SiouxSports.com Forum

It's time for a coaching change

egfhosejockey

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frustrated. Now THAT I understand.

Yes...it is frustrating to be "there" 4 times and not bring home the hardware.

Like you, I want them to win it "all" every year. And also like you, I bleed Sioux Green.

Go SIOUX!!!

Yeah thanks! I am a little more calmed down now that Notre Dame is up 3-0! :D

Firing a coach doesn't suddenly make a team better, not to mention it would be nearly impossible to improve on the success Hakstol has had in his only 4 years.

I really don't understand where all this hatred comes from. Take a step back and realize how lucky you are. With only one or two exceptions every other college hockey team in the country would LOVE to have the success we've been lucky enough to witness as Sioux fans the last few years.

I think some of you are just spoiled and are so lacking in perspective you don't even realize what the word means. The fans treatment of some of the players and now coaches is downright disgusting and in the case of Lee and Finley ignorant.

I only take solace in the fact its a very small minority of Sioux fans.

Congrats on another great season boys and time to start thinking about next year.

I apologize if I misunderstood. My point is that the current staff is about as good as it gets IMO. They bring in good talent every year and they coach that talent up to a consistently high level. And occasionaly they sign a very top end talent. Also, they have not recruited a top end kid who was a one and done. That is becoming a nice bonus for UND and I have to think it is because of the work the coaches do behind the scenes creating the team atmosphere, etc..

BD

In the middle of the week, it was noted on local media that one of the reasons that the kids pick UND is because they know they are going to have a good chance to play at the next level. The trick is to surround them with players that can add to the full circle. I agree, it is so dis heartening to see Notre Dame winning, but, who do they have that is going onto the next level. I can't name one. Now, if we can just get a mix of leaders and good talent like a bina or trupp to surround them. We will win one, Just ban BC from the tourney, LOL (PSST look at this a change at goalie, novel idea.)

Its allright. But your right though. I am just frustrated about all 4 years

I don't think many of us will be able to sleep very well for a while. Atleast the last two years the clawed back to make it a game. This year they just fell flat. This has to be one of the worst feelings I have ever had as a Sioux fan. Oh well up again tommorow and looking out to who we can sign, who stays, etc..

We will all be back next year.

BD

I don't think many of us will be able to sleep very well for a while. Atleast the last two years the clawed back to make it a game. This year they just fell flat. This has to be one of the worst feelings I have ever had as a Sioux fan. Oh well up again tommorow and looking out to who we can sign, who stays, etc..

We will all be back next year.

BD

Haha, I guess since I am from Colorado, I still have the Avs!! Uh oh, should I have not said that here? My bad!! :D

I hate to say this, but our fan base has changed over the years. It used to be about hanging banners in REA (first the old one, now the new one). Now it's about having a bunch of former players in the NHL and "just getting there". We have been to six of the last nine Frozen Fours and have one championship (2000) to show for it. That used to be unacceptable in our fan base. Now it's just par for the course and no one seems to notice anymore. I'll still support this team no matter what; it's just maddening to have to experience this year after year.

It's still about hanging banners in the REA...it's always been about that. Those banners are the legacy...they are what those great teams leave behind for us to remember them by. And for every banner hanging from the rafters in the RAE, there are three awesome teams who didn't bring one home, and three great teams who never even made the NCAA's to try to bring one home. 7 titles in over fifty years of hockey, people. Just having a great team does NOT equal a national title...and the Sioux are not the only team with that issue. BC only has 2 national titles (so far...Sat night withholding) and yet they've been to the FF 28 times (SIX MORE THAN THE SIOUX!!).

Sure, we want more banners hanging from the rafters...and they will come. But understand...those banners also came with teams that also won McNaughton cups and Broadmore trophy's.....not just National titles.

I wait, with baited breath, another Sioux team that dominates like '99, or '87...

GO SIOUX!!!

Haha, I guess since I am from Colorado, I still have the Avs!! Uh oh, should I have not said that here? My bad!! :D

My hockey year is over with the Sioux loss, who gives a rats rear about pro hockey. College hockey is my favorite. I hear they have a team that plays in St. Paul, but we all know that they just built the X so that us Sioux fans will have a second best arena to go watch the Sioux play.

We have been to six of the last nine Frozen Fours and have one championship (2000) to show for it. That used to be unacceptable in our fan base.

Define "unacceptable" in this context, because the last time I checked UND wasn't the only quality Div I hockey program in the country, let alone the WCHA.

