SiouxSports.com Forum

It's time for a coaching change

egfhosejockey

That's all you needed to say. You should be happy to have the staff you do. Shut up and enjoy the program you are lucky enough to put on the ice year after year. Un F'in believable. Nice season guys.

Good call, Gopherguy33. Some of these posts are jaw-dropping.

Notre Dame: 1 Frozen Four appearance in 40 years.

North Dakota: 4 straight.

Anything can happen when it is one-and-done. And it usually does. Just ask Michigan.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with Dave. I do think that he could use a top-end assistant like Berry back, although we did lead the nation in team defense.

You win some, you lose some. If its a 7 game series, who knows the outcome.

BC did not handle us from the drop of the puck. They handled us from halfway through the first period on.

You know, its a game of inches and bounces some times. If Genoway's pipe shot goes in, we've got a 2-1 game, and everything changes.

Notre Dame: 1 Frozen Four appearance in 40 years.

North Dakota: 4 straight.

Anything can happen when it is one-and-done. And it usually does. Just ask Michigan.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the Sioux, but this thread is ridiculous. Get a grip here folks!

4 FF's....... :D

Stay away from the kool aid, and sharp objects for a little bit, and everything will be fine. When you are back in the tourney next year, you will not be calling for your coaches head.

Can we finally now retire the Holy Cross jerseys? Please? My Gopher friends are salivating right now. :D

Without question, that BC team is fantastic. I love their offensive explosiveness and intensity. If they don't win the title this year, it will be a damn shame.

The Sioux faithful who sat at home and continue to excuse the poor play or celebrate the FF "appearance" should listen to those who paid the big bucks and went to Denver to experience that stinker in real time. I would like to hear from those who went to all the post season venues this year: REA, Xcel, Kohl, and Poopsi, er, Pepsi. Overall, were you pleased with the effort you paid time and money for? I have to say that after going to the X for the DU-UND game in which the Sioux equaled the level of apathy on display yesterday, I decided to make no further travel plans. The escape out of Madison was only a stay of execution for a team that played barely two periods of quality hockey in two games. Bandwagon fan? OK, whatever you need to help you sleep at night, I guess. I love the Sioux, and always will. Doesn't mean I can't get disgusted with what I see.

I'm hopeful that this embarrassment, and yes, it was an embarrassment far eclipsing the Gopher loss to HC, is a teachable moment for the Sioux. I support a critical look at all aspects of the program, because being satisfied with "appearances" is NOT what the Fighting Sioux are all about. I'm convinced Dave Hakstol would agree with that statement. He is old school Sioux, tough as nails, and no doubt ready to face the music head on, take accountability rather than defending the "appearences" record. If the program cannot withstand strong criticism for uninspired play, then it is doomed to mediocrity.

taz

Agreed. I am not a fan of the Sioux, but this thread is ridiculous. Get a grip here folks!

4 FF's....... :D

Stay away from the kool aid, and sharp objects for a little bit, and everything will be fine. When you are back in the tourney next year, you will not be calling for your coaches head.

Maybe getting to 4 Frozen Fours is good enough for the gophers, but not Sioux fans. We measure success by two things, regular season championships and NCAA titles. He has yet to net either one in his four years. Doug W. Hakstol will have his work cut out for him next year.

The team was not ready to play yesterday! We were outplayed and outcoached.

Hey man, like I said, I just needed some cool down time. If you ask me, you shouldn't be slamming any Sioux fan, but thats just me.

I am pretty sure I didn't slamb any Sioux fans last night, I will stay the Fire Hak and Finley is a ________ are stupid though.

What's really needed is a public apology to the fans.

We [the fans] did our part, it's too bad the boys couldn't at least have tried to do theirs.

Mafiaman - I'll second your "Wow"

What a ridiculous notion that the team needs to make a public apology. I personally would like to thank them for a great season. You can't win them all. I understand everyone is disappointed, but I'm fairly confident no fan is more disappointed than the actual players or coaching staff themselves. Let's face it, nobody shows up to a game to lose, but everyone knows only one team can win. I feel bad that it wasn't the Fighting Sioux, I wanted them to win just like we all did. But to go as far as saying they owe me or any fan an apology, absurd.

What I would like to honestly believe is that a team plays together to win, however there are no guarantees in any game. What I already know is that a team doesn't owe anyone an apology for losing, no matter how much the fans spent on tickets or what they went through to travel to get to the game.

Thanks for a great season Fighting Sioux. I can't wait for next season to start cheering again.

Maybe getting to 4 Frozen Fours is good enough for the gophers, but not Sioux fans. We measure success by two things, regular season championships and NCAA titles. He has yet to net either one in his four years. Doug W. Hakstol will have his work cut out for him next year.

The team was not ready to play yesterday! We were outplayed and outcoached.

You people expecting nothing less than the national championship each and every season are out of your freaking minds. I realize that that's the goal, but, cmon, the post-season takes some incredible skill as well as luck.

