SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

So it's all about luck, rather than magic. Well hopefully the Bennett Brien curse has been lifted ;)

Note: I love the Bennett Brien logo. It's just unfortunate that UND hockey had such a poor frozen four record during its tenure.

I don't think it's the curse of the Brien logo. It's the curse of the banners in REA all being made to have the Brien logo on them...even though the Brien logo didn't exist for ANY of those championships! Banners should be era specific!

End rant.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's the curse of the Brien logo. It's the curse of the banners in REA all being made to have the Brien logo on them...even though the Brien logo didn't exist for ANY of those championships! Banners should be era specific!

End rant.

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't even mind the interlocking ND logo if it's placed on a green banner hanging in the Ralph after this year..... :D

So it's all about luck, rather than magic. Well hopefully the Bennett Brien curse has been lifted ;)

Note: I love the Bennett Brien logo. It's just unfortunate that UND hockey had such a poor frozen four record during its tenure.

To a large extent, yes. There are so many factors in a one and done format. Where the regionals and FF are played, how you match up with the teams you are paired with, bounces of all shapes and sizes, who is the ref and how is the game called, hot goalie or cold goalie, other upsets, sick/injured players, hitting a post or two vs. the other team hitting a post, breaking a stick at the wrong time...

If the Sioux win it this year there is no question they got some fortunate breaks. Well deserving, but also a good helping of luck. That's just the way it is.

I can't ever remember a Sioux hockey game after which I was more shattered.

Mine was easily the Michigan game. I just sat in the stands for like 20 mins in shock. Knowing The Pony Express was done and Frattin would be in the NHL during the National Championship.

If the Sioux win it this year there is no question they got some fortunate breaks. Well deserving, but also a good helping of luck. That's just the way it is.

North Dakota is overdue in the "catching a break" department...LOOONNNNNNG overdue.

• Upvote 2

I can't ever remember a Sioux hockey game after which I was more shattered.

I can pick two others. 1998 and 1999. I've got Frozen Four tickets in hand for both (Boston and Anaheim). This is in the days of the 12 team tournament, and UND secured a first-round bye both years.

In other words, North Dakota was one victory away from the Frozen Four in both seasons.

1998 vs. Michigan in Ann Arbor. Came into the game with a record of 30-7-1. Michigan barely squeaked by Princeton 2-1 in the first round. Marty Turco makes a fantastic save on a North Dakota power play, and (Michigan captain) Matt Herr scores a shorthanded backbreaker at the other end. 4-3 final. Wolverines went on to win the title.

Remarkably, the entire game is available here. I'm almost tempted to watch it again, and then throw up.

1999 vs. Boston College in Madison. Came into the game with a record of 32-5-2. Scoreless first period. Became a penalty fest (UND 10 penalties for 31 minutes, BC 4 penalties for 8 minutes). Tied 1-1 late in the second when the Eagles score. 2-1 all the way until a Gionta empty-netter with 11 seconds to go. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Anaheim and Boston (particularly my double dip in the Harbor), but both trips could have (should have) been so much better....

Dave

I agree Dave. That 1999 lose was a tough one. They absolutely bottled us up. We could get nothing going. Very frustrating.

When the Gerbe debacle game turned, it turned in a hurry. By the end of the first that one was done. I still think that those '05-'08 games were toss-ups. Those BC teams were not dominant teams. (Compared to many UND teams, Michigan... in that era)

That game was over 10 minutes into the first period. It was very painful to watch.

Gerbe scored a shorty just short of 7 minutes in to go up 2-0. The next 53+ minutes were miserable........