west in cowboy country....

A true fan is always loyal, but critical when it's warranted.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but a Sioux hockey fan should never accept mediocrity & should demand solutions when goals aren't met year after year. Complacency among the fan base doesn't jive with a winning program. It doesn't matter what York's or Lucia's track-record is, it only matters what Hakstol's is & the benchmark he sets for the Sioux team. Just my .02 from waaay out west in cowboy country....

I agree with you 100% as a part of the younger generation of Sioux fans, I am sick of losing in the semi's. It has been an amazing ride to get here, but on the same end of things we need to keep winning when we get here.

4 straight frozen 4's and no banners = Woog

Remember the days in which we were the team buzzing the nets and hanging 6 on someone. I greatly miss the Blais style teams. We have many players who don't carry their weight offensively. Something needs to change.

This team was the worst prepared frozen 4 team I have ever seen.

4 straight frozen 4's and no banners = Woog

Remember the days in which we were the team buzzing the nets and hanging 6 on someone. I greatly miss the Blais style teams. We have many players who don't carry their weight offensively. Something needs to change.

This team was the worst prepared frozen 4 team I have ever seen.

Hey I'm as upset as anyone else but this BC team was really really good. Hak cannot be completely to blame for their outstanding play. IN HAK WE TRUST!!

From someone who was at the game, it was beyond pathetic. It is one thing to lose, it is quite another to get here and not even play. I mean, come on. There is not one thing the Sioux did well in this game. I haven't been to game where the Sioux were this excrutiatingly awful since 1982 when the Badgers laid a 9-0 bitch slapping on us in the 1st game of the 2-game total goal series of the playoffs.

It is not a moral victory to get here and then suck beyond belief on the national stage. Only one player came to play and that was TJ. All BC had to do was put three guys on him everytime he touched the puck. The rest of the team just plain sucked, and they looked scared. I don't mean nervous either, they looked scared. They got out hustled and outhit by a team that on average can barely see over the steering wheel of an average mid-size American made sedan.

Sitting there watching the game was embarrassing!! For the Sioux to come out in the second period with absolutely no life was pathetic. You want to see a team pack it in, watch your DVR or TiVo because it won't be on ESPN Classic. The Sioux fans support was tremendous. To totally lay an egg by a team that talked about being on a misssion is inexcusable! To lose is one thing but to be taken to the woodshed because you can't or won't strap it on is another. First time I have seen a Hak coached team up and quit!!

Unfortunately, or not, I was not able to see the game live, (thanks American Airlines :D ) but from what I saw later, our guys really got handled from the first puck drop, and let themselves get handled until the final horn. I don't recall seeing a Sioux team playing in FF game basically forget to show up. I'm not ready to give up on Hakstol yet, but this "one and done" shiat is getting pretty old, regardless of what fans of other programs may expect of their own teams. ???

Unfortunately, or not, I was not able to see the game live, (thanks American Airlines :D ) but from what I saw later, our guys really got handled from the first puck drop, and let themselves get handled until the final horn. I don't recall seeing a Sioux team playing in FF game basically forget to show up. I'm not ready to give up on Hakstol yet, but this "one and done" shiat is getting pretty old, regardless of what fans of other programs may expect of their own teams. ???

I don't recall a game when I saw more UND players with there eyes looking up at the rafters because they were on their backs. First time I've seen Oshie get totally knocked around for a whole game. BC out-hit and physically out played us! Wouldn't have predicted that. But did think we'd lose by 5 goals either!