In my mind, the two most dominating Sioux teams of recent memory, 1998 and 1999, didn't even make the Frozen Four! I think you could say the same thing about the 2004 Sioux as well. It's part of the game.

Had the Sioux lost a 6-5 heartbreaker in triple overtime last night, would this "coaching thread" even exist?

I don't think Hak should be fired, but as I said in another thread, he could be the Denny Green of college hockey.

there are some coaches who just can;t ever seem to get it done. Sure, there are always reasons, but other coaches find ways to get around and overcome those reasons. Hak has not done that yet.

He's got a big old monkey on his back now, that only makes things harder.

not even close to the level of the Holy Cross game.

I agree, because we actually made the Frozen Four. I think our team peaked too fast this season and that is why the team needs to play balanced all season long.

Can we finally now retire the Holy Cross jerseys? Please? My Gopher friends are salivating right now. :D

Without question, that BC team is fantastic. I love their offensive explosiveness and intensity. If they don't win the title this year, it will be a damn shame.

The Sioux faithful who sat at home and continue to excuse the poor play or celebrate the FF "appearance" should listen to those who paid the big bucks and went to Denver to experience that stinker in real time. I would like to hear from those who went to all the post season venues this year: REA, Xcel, Kohl, and Poopsi, er, Pepsi. Overall, were you pleased with the effort you paid time and money for? I have to say that after going to the X for the DU-UND game in which the Sioux equaled the level of apathy on display yesterday, I decided to make no further travel plans. The escape out of Madison was only a stay of execution for a team that played barely two periods of quality hockey in two games. Bandwagon fan? OK, whatever you need to help you sleep at night, I guess. I love the Sioux, and always will. Doesn't mean I can't get disgusted with what I see.

I'm hopeful that this embarrassment, and yes, it was an embarrassment far eclipsing the Gopher loss to HC, is a teachable moment for the Sioux. I support a critical look at all aspects of the program, because being satisfied with "appearances" is NOT what the Fighting Sioux are all about. I'm convinced Dave Hakstol would agree with that statement. He is old school Sioux, tough as nails, and no doubt ready to face the music head on, take accountability rather than defending the "appearences" record. If the program cannot withstand strong criticism for uninspired play, then it is doomed to mediocrity.

taz

Sorry, but just because fans buy tickets and travel to games does not guarantee the team performs to their expectations or even wins. That's the chance you take. If you don't want to invest the time and money because you feel you might be disappointed, then don't. It's as simple as that. Blaming the team for your travel time and investment is very, very lame at best. Someone please close all of these stupid threads before !@#$ gets out of hand.

Maybe getting to 4 Frozen Fours is good enough for the gophers, but not Sioux fans.

:D

I think you missed his point, which was that while going 0 for 4 is below expectations for the UND program, is it enough reason to fire Hak? You almost seem to be approaching this subject from a sense of entitlement, which if a Gopher fan demonstrated such an attitude he'd be accused of being arrogant. ???

MafiaMan, who or what are you trying to protect here? Is the UND coaching staff so fragile that any criticism is devastating? I heard much worse from my junior high basketball coach for cripes sake. I'm sure Hakstol could care less what's written here, or if he did he'd probably be in agreement. The Sioux, with NHL caliber talent, stunk up the joint yesterday and lots of fans want to know why. I don't see this as being anything other than passionate fans expressing viewpoints. Isn't that what sports is all about?

The Sioux, with NHL caliber talent, stunk up the joint yesterday and lots of fans want to know why. I don't see this as being anything other than passionate fans expressing viewpoints. Isn't that what sports is all about?

I agree. However, let's be honest, this team was often "phoning it in" for a good part of the tail-end of the season, regardless of the W-L-T record, and it finally caught them when it mattered the most. Now, Finley, Oshie, Duncan, et al. can sign and we see how the next crop does.

/fore! :D???

I agree, because we actually made the Frozen Four. I think our team peaked too fast this season and that is why the team needs to play balanced all season long.

Being upset by a number 4 seed in the first round, if you look at the year before the HC game (Bemidji) and after( UNH- #4 Notre Dame in Finals) is not so unbelievable. Embarrassing, yes. Getting handed your shorts and not even showing up IN THE FROZEN FOUR is just as, if not more embarrassing. Not try trolling here..But, with all the "Pride" in Sioux hockey that all these players are supposed to have...explain last night. Was that pride in the name on the front? Bottom line is all teams at all levels, lay eggs once in a while. Be glad you didn't set our allegiance with Wayne State or Huntsville. For all the HC jerseys and all the sophomoric comments, you will hear the 6>1 and BC jerseys and chants etc...its all juvenile. Cheer for YOUR team and enjoy rival losses sure. To buy a HC jersey or BC jersey, to bring up a game from 3,4..11 years ago is dumb. The team that was on the ice last night should be embarrassed and I am sure they are. Fans will hold this over your head until next years Final Four than its over.

