SiouxSports.com Forum

It's time for a coaching change

egfhosejockey

This pretty much sums everything up? Did Hak inherit his teams? Hmmmm???

Hak inherited the team that had just lost Zach and Bo to the pros after losing 1-0 in CC to Denver. There were alot of good players left from Blais but Hak & Co added some very nice players (Toews, Oshie, Duncan, etc..).

BD

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please! :D

Just join in and fry the guy. He's going to go pro anyways and it will make you feel better!

(dripping sarcasm, siouxnami. Seriously, I agree with you 100%)

Yes he will go pro. I think he really came around. But mark my word, he will never make it past the 3rd d line with the speed of the NHL. I dont know how wwe didnt see that coming against BC.

Hak inherited the team that had just lost Zach and Bo to the pros after losing 1-0 in CC to Denver. There were alot of good players left from Blais but Hak & Co added some very nice players (Toews, Oshie, Duncan, etc..).

BD

A player is actually recruited a lot before they actually sign a letter of intent buddy

Yes. Until tonight I would disagree. But are you kidding me? Losing to the same team 3 years in row in the same game! Unecceptable! Not only did we get beat, we were imbarrased! You would think that the coach would have the guys a little better prepared than this. The point is that if you were an NHL coach and the same thing happened to your team, you can bet your a$$ that you lost your job. Well, I think the same should be the same for a team that has been in the Frozen Four 4 years in a row as a top team! Time for a coaching change! People say he is 4-0 to the Frozen Four, but the way I view it, he is 0-4 with teams that are supposed to win it.

A. Learn to spell.

B. Understand that 4 appearances in the FF doesn't guarantee a single win.

C. York has lost FF games to 3 different teams in 3 years. Think BC is considering firing him?

D. NHL plays best of 7 series in the playoffs for a REASON. THIS is the REASON.

E. Agreed with you, York brought players better prepared to exploit the other teams weakness. Again.

F. Again, consider that without getting TO the FF, the Sioux never have a CHANCE at playing on Saturday.

G. We'll be back. And after that, we'll be back again.

H. And yet again.

I'll drink a toast to #11 before the end of my days, and like it. And if Hakstol and Eades are coaching that game, I'll be just fine with that.

But I'm sure you'll still find a reason to complain that it isn't #12.

:D

DING! You win!

On this note: CLOSE THIS THREAD.

egf, take a walk for a while.

It would be a mistake to close this thread. Just because you don't like what you read doesn't mean you need to squelch it. I say, let's have it out... all opinions. That's the beauty and the beast of the internet.

taz not very happy right now.

BD

I do not agree with you on this one. I belive that hak maybe did the scouting, but I do believe that dean signed them. I'll do some checking into this.

While I don't think a coaching change is in order, I do think that Hakstol focuses on defense too much. Dean Blais also believed in playing responsible defense (he once benched Jason Blake for not playing defense), but he also allowed his players to be creative and create offense and scoring opportunities. That put pressure on the opposing team and also kept the puck out of the defensive zone, which also helps out your goaltender. The Dave Hakstol version of this program I think sometimes plays too conservatively and almost looks like a pre-NHL lockout style of a team. We could use some more playmaking depth up front throughout the lineup. While this year's team was solid throughout, it helps to have some homerun hitters in the lineup.

I do understand the frustration people are having. Because I share it. We used to have a reputation of hanging banners when we had the teams to do it. We always used to rip Minnesota for getting to the Frozen Four and losing in the semis every year (during the 1990's) because our program took advantage of our Frozen Four trips. Boy, have times changed. And not for the better. :D

I hate to say this, but our fan base has changed over the years. It used to be about hanging banners in REA (first the old one, now the new one). Now it's about having a bunch of former players in the NHL and "just getting there". We have been to six of the last nine Frozen Fours and have one championship (2000) to show for it. That used to be unacceptable in our fan base. Now it's just par for the course and no one seems to notice anymore. I'll still support this team no matter what; it's just maddening to have to experience this year after year.

