SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

1 minute ago, franchise said:

The cupboard at WMU will be a little bare in comparison to some of the talent still around or coming at UND

Not if you go by some on this board who are projecting us to be in CC status should Jost leave. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

His mom was pretty adamant that Joe Sakic wants him badly, but hopefully the development and another year of education wins out over somebody trying to get more wins no matter the cost.  Just pointing out that a few guys don't make up a team and shouldn't be the sole reason whether guys come back or not, be it here or Western Michigan. 

Another option for Jost would be to come back to UND, captain the Canadian World Junior team, load up his summer school schedule so that he would be in position to graduate after 3 full years and mull his decision based on whether or not Sakic has got the dumpster fire that is the Avalanche under control.....if it doesn't appear they are moving in the right direction he could play a 3rd year at UND, graduate and declare himself a free agent.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Another option for Jost would be to come back to UND, captain the Canadian World Junior team, load up his summer school schedule so that he would be in position to graduate after 3 full years and mull his decision based on whether or not Sakic has got the dumpster fire that is the Avalanche under control.....if it doesn't appear they are moving in the right direction he could play a 3rd year at UND, graduate and declare himself a free agent.

IF he stays (which is a big if), there is no way he stays through his junior year.  Let's just get him back for next year.

16 minutes ago, petey23 said:

This is certainly an option though I don't see it happening. Obviously would love to see the kid in a UND jersey as long as possible.

I do have a few issues with that approach though.

-I think the kids to realize that when a team (even a down team) drafts them, they are truly making an investment in that player and their future. They are giving the kid the potential to live out their dream. I think players usually recognize that and appreciate it.

-If it becomes too common for college kids to not sign with the team that drafted them, especially high picks, that deters NHL teams from drafting, or highly drafting college kids, which could in turn deter kids from taking the college route. Would hate to see the college game take a step back, when they have done such a good job of getting more kids to the NHL.

Obviously would love to see more kids stay 3-4 years though.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

This is certainly an option though I don't see it happening. Obviously would love to see the kid in a UND jersey as long as possible.

I do have a few issues with that approach though.

-I think the kids to realize that when a team (even a down team) drafts them, they are truly making an investment in that player and their future. They are giving the kid the potential to live out their dream. I think players usually recognize that and appreciate it.

-If it becomes too common for college kids to not sign with the team that drafted them, especially high picks, that deters NHL teams from drafting, or highly drafting college kids, which could in turn deter kids from taking the college route. Would hate to see the college game take a step back, when they have done such a good job of getting more kids to the NHL.

Obviously would love to see more kids stay 3-4 years though.

Good points here, I think getting that mix of 1st and 2nd rounders paired with 4 year program guys cannot be overstated.  Many teams have failed at accomplishing this and have not had success like many thought COUGH Boston U COUGH (FWIW I know we lost to them but they were anointed national champions before the season started by certain writers)

You need those juniors and seniors to keep these high draft picks in check and be the glue for the team.

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

The departure I am hoping for is #5 Borgstrom on Denver. That guy is silky. I know he is a freshie but a guy can hope!

Money talks, but I'm pretty sure he already said he was coming back. A championship and contract offer could change that, but I bet we see him next season.

Kid is so good, but I hope he stays. It is good for college hockey altogether when the talent doesn't bolt after 1 year. UND, DU, UofM, or otherwise.

• Upvote 2

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Money talks, but I'm pretty sure he already said he was coming back. A championship and contract offer could change that, but I bet we see him next season.

Kid is so good, but I hope he stays. It is good for college hockey altogether when the talent doesn't bolt after 1 year. UND, DU, UofM, or otherwise.

There you go being all logical, I posted this as a pure homer ;)

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Good points here, I think getting that mix of 1st and 2nd rounders paired with 4 year program guys cannot be overstated.  Many teams have failed at accomplishing this and have not had success like many thought COUCH Boston U COUGH (FWIW I know we lost to them but they were anointed national champions before the season started by certain writers)

You need those juniors and seniors to keep these high draft picks in check and be the glue for the team.