Sorry, but just because fans buy tickets and travel to games does not guarantee the team performs to their expectations or even wins. That's the chance you take. If you don't want to invest the time and money because you feel you might be disappointed, then don't. It's as simple as that. Blaming the team for your travel time and investment is very, very lame at best. Someone please close all of these stupid threads before !@#$ gets out of hand.

Heh, heh. Nice try, triouxper. You are spinning my point. Of course there are no "guarantees". Sheesh. Then, you proceed to instruct me to take action that I already stated I did. What can I learn from that?

Bottom line, if you are happy with what you saw yesterday, good for you. Some folks aren't. Some folks spend a ton of dough on regular season and post season Fighting Sioux events and may wish to express displeasure when they believe the product on the ice is not commensurate with the ticket price (TJ Oshie excepted of course). That's all. Why is this such a crime? Taboo? Most of us are tougher on our kids. Heck, I've even heard folks complain about the sermons/homilies at church and then drop their donations accordingly. We're talking God here! This is just sports.

:D

taz says: bitch all you want, doesn't mean you don't love 'em

Have you ever been in a situation where all you want in the entire world is a do over? Let's start again? The team was shell-shocked. They were out of it before they ever even got in it. It is hard to keep playing when you know its already over. 1 goal-no big deal, 2 goals-we can do it, 3 goals-its been done, 4 goals-goodnight. As much pride and love you have for a game, your teammates and the program, its hard to suck it up. Think about this, however, despite being outplayed by BC, it was a 2-1 game if you throw out that horrible first period.

MafiaMan, who or what are you trying to protect here? Is the UND coaching staff so fragile that any criticism is devastating? I heard much worse from my junior high basketball coach for cripes sake. I'm sure Hakstol could care less what's written here, or if he did he'd probably be in agreement. The Sioux, with NHL caliber talent, stunk up the joint yesterday and lots of fans want to know why. I don't see this as being anything other than passionate fans expressing viewpoints. Isn't that what sports is all about?

Watch the post-game press conference if you want a personal explanation, Taz Boy. Maybe you can write Dave Hakstol an e-mail and demand an answer.

NHL caliber talent doesn't guarantee anything.

Those of you with the balls to say that Joe Finley sucks, I dare you to meet him at the airport and tell him that in person and explain what he was doing on the first goal. What a bunch of keyboard muscleheads some of the folks on this board are. Get a grip!

Have you ever been in a situation where all you want in the entire world is a do over? Let's start again? The team was shell-shocked. They were out of it before they ever even got in it. It is hard to keep playing when you know its already over. 1 goal-no big deal, 2 goals-we can do it, 3 goals-its been done, 4 goals-goodnight. As much pride and love you have for a game, your teammates and the program, its hard to suck it up. Think about this, however, despite being outplayed by BC, it was a 2-1 game if you throw out that horrible first period.

If you throw out the 3rd period it is a 6-0 game. So what's your point? Sad thing is that BC took their foot off the pedal for the entire 3rd period or the game could have been 8-0 or worse.

Watch the post-game press conference if you want a personal explanation, Taz Boy. Maybe you can write Dave Hakstol an e-mail and demand an answer.

Those of you with the balls to say that Joe Finley sucks, I dare you to meet him at the airport and tell him that in person and explain what he was doing on the first goal. What a bunch of keyboard muscleheads some of the folks on this board are. Get a grip!

Yeah I agree, because we all know how many people Finley beat up during this 3 years at UND.....oh wait a second, my bad. Biggest guy on the team goes out with zero legit fights, unless you count fights he tries to start after the game is already over.

Yeah I agree, because we all know how many people Finley beat up during this 3 years at UND.....oh wait a second, my bad. Biggest guy on the team goes out with zero legit fights, unless you count fights he tries to start after the game is already over.

Seriously, my point is that some so-called "fans" of this team who either never learned to skate themselves or didn't make the cut out of mini-mites are some of the biggest critics. Go put on a jock, give Hakstol a call, and tell him you'll show the boys how its really done at the first practice next season. Then post on the message board your results.

Wow, I didn't take the time to read the entire thread, but just wow. I guess it's a measure of the programs overall success when fans want to fire a coach for leading the team deep into the playoffs year after year. For whatever reason the team wasn't ready to play, if you watched the pregame show BC followed their game plan and executed perfectly. I would of like to see Hakstol make some changes in the first period when things were getting out of hand, I think he should of taken his timeout after the third goal to try and regain some control and I wouldn't have been unhappy with him if he had put Walski in after the fourth goal. Would it have been an upgrade in net, almost certainly not, but maybe it could been a wake-up call for the rest of the team, at that point there was little to lose. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and everything I know about hockey I've learned from watching the game. Firing Hakstol is ridiculous, but I think he needs to take a long hard look at how he prepares his team in the playoffs, something is definitely amiss.

As tough as watching the game yesterday was, now comes the really painful part. Checking "Early Departure" threads and NHL transaction reports and watching favorite players become UND Alumni.