SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

What kind of o-line scheme does Bubba like to use, a zone scheme or more of a power blocking one?

Bubba is indifferent I'm sure, but the OC Rudolph will use both blocking schemes according to the live chat that was held on national signing day.

Rudolph's system sounds to be a textbook multiple offense with an emphasis on running the ball and controlling time of possession.

I will be interested in seeing (hearing) how the 2014 recruiting class on the defensive side of the ball will come into Spring program. Especially with the dawn of a new era of Sioux Football. The current inventory of RS players are looking to prove themselves and have continued to work hard in the gym. The handful of players that I get to hear about like Norberg, Reyes, and Wharton have all put on some quality lbs., eating right (quality and quantity), and excited about preparing for what the coaches are asking from them. I hope that has been the case with the entire roster. That should be a positive indicator as to the "buy-in" of the system and team philosophy that Coach Bubba is expecting.

That's where the work is done!!

The weight room is in memorial. It doesn't look like much but the equipment is top notch as is the coaching. It's the type of weight room that brings a team together. Low ceilings, ugly wood paneling, thumping music, always hot as a sauna. It's not the nicest but it's ours. Much like the weather up here, you can embrace it or let it be a distraction.

What about receiver?

RJ will be back and if I remember correctly he was having a nice season up until his knee injury. I would like to see Young get a chance. He seems like a hard worker.

Aaron Carr should be in the mix. A lot of potential.

Ideal situation: We get 2 FBS transfers, 1 receiver, 1 RB.

As far as offensive line, the only lock I see is Brandon Anderson at left guard. Walker should be slated at center, but you never know. He'll have competition. Look for Dan Bell to lock up a spot.

As far as skill positions, WR will include McGill, Young, Carr, and Bridges.

Simmons will likely will start at RB, with Sharp spelling him. Sounds like Sharp will overtake Garman, Sparks, and Shaugabay on the depth chart due to raw ability.

As UNDColorado eluded to though, an FBS transfer to both the WR and RB groups would be preferable.

Ivery may move back to wr. It'd be in everyone's best interest if he did. So hopefully Ivery McGill Bridges and Young. Not much size.... We need at least one 6'3 wr out there.

Carr will likely see more playing time than Ivery and Bridges. Freund is high on Carr and he almost had his redshirt pulled last year even with Hardin, Jackson, and Golladay on the roster.

Carr will likely see more playing time than Ivery and Bridges. Freund is high on Carr and he almost had his redshirt pulled last year even with Hardin, Jackson, and Golladay on the roster.

Saw Carr at the hockey game on Friday. He looks he's been putting serious work in, can't wait to see him on the field this year. Have a feeling that he will do some special things over his next four years here.

Recievers?? Guys....we are a power running team now!!! Those are the players we should be talking about!! (Wait....do we have a RB on the roster over 180 lbs???) Ok nevermind....back to talking about recievers!! :)

You still have to throw the ball some! Have you watched the Minnesota Vikings lately?

Anyway, we will be emphasizing the run moving forward, and I agree that is winning football. Having Cedric Simmons (who is 215 lbs) and Sharp (should be around 190 to 200 lbs) will go a long way; however, as Bubba said during his last press conference, we will be aggressively searching for a downhill FBS transfer running back. Add an FBS transfer at 200 lbs + into the mix, and we would have a nice backfield to get the job done.

I thought Sparks looked good when he did get a chance at the end of the year. I don't remember what his yards per carry were but they were pretty good in limited carries.

EDIT - he had 15 carries for 113 yards - 7.5 yards per carry. Not many carries though but he was able to make something out of nothing a number of times when he did get a chance.

Recievers?? Guys....we are a power running team now!!! Those are the players we should be talking about!! (Wait....do we have a RB on the roster over 180 lbs???) Ok nevermind....back to talking about recievers!! :)

Unless you are running the option (or the single-wing or the wing T), receivers matter. So yes, we have to talk about the receivers. Championship teams generally don't have glaring weaknesses of any kind.

I forgot about him. Don't sleep on Ivery though. He could be the wr version of Marcus Hendrickson if he turns things around. We still need a bigger bodied wr regardless.