The law of averages dictates that you get only X number of chances to win a championship and that's it. We could get back in 2009, but with all the pro defections we will have in the coming weeks, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. No one remembers who loses in the semis or who loses in the title game. And that is the most disappointing aspect of all of this.

IN 4 STRAIGHT FROZEN FOURS with the talent we have had? You have got to be kidding me!!!

No. I'm not kidding. I saw a loaded-for-bear 81 team go nowhere. And an 84 team. A 98 team. A 99 team. And a 2001 team missed their chance. And there were others...remember 79?

Talent and coaching will get you so far...but even the '84 Oilers lost a few.

No. I'm not kidding. I saw a loaded-for-bear 81 team go nowhere. And an 84 team. A 98 team. A 99 team. And a 2001 team missed their chance. And there were others...remember 79?

Talent and coaching will get you so far...but even the '84 Oilers lost a few.

Yes I remember all of them. Heck Michigan is losing right now. There are always upsets and dissapointments. But after 3 years we cant beat the same team that has beaten us the same way every year in the same game?? And a campionship after 4 straight

A player is actually recruited a lot before they actually sign a letter of intent buddy

Oh really. Well I will bet that you don't know when any of the three I listed were recruited. Go to Chris Hs site and see if you can find the 2004/2005 list and send back your response. The answer is that Hak recruited them. So your point was what Buddy?

BD

A. Learn to spell.

B. Understand that 4 appearances in the FF doesn't guarantee a single win.

C. York has lost FF games to 3 different teams in 3 years. Think BC is considering firing him?

D. NHL plays best of 7 series in the playoffs for a REASON. THIS is the REASON.

E. Agreed with you, York brought players better prepared to exploit the other teams weakness. Again.

F. Again, consider that without getting TO the FF, the Sioux never have a CHANCE at playing on Saturday.

G. We'll be back. And after that, we'll be back again.

H. And yet again.

I'll drink a toast to #11 before the end of my days, and like it. And if Hakstol and Eades are coaching that game, I'll be just fine with that.

But I'm sure you'll still find a reason to complain that it isn't #12.

:D

Good for you

Yes I remember all of them. Heck Michigan is losing right now. There are always upsets and dissapointments. But after 3 years we cant beat the same team that has beaten us the same way every year in the same game?? And a campionship after 4 straight

No. This year BC beat us with speed and intuition.

Last year an unfortunate check by Finley on Gerbe (I think...well anyways a short guy) cost us that one. The year previous to that we played poor defensively but was a very young team.

The only "shoulda" was the 1-0 loss to DU, imo.

How about you sit sown shut up and enjoy the 0 banners risen in 4 years that we were the last 4 teams. I'm no math major but....yeah

Yeah, I'd be happier if there were a banner or two for the past 4, but guess what? I'm still proud as hell of the 7 we have...

And it could have been 9 had 2 OT's gone the other way...I guess we should have fired those coaches. (Blaise and Gasparini).

Oops...except then we'd have missed out on Gino's 3 titles. Hmmm.....

Just sit back and think about it a moment....we're all Sioux fans here...we're on the same side. Only TWO OTHER coaches in HISTORY have taken their teams to 4 FF's in 4 years. Don't you think it's an advantage to have one of those 3 on our side right now?

This isn't about the coaching staff not being capable, This is about reality. In the NCAA's you get one shot. Use it or lose it. If this were best of seven, the Sioux might have two of four banners hanging right now.

Reload.

Retrain.

And bring 'em back again.

Oh really. Well I will bet that you don't know when any of the three I listed were recruited. Go to Chris Hs site and see if you can find the 2004/2005 list and send back your response. The answer is that Hak recruited them. So your point was what Buddy?

BD

Ok obviously you did not understand my response. Im not even going to try to explain

I do not agree with you on this one. I belive that hak maybe did the scouting, but I do believe that dean signed them. I'll do some checking into this.

