Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
UND Fan

Grand Forks Economy

Recommended Posts

Bets on if Firehouse Subs will last a calendar year? It looks awfully quiet in there night after night already. It looks eerily similar to Quiznos at this point. I knew the instant that sign went up that it was going to be a failure. How do people get business loans approved for stuff like that? Or is it based off franchisee payments to the corporate office, so the owner is the only one screwed in the end? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think something like that would have done better downtown. Granted the only other fastfood place downtown is another sub place, but I feel like there is some opportunity in that area now that it's sparked some interest and the mall scene seems to be cooling off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Bets on if Firehouse Subs will last a calendar year? It looks awfully quiet in there night after night already. It looks eerily similar to Quiznos at this point. I knew the instant that sign went up that it was going to be a failure. How do people get business loans approved for stuff like that? Or is it based off franchisee payments to the corporate office, so the owner is the only one screwed in the end? 

Usually through an SBA program or the owner has significant financial repayment sources/assets elsewhere to compensate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

@geaux_sioux Their meatball sub puts Subway's to shame.  Delicious!

Honestly I haven't had subway in over 15 years, I don't care if they improve either, their food was such !@#$ back in the day that they lost me forever. I'll stick to Jimmy Johns and Firehouse.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4227400-allegiant-puts-grand-forks-orlando-flights-hold

Quote

Allegiant wouldn't give a reason for the change, but Riesinger said it's due to low passenger numbers.

You'd think, maybe, they could have done something like, oh, I don't know, advertise?  Trips to Disney/Universal are an expensive proposition, to be sure, but all some of us need is a little enticement or inducement.  Admittedly, I do not read the Herald in print very often and I do not listen to local radio, but I can't recall ever seeing an Allegiant ad or anything resembling a push to get people to fly (non-stop) to the Orlando area.  If the number was right, I'd have pulled the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the family of 6 to Orlando in Jan. Looked to fly out of GF but they had bad days to fly in and out. Looked in Fargo because we wanted to do either a Monday to Monday or Friday to Friday and Fargo had the Friday to Friday so we left out of Fargo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The days Allegiant flies out of Fargo and GF are why I've never taken it.  Saving $150 a ticket doesn't help much if you have to stay 2 extra days at your destination, since they only fly to and from some places once a week (2 nights of additional hotel + meals + entertainment, and you've quickly erased your flight savings, not to mention used 2 more days of vacation).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

When will either or both come to GF? 

Lyft came last week. Uber starts here at noon today.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wildfan said:

Lyft came last week. Uber starts here at noon today.

Awesome, that'll be so nice on the weekends when all of the college kids steal the few available cabs in town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cratter said:

It's nice that GF is hosting the class B tournament but I don't think it should be held in a football stadium.

It's a multi use facility. Better because of multi courts and better set up than Fargo dome IMO. Much better than single court venues with how many games happen. Also better than Minot and bismarcks best venues IMO. What's better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Much better than single court venues with how many games happen. Also better than Minot and bismarcks best venues IMO. What's better? 

A basketball arena. Scheels Arena, the Betty?

Is there more than one basketball court in the Alerus? I've only been there when they've had one.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It's a multi use facility. Better because of multi courts and better set up than Fargo dome IMO. Much better than single court venues with how many games happen. Also better than Minot and bismarcks best venues IMO. What's better? 

They are only using one court I believe.  They used two courts when they had the Super 'A' where both the boys and girls tourney were taking place at the same time/some location.  I agree that it would be better in a Bball facility.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Ick.  Place sucks.

Yeah, I've only eaten at a Sonic once and it didn't do much for me.  Then again, I'm not much of a fast food guy either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Yeah, I've only eaten at a Sonic once and it didn't do much for me.  Then again, I'm not much of a fast food guy either...

Their food is garbage. However, their drinks and ice cream are good. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×