In the middle of the week, it was noted on local media that one of the reasons that the kids pick UND is because they know they are going to have a good chance to play at the next level. The trick is to surround them with players that can add to the full circle. I agree, it is so dis heartening to see Notre Dame winning, but, who do they have that is going onto the next level. I can't name one. Now, if we can just get a mix of leaders and good talent like a bina or trupp to surround them. We will win one, Just ban BC from the tourney, LOL (PSST look at this a change at goalie, novel idea.)

Oh, Look what a Goalie change can do??

It's still about hanging banners in the REA...it's always been about that. Those banners are the legacy...they are what those great teams leave behind for us to remember them by. And for every banner hanging from the rafters in the RAE, there are three awesome teams who didn't bring one home, and three great teams who never even made the NCAA's to try to bring one home. 7 titles in over fifty years of hockey, people. Just having a great team does NOT equal a national title...and the Sioux are not the only team with that issue. BC only has 2 national titles (so far...Sat night withholding) and yet they've been to the FF 28 times (SIX MORE THAN THE SIOUX!!).

Sure, we want more banners hanging from the rafters...and they will come. But understand...those banners also came with teams that also won McNaughton cups and Broadmore trophy's.....not just National titles.

I wait, with baited breath, another Sioux team that dominates like '99, or '87...

GO SIOUX!!!

You are right about Boston College; they have finished runner-up many, many times. And I think getting to the title game and losing is much worse than losing in the semis. It's just that getting there four consecutive years and coming up empty handed is very disheartening. With the talent we bring in year after year, it's only a matter of time before we pull it off again. It's just frustrating to get close and be denied. And how it happened this year was really hard to swallow.

I don't think we hang banners for winning the Final Five and I think we should. That is a hard tournament to get to and win and I love winning it right in the middle of Rodentland! :D

You are right about Boston College; they have finished runner-up many, many times. And I think getting to the title game and losing is much worse than losing in the semis. It's just that getting there four consecutive years and coming up empty handed is very disheartening. With the talent we bring in year after year, it's only a matter of time before we pull it off again. It's just frustrating to get close and be denied. And how it happened this year was really hard to swallow.

I don't think we hang banners for winning the Final Five and I think we should. That is a hard tournament to get to and win and I love winning it right in the middle of Rodentland! :D

I totally agree. Winning the Broadmore trophy is well worth acknowledgment. As is the McNaughton Cup.

I DO have some concern that the emphasis in Sioux-land is more toward NCAA title rather than WCHA titles...and in some respect I understand that goal, but I also feel (deep down) that the team who wins both the WCHA cups will bring home the BIG BANNER. And...maybe I'm wrong...maybe all three are the goal every year and I'm just not seeing the big picture. Actually, I hope I am wrong there.

But yeah, like all of us, I just Loooooove it when they win the Big One. That seems to make it all worthwhile. And, by Sioux standards...yeah....it's been a while We're starting to have that itch. Getting so close and not grabbing the hardware...well, it's....it's just hard to accept. But accept it we must, and move forward.

Rest assured...ANOTHER BANNER WILL HANG IN THE REA. We just don't know yet what year that will be.

GO SIOUX!!!

Define "unacceptable" in this context, because the last time I checked UND wasn't the only quality Div I hockey program in the country, let alone the WCHA.

"Unacceptable" is not cashing in on your opportunities when you get them. Your team hasn't won an NCAA title in five years (2003) and hasn't been to the Frozen Four in three (2005). But Minnesota cashed in on it's opportunities in 2002 and 2003 after years of squandering them (the Woog era) and lost in the semis (I won't say to whom! :D ) in 2005. Two out of three is a very good percentage considering the quality of teams at the Frozen Four. But one out of six with the kind of talent we've had in Grand Forks during that time is just very disappointing. There is just no other way to describe it. Players choose programs like North Dakota and Minnesota because they want to win National Championships and they want to set high standards for themselves. If you ask the players on these teams, they will probably tell you that "just getting there" isn't good enough. I guess that is my definition of "acceptable" and "unacceptable".

"Unacceptable" is not cashing in on your opportunities when you get them. Your team hasn't won an NCAA title in five years (2003) and hasn't been to the Frozen Four in three (2005). But Minnesota cashed in on it's opportunities in 2002 and 2003 after years of squandering them (the Woog era) and lost in the semis (I won't say to whom! :D ) in 2005. Two out of three is a very good percentage considering the quality of teams at the Frozen Four. But one out of six with the kind of talent we've had in Grand Forks during that time is just very disappointing. There is just no other way to describe it. Players choose programs like North Dakota and Minnesota because they want to win National Championships and they want to set high standards for themselves. If you ask the players on these teams, they will probably tell you that "just getting there" isn't good enough. I guess that is my definition of "acceptable" and "unacceptable".

