SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Upgrades

MafiaMan

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Were there issues with the ice conditions last year? I didn't hear a single one.

I saw the puck on its side at least twice....so the ice is horrible!!!!

Also heard the ice was terrible in Tampa until the natty was presented....that's why LJ got hurt.

I was asked... if given the opportunity should the NCHC move to the X after the current contract is up.  I had some positive reasons (gameplay conditions, familiarity with hockey of the staff) but also some reasons why staying at the TC would be more beneficial (easier access for fans, more to do around the arena).

Thinking from a logical, business based perspective, why should the NCHC move to the X?  And I do realize that keeping fans happy is part of a business based perspective. Would attendance increase enough just because it's at the X?

13 minutes ago, southpaw said:

And I do realize that keeping fans happy is part of a business based perspective. Would attendance increase enough just because it's at the X?

Keeping fans happy better be #1, since when they become unhappy they quit coming.  Many sioux fans quit coming when it was moved to target (past experience), many more came and have now left because they are unhappy. I won't renew my commemorative ticket this year,  and although I may still go,  it will be in the cheap seats,  which are only 3-4 rows up from mine. 

Surprised that teams didn't complain about the ice,  as the skill level did not show up when teams best players were constantly overskating slow or stuck pucks. Not even close to the skill level I watched in the Ralph all year long. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sprig said:

Keeping fans happy better be #1, since when they become unhappy they quit coming.  Many sioux fans quit coming when it was moved to target (past experience), many more came and have now left because they are unhappy. I won't renew my commemorative ticket this year,  and although I may still go,  it will be in the cheap seats,  which are only 3-4 rows up from mine. 

Surprised that teams didn't complain about the ice,  as the skill level did not show up when teams best players were constantly overskating slow or stuck pucks. Not even close to the skill level I watched in the Ralph all year long. 

What happens when it moves to the X and attendance doesn't really increase and you're looking at a quarter empty lower-bowl and a half-empty upper bowl? Or people get upset (believe me, people will whine about everything) because it's not exactly like the Final Five?

14 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It was better but judging by what I saw the puck do on the ice... yes

The players mentioned that the ice was "better" than previous years, but didn't say it was great. 

34 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What happens when it moves to the X and attendance doesn't really increase and you're looking at a quarter empty lower-bowl and a half-empty upper bowl? Or people get upset (believe me, people will whine about everything) because it's not exactly like the Final Five?

If the nchc likes it at target,  it will stay there.  I'd rather be in the x, but that's just 1 or 2 tickets,  so do what you want

So,  what happens,  you can answer it yourself

1 hour ago, dakotadan said:

Isn't the ice making equipment and compressor being replaced this summer as part of the remodel? If I'm not mistaken it was reported that the request for bids went out early this spring. 

SPRING 2016

Target Center to remain open for events

PHASE 1:

• Scoreboard
  • Suite Level
  • Acoustic Improvements

FALL 2016 - SPRING 2017

PHASE 2:

• Exterior Work Begins
  • Loading Dock
  • Marshalling Yard

SUMMER 2017

Target Center shutdown

PHASE 3:

• New Lobby Built
  • Locker Rooms
  • Dressing Rooms
  • Public Restrooms
  • Concourse Improvements
  • Additional Club Spaces
  • Food and Beverage Improvements

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

The first year at the Target Center I had a full suite of people that had attended the Final Five for years. After the first year, almost all didn't and haven't come back and it has been difficult to get people to come. I can pretty guarantee an attendance increase if it moved to the Xcel even though the ticket prices most certainly would increase as well.

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

I was asked... if given the opportunity should the NCHC move to the X after the current contract is up.  I had some positive reasons (gameplay conditions, familiarity with hockey of the staff) but also some reasons why staying at the TC would be more beneficial (easier access for fans, more to do around the arena).

Thinking from a logical, business based perspective, why should the NCHC move to the X?  And I do realize that keeping fans happy is part of a business based perspective. Would attendance increase enough just because it's at the X?

Plain and simple, St Paul has ALWAYS been a hockey town.  There's a reason why the high school tournament has been there for what seems like a hundred years.  There are too many other things going on in Minneapolis and the tournament gets minor billing.  In St Paul, it's THE MAIN EVENT.