Absolutely, and as much as I hate UMD right now, it is pretty obvious what talent, experience, and maturity can add to a program. I think the National Championship Union team was built in a similar way, older, experienced guys.

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Good points here, I think getting that mix of 1st and 2nd rounders paired with 4 year program guys cannot be overstated.  Many teams have failed at accomplishing this and have not had success like many thought COUCH Boston U COUGH (FWIW I know we lost to them but they were anointed national champions before the season started by certain writers)

It was amusing to hear the announcers/commentators try to substitute NCAA experience with WJC experience for the BU guys. Don't get me wrong it's great experience to have but I felt it was completely over emphasized. It wasn't like BU didn't have any guys with NCAA experience. They'd been in the title game 2 years ago, made the tourney last year as well... I didn't get it. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It was amusing to hear the announcers/commentators try to substitute NCAA experience with WJC experience for the BU guys. Don't get me wrong it's great experience to have but I felt it was completely over emphasized. It wasn't like BU didn't have any guys with NCAA experience. They'd been in the title game 2 years ago, made the tourney last year as well... I didn't get it. 

Even the BU fans on USCHO message boards were sick of it. They thought it was ridiculous how much they kept talking about who was drafted where. Surprisingly, for the most part BU fans sounded pretty level-headed about their team despite some of the writers out East essentially calling them unbeatable.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Absolutely, and as much as I hate UMD right now, it is pretty obvious what talent, experience, and maturity can add to a program. I think the National Championship Union team was built in a similar way, older, experienced guys.

Which is why losing guys like Luke Johnson and Keaton Thompson early hurt.  Having Thompson sure would have helped after Poolman went down.  Our power play might have been just enough better to make a difference. 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed. If you think you are coming back to have a down season, that could certainly play a factor. At the same time, UND has been a tourney team and won 20+ games for the last 15 years. Pretty much anyone who ever comes back (drafted or UFA) comes back knowing they have a chance to compete for a title. I think if Jost goes, it will not be based on what a few of his teammates do.

I'm sure Sakic wants him bad, but hopefully lets Tyson do what he thinks is best without too much pressure. Playing MJ vs college is a real possibility he will have to consider; though I think he would make the team out of camp. I also think that we he picked college over MJ, he knew he was likely in it for 2 seasons. Nothing to based that on, just my opinion. Jost also seem so impressed early in the season by UND and fans, I think he really enjoyed the season, team, culture, etc. and would give it one more go.

Again, all speculation. Obviously only 1 person out there that has any sincere idea of what will happen, and that is Jost. 

I think another factor here is also getting thrown into the fire too soon.  You see it alot in baseball where I team rushes a young hitter or pitcher to the majors before they are quite ready and it really sets that player's development back or he never realizes his potential.  Absolutely a coach or GM wants as much help as quickly as possible to potentially save their own jobs.  It isn't necessarily for the best interests of the player.

2 minutes ago, fsioux said:

I think another factor here is also getting thrown into the fire too soon.  You see it alot in baseball where I team rushes a young hitter or pitcher to the majors before they are quite ready and it really sets that player's development back or he never realizes his potential.  Absolutely a coach or GM wants as much help as quickly as possible to potentially save their own jobs.  It isn't necessarily for the best interests of the player.

As an Avs fan, this is where I'm thinking Sakic is leaning. He has to see the potential of the boot coming. Roy was blamed for the terrible play, and after this season it looks like Roy was the reason they were even mediocre.

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

With all of the openings out there this season, it will be interesting to see if Dane Jackson gets a look anywhere. Hope we keep him, but he could be a good head coach somewhere.

Dane Jackson was offered a job with the Flyers and turned it down.

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

IF Jackson were to get another job. Any idea who we would see get added to the staff? Shaw seemed like the exception to UND usually getting UND alumni. Does UND have many coaching potentials working their way up the ranks?

If Jackson ever left Karl would be the front runner for the job.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

The departure I am hoping for is #5 Borgstrom on Denver. That guy is silky. I know he is a freshie but a guy can hope!

He said he'd like to come back. He needs to stop playing half-assed out there and work on his two-way game, he's not close to having a 200ft game.