I think that's why we have a coach like Hakstol...one who GETS US THOSE OPPORTUNITIES.

4 in 4. Them's good odds.

Oh...but wait. Odds...hmmm...that implies probability. Hmmm....

Maybe a team that makes the 4 isn't guaranteed a victory every year. Even every 4. Maybe it's more like one in 8....or one in 12. Folks at BC might tell you something like that.

Disappointing...yes...sure...we'd all love to be on the USCHO chat rooms rubbing Bawstun noses in chowdah speak right now...and every year. But the reality is that a national championship is a RARE THING. 1 team each season gets the title...and did you think that was Mich. State's "turn" last year? No? Hmmm....

Maybe it was Harvard's turn in '89? No? Bowling Green's turn in 84? I'm just sayin'....it's not always the team you expect, NOR the team you want. The latter seems to be even more the case than the former.

In any case...yeah...I'm disappointed, but not done with the Sioux by a long shot. This team is in my blood, and I'll root for them every year, and I'll pray that they are coached by a guy who once wore a green and white sweater...for I know he shares that same goals for the team as I.

Go SIOUX!!

Please!

I can't believe I'm saying this (as a Red Wings fan) but... GO AVs! I'd love to see Detroit take down Colorado (if that's even possible... I don't really pay much attention to NHL "bracketology" if you will).

Four straight Final 4. Four straight NO TITLES. It about time to look for a change. Hak is not a coach that can lead a team to a title. FIRE THE WHOLE STAFF.

Wow, I sure am glad tard's like you don't get to make these types of decisions!

UND doesn't need new coaches, they need to change their recruiting. Its as simple as that.

It would be very nice to keep players throughout college eligibility, but I just don't see how you can guarantee that considering you are always trying to recruit the best young hockey talent.

Looked to me like your goalie needed to make some big saves early and it didnt happen, oh well, get over it, try getting an american coach if your egf guy gets his way.

Isn't there some club hockey or something that you can go watch? Get lost.

BD

If you had asked my fellow Sioux fans who I wanted to see the Sioux play in the semis, I said Boston College, because of their track record, their excellence, I wanted the opportunity to beat them. I was surprised that was not the case where I watched the game 2 weeks ago. Most wanted Miami of Ohio to be the possible opponent. Despite the result, I'm still glad it was Boston College. One it shows us we need to improve, I honestly think that had we even played better we still would have been beaten by this squad...unfortunately they are better...this year. This Boston College team reminds me alot of the teams in 97 and 2000 that we had, by quickly turning turnovers into instant scoring chances, they have a great transition game- they are tenacious bunch and it reminds me of those 97 and 2000 teams. We need to get quicker... I've believed all year that the "Speed Kills" slogan may not apply to this team and to the last few. Boston College to their credit has found a chink in our armour over these last few years and that is to use their speed to get on our defensmen in a hurry, and you know what we haven't responded. A coaching change is not necessary but I will say that our staff has recruited to fit the style of play that continues to be allowed to be called in the WCHA-it's effective against the clutch and grab style of the bottom teams of our league. The players that we recruit to play in the WCHA, and have success here, may not match up well the style of play, skills and abilities that the players from BC have.

imho

If you had asked my fellow Sioux fans who I wanted to see the Sioux play in the semis, I said Boston College, because of their track record, their excellence, I wanted the opportunity to beat them. I was surprised that was not the case where I watched the game 2 weeks ago. Most wanted Miami of Ohio to be the possible opponent. Despite the result, I'm still glad it was Boston College. One it shows us we need to improve, I honestly think that had we even played better we still would have been beaten by this squad...unfortunately they are better...this year. This Boston College team reminds me alot of the teams in 97 and 2000 that we had, by quickly turning turnovers into instant scoring chances, they have a great transition game- they are tenacious bunch and it reminds me of those 97 and 2000 teams. We need to get quicker... I've believed all year that the "Speed Kills" slogan may not apply to this team and to the last few. Boston College to their credit has found a chink in our armour over these last few years and that is to use their speed to get on our defensmen in a hurry, and you know what we haven't responded. A coaching change is not necessary but I will say that our staff has recruited to fit the style of play that continues to be allowed to be called in the WCHA-it's effective against the clutch and grab style of the bottom teams of our league. The players that we recruit to play in the WCHA, and have success here, may not match up well the style of play, skills and abilities that the players from BC have.

imho

I don't think a coaching change is in line but that was the worst, most uninspired effort I have seen from a Sioux team in such a big game. Very disappointing but life goes on.