SiouxSports.com Forum

On To The Griz

geaux_sioux

Time to move on. I think we've all pulled out enough hair because of thee last two games. On to Montana and the Griz. They are 3-3 overall 2-1 in the Big Sky. They're coming off the buy week. They lost to Weber St at home last time they played. Our team is pissed. They're probably pissed. Should be a good game.

Griz don't appear to be world beaters right now, and I think they are on their 3rd string QB.  But just like ISU, they are a horrible matchup and it will be a challenging environment.  Would feel a lot better about it if I knew either Reyes or Studsrud were available.

Pretty sure the Griz would feel better with their #1 QB..........or their #2.

Washington-Griz Stadium is an aweome venue though.

I would be happy with Reyes and Joe at QB.

Yeah, regardless of who the QB is, the key as it is every week is going to be to esestablish the run and keep the Montana offense off the field.  Our defense has gone from being out biggest strengths to our biggest liability in just a couple of weeks.

The only thing I like about this matchup is they are wheeling out their 3rd QB.

Hostile environment, two weeks to prepare, an offensive style that gives the defense fits, and they must have this game.

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

The only thing I like about this matchup is they are wheeling out their 3rd QB.

Hostile environment, two weeks to prepare, an offensive style that gives the defense fits, and they must have this game.

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

With the complete collapse defensively by UND the last 2 weeks and as you mentioned the Griz needing this game badly and playing at home I think this game will get ugly.

Two ways to looks at this team right now.

1. This team had a surprisingly hot start to the year. The run game is a night and day difference from last year. Passing game is still inconsistent, but we added a run element with studsrud. Defense has been great, but lacks depth especially at Safety. Corners are suspect to fail, but are also very young. Ultimately, this team is two quarters away from being 6-1, which would not have even been talked about before the season. Our inability to close out games appears to be due to a young inexperience team, and an staff that still needs to learn how to make adjustments.
  2. Unfortunately those two meltdown quarters DID happen, and moral victories suck. Now we are 4-3 with playoff dreams fading really fast. Should this team make the playoffs? Based on our recent meltdowns, I have to say NO. BUT this team has definitely shown promise. and has been in every game except for NDSU, showing they can compete with the majority of the Big Sky. (Weber was supposed to be down, but they are 2nd in the conference right now) Ultimately I think we have to win out to get in. If we lose one more, we are on the fringe.

Playoffs are possible, but ultimately this team just needs to focus on winning games, and playing out the 4th quarter. Limiting the fumbles and playing solid D. This is not a bad team, but it is young with room for improvement. Some people are saying injuries and lack of depth is an excuse. I don't quite buy that. Injuries are definitely a factor. Losing some of your most important players is always a factor. That being said, this team also competed for the majority of the past due games without key players. I think it is more of a maturity thing.

Still keeping up hope, and it starts this weekend. We need a big time road win, before coming back home. 

Playoffs?

This team can't string together 4 qtrs of good football.  They would need to run the table to make the playoffs which, if my math is correct, comes to 16 qtrs of good football.

That may be optimism to the point of foolishness.

Just took a looks at some of the the other schools schedules, and I still think the Big Sky could have a lot of shifting in the standing over the next few weeks. E Washington is definitely the best team in the conference right now, but they still have some tough games on their schedule. S Utah has been dominant, especially recently, but they haven't had the strongest schedule yet either. It will definitely be an interesting rest of the season.

Playoffs?

This team can't string together 4 qtrs of good football.  They would need to run the table to make the playoffs which, if my math is correct, comes to 16 qtrs of good football.

Wasn't saying it was going to happen, I'm just saying this isn't a bad team, and it is certainly possible. If they figure out how to close out their games, they could certainly win any of their last 4. Will they? Probably not. But lets remember this game is not just about the 4th quarter either. Prior to their terrible collapses, this team has shown a lot of promise.

I think it is completely fair to be critical of these collapses, as they should never happen, let along two weeks in a row. But if we are going to be critical of that, we also have to give due credit for what the team has done right.

Like I said, if you read the whole post; Should this team make the playoffs? NO. But if this team starts closing out their games, and making some adjustments, is it possible? Sure. For me the really disappointing part is this team took several steps forward leading up to the Idaho St. game, and now we have seen two giant steps backwards. Not just in losing the games, but how we lost them. Even if we squeaked out the win against Weber, the way they played in the 4th would still raise a ton of questions.

Playoffs?

Dare I say Sundogs has a better chance of winning the nickname vote than what you described above...................

Dare I say Sundogs has a better chance of winning the nickname vote than what you described above...................

lol probably. I don't expect this team to make the playoffs, given where they are right now. But I'm also not ready to give up on them, based on two terrible quarters.

Saying this team will not make the playoffs does not equate to giving up on them...I'm only giving up the belief they will make the playoffs.

There's also another thing at play here.  Yes every game is winnable from here on out.  But as we've seen, even with the Griz, EWU, or MSU, every game on the schedule is loseable.  That's life at this level of football.  This isn't the d2 days where you can count on wins from the bottom of the conference.  The margin for error you have between winning and losing is small.  You have to be doing the right things correctly every week.  If not, you'll get beat at home vs ISU (UND), or at home vs Weber (griz), or at UNC (Muss), or at home vs USD (ndsu).

Wow, just checked out the Griz Forum, and most people are picking UND to win. One person said it won't even be within three scores. I get that they are pretty frustrated over there, but its not like they are playing a dominant team. Even if we were- 6-1, our team has still been suspect to big plays. I still think UND has a good shot, and this will likely be another close game for the Sioux/Nodaks :)

EGriz will sell their coach up the river in a second. They're volitile when things aren't perfect. They have high expectations but sometimes aren't exactly rational. Sound familiar?

Fire Muss!!!

Oh wait..................................

EGriz will sell their coach up the river in a second. They're volitile when things aren't perfect. They have high expectations but sometimes aren't exactly rational. Sound familiar?

rational is against the rules, there and here

I don't give a sh*t what the probabilities of going 4-0 over the next 4 games are; bottom line is UND needs to go to work and do it. 

One more loss and they are as good as done in terms of the playoff/conference race. With that said, it isn't impossible for this team to put together a 4 game winning streak (2 of the 4 at home). However, it is unlikely. I will still will be hoping/supporting the team for 4-0. 

• Upvote 4