I haven't been to an NCHC game since the old Final Five.  And I refuse to spend a nickel at the Target Center because NOTHING has changed there since the 1999 and 2000 tournaments.     

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

SPRING 2016

PHASE 1:

• Scoreboard
  • Suite Level
  • Acoustic Improvements

FALL 2016 - SPRING 2017

PHASE 2:

• Exterior Work Begins
  • Loading Dock
  • Marshalling Yard

SUMMER 2017

Target Center shutdown

PHASE 3:

• New Lobby Built
  • Locker Rooms
  • Dressing Rooms
  • Public Restrooms
  • Concourse Improvements
  • Additional Club Spaces
  • Food and Beverage Improvements

So the upgrades will be done by 2017.  So by the 2018 Frozen Faceoff, fans can expect that what the Target Center is that year is what it will be mostly like from there on out.  2018 is also the last year of the 5 year contract that the NCHC signed with the Target Canter.  Most likely, the TC will want to have an extension in place before that.  I would like to see the NCHC wait until after the 2018 Frozen Faceoff before signing any extensions.  If things were great, then sign an extension.  I?f things didn't get better and attendance continues to decline, the NCHC may need to look at other options.  Of course a move to the X will only happen if the B1G decides to move to a different arena/city.  

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So the upgrades will be done by 2017.  So by the 2018 Frozen Faceoff, fans can expect that what the Target Center is that year is what it will be mostly like from there on out.  2018 is also the last year of the 5 year contract that the NCHC signed with the Target Canter.  Most likely, the TC will want to have an extension in place before that.  I would like to see the NCHC wait until after the 2018 Frozen Faceoff before signing any extensions.  If things were great, then sign an extension.  I?f things didn't get better and attendance continues to decline, the NCHC may need to look at other options.  Of course a move to the X will only happen if the B1G decides to move to a different arena/city.  

The B1G is going to campus sites similar to the WCHA.  Not officially announced but it's happening.

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

The B1G is going to campus sites similar to the WCHA.  Not officially announced but it's happening.

the B1G tournament is only scheduled through this year (at Joe Louis Arena).  So if that rumor is true, the X will have no conference tournaments scheduled for the first time since it opened.  Does the X want conference tournaments?  Will they make a push to get the Frozen Faceoff to switch venues?  Do arena's do that?  

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

the B1G tournament is only scheduled through this year (at Joe Louis Arena).  So if that rumor is true, the X will have no conference tournaments scheduled for the first time since it opened.  Does the X want conference tournaments?  Will they make a push to get the Frozen Faceoff to switch venues?  Do arena's do that?  

They'll be in touch with the NCHC over the next couple of years.  It's not a secret the X won't have any conference tournaments and the NCHC/TC contract is done after 2018.  The conference will let them know if they're accepting bids in which case the X would then apply.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

Are u kidding ?

I absolutely loved going to the X 

It was a trip my whole family loved to make - we may have always stayed at different hotels but even that was Fun

Went to the TC twice never again

7 hours ago, southpaw said:

I am intrigued at the reasoning behind your thoughts.  TC doesn't really have that much easier access anymore.  Driving in downtown MPLS is always a zoo, the light rail has two stops within a half mile of the X now, parking is by far easier in St. Paul.  The X has more sports bars (IMHO), the science museum and capital are right there as is the History Center and the Children's Museum. The Ordway is right there and all of that is without crossing the river.

Not to mention, hotels in St. Paul tend to be cheaper than in Mpls.

Wonder if a bunch of fans refused to go to the old Ralph....and were happy when the new Ralph was opened they could go again....guess that was the reason for the attendance increase.

I guess it really isn't anytime, anyplace for the Hawk fans.

35 minutes ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

I am intrigued at the reasoning behind your thoughts.  TC doesn't really have that much easier access anymore.  Driving in downtown MPLS is always a zoo, the light rail has two stops within a half mile of the X now, parking is by far easier in St. Paul.  The X has more sports bars (IMHO), the science museum and capital are right there as is the History Center and the Children's Museum. The Ordway is right there and all of that is without crossing the river.

Is it really a debate that Minneapolis has more to do than St. Paul?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

Not during tourney time, at least in my experience. During the real Final Five days, it seemed you couldn't get a downtown St Paul hotel for under $300 per night. Hotels in downtown Minneapolis are plentiful enough the tourney doesn't make a huge difference in rates.