Toews signed on Jauary 1st, 2005

Oshie signed on February 4th, 2004

Duncan signed on December 18, 2003

My point is that Hak and Eades headed up the recruiting for Blais. Just like Eades and Jackson head it up right now for Hak. I just think we are in good hands and I remember Blais recommended this group.

BTW

ND is up 3-0 over Michigan with 35 secons left in 1st period. Seems eerily familiar

BD

Last year an unfortunate check by Finley on Gerbe (I think...well anyways a short guy) cost us that one. The year previous to that we played poor defensively but was a very young team.

Yes you named all game changers, but how have BC come out every year? All 3 years they came out flying, and dominated the control of the puck.

I'm with you on that one. I was stunned we couldn't generate ANY offense in that one.

Tonight, well...I'll say this for BC. They scouted JP's 5-hole very well. If you look at the first period shots, that was the only place they were shooting. They picked it as his achilles' heel, and it paid off for them. By the time they scored their 2 on 1, it was all over but the final score. Sadly.

But....that does NOT mean the difference was coaching alone. There were a lot of bounces in there that just didn't fly. Had the Sioux not just banged the pipe at 6 min in,(and tied it) but put one home...it may have been a totally different game.

However....it is what it is. Tonight is done. Next year awaits.

Change coaching staff?

Puhleeze.

I wouldn't trade Hakstol and Eades for Scotty Bowman.

And do you know WHY?:D

Ask yourself this....

WHAT COLOR DO THEY BLEED???

I'm with you on that one. I was stunned we couldn't generate ANY offense in that one.

Tonight, well...I'll say this for BC. They scouted JP's 5-hole very well. If you look at the first period shots, that was the only place they were shooting. They picked it as his achilles' heel, and it paid off for them. By the time they scored their 2 on 1, it was all over but the final score. Sadly.

But....that does NOT mean the difference was coaching alone. There were a lot of bounces in there that just didn't fly. Had the Sioux not just banged the pipe at 6 min in,(and tied it) but put one home...it may have been a totally different game.

Change coaching staff?

Puhleeze.

Ask yourself this....

Ok, I am sorry, you got me. I guess I am just frustrated. And to your question, Sioux Green.

Why? This is the fourth year in a roll with the same results. So you are o.k. Well I am not. With the talent that they have had, we should have at least on title.

The Vikings never fired Bud Grant...

Until Hak loses control of the program and/or does something egregious I think it's a bit unnecessary to call for his head. Not that I can't comprehend the emotional reaction to the loss but Hak didn't just inherit a solid program and ride it for a couple years, he's kept immensely competitive.

Change coaching staff?

Puhleeze.

Ask yourself this....

Well said!

And with that fine statement I'll follow up and close with this question we can all ask ourselves... WHAT COLOR DO YOU BLEED?

Looking forward to the perspective and stories from those out in Denver...

Have a good night everyone! Go Sioux!

Ok obviously you did not understand my response. Im not even going to try to explain

I apologize if I misunderstood. My point is that the current staff is about as good as it gets IMO. They bring in good talent every year and they coach that talent up to a consistently high level. And occasionaly they sign a very top end talent. Also, they have not recruited a top end kid who was a one and done. That is becoming a nice bonus for UND and I have to think it is because of the work the coaches do behind the scenes creating the team atmosphere, etc..

BD

Ok, I am sorry, you got me. I guess I am just frustrated. And to your question, Sioux Green.

Frustrated. Now THAT I understand.

Yes...it is frustrating to be "there" 4 times and not bring home the hardware.

Like you, I want them to win it "all" every year. And also like you, I bleed Sioux Green.

Go SIOUX!!!

I apologize if I misunderstood. My point is that the current staff is about as good as it gets IMO. They bring in good talent every year and they coach that talent up to a consistently high level. And occasionaly they sign a very top end talent. Also, they have not recruited a top end kid who was a one and done. That is becoming a nice bonus for UND and I have to think it is because of the work the coaches do behind the scenes creating the team atmosphere, etc..

BD

Its allright. But your right though. I am just frustrated about all 4 years