SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sounds like the MVC Presidents will be voting on Monday May 8th on new members.  If Valpo or Milwaukee are picked, the Horizon would have to move fast to get back to 10 teams next year.  The Slummit troubles would intensify.  IPFW to the Horizon as a minimum.  IUPUI also possible.  The OVC takes WIU to backfill any loss of Murray St, as WIU would know that is a safe move in a bus league with so many non-aspirational schools

Oh the joys of being in a bottom of the barrel conference, not that we are a member yet.

Do you really sit at home and dream up your black helicopter scenarios on your own? Relax. I have no idea how you get through most days without having a heart attack. 

And drop the Slummit moniker. It makes you sound like a petulant child. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Every time you refer to the Summit League as the "Slummit", you instantly lose all credibility.  (Or at least the small amount you had left anyway).

Couldn't agree more... Literally every time I see him refer to the Summit in this way I move on... Have  some class man... Honestly, you just make your self look petty. 

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Every time you refer to the Summit League as the "Slummit", you instantly lose all credibility.  (Or at least the small amount you had left anyway).

51 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Do you really sit at home and dream up your black helicopter scenarios on your own? Relax. I have no idea how you get through most days without having a heart attack. 

And drop the Slummit moniker. It makes you sound like a petulant child. 

Snowflake Outbreak!  There is something seriously wrong with kids today as they won't listen to the truth, even though they have been told over and over.

Does this board seriously object to the Pig 10, who posters here throw out all the time?  It is a conference that hoards all the money it can, so Pig 10 is appropriate.  But all conference try to maximize their income.

Slummit is used because the Summit is the slums of DI conferences.  Its nearly the weakest conference structurally out there, because everyone wants to leave.  When that's alleviated by getting football or getting the Montanas and Idaho for stability,  will stop.  Nobody wants a bunch of Dakotas schools, as even Omaha wants to escape.  If that hasn't been drilled into your noggin, I don't think there is much hope for truth sinking in.  The only conferences that have similar bad stabilities are the WAC and Atlantic Sun, as if they lose two schools they are done.  Getting DII moveups doesnt help unless they have already been added because they don't add to full members until it's to late.

IUPUI, IPFW, W Ill and Omaha are essentially the dregs of DI in the Midwest and the Slummit is only staying alive by keeping them.   But recent news show even they might leave.  No other university President wants a Dakota centric league, as it's expensive travel, doesn't have much population  base for recruining, alumni, and potential students and has its showcase tournament in Sioux Falls, which non SD schools universally hate except that it makes money.  Not bashing Sioux Falls or the Sanford Center, but it is not a Las Vegas destination.

Slummit does not reference that it is a poor league in play or facilities, as where are the established DI teams that are yearning to join?  Denver, ORU, and UND are nearly almost the only established DI schools in its history that have actually wanted the Slummit.  Know your history, which you dont. 

Repeating the warning:  the Slummit needs to add football and/or Idaho and Montana to graduate to an unendangered status.  When will that sink in to these numbskulls?

P. S.  Hockey conference are very different, because UND makes its conference money and travel is good for recruiting and there is top knotch competition.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Snowflake Outbreak!  There is something seriously wrong with kids today as they won't listen to the truth, even though they have been told over and over.

Does this board seriously object to the Pig 10, who posters here throw out all the time?  It is a conference that hoards all the money it can, so Pig 10 is appropriate.  But all conference try to maximize their income.

Slummit is used because the Summit is the slums of DI conferences.  Its nearly the weakest conference structurally out there, because everyone wants to leave.  When that's alleviated by getting football or getting the Montanas and Idaho for stability,  will stop.  Nobody wants a bunch of Dakotas schools, as even Omaha wants to escape.  If that hasn't been drilled into your noggin, I don't think there is much hope for truth sinking in.  The only conferences that have similar bad stabilities are the WAC and Atlantic Sun, as if they lose two schools they are done.  Getting DII moveups doesnt help unless they have already been added because they don't add to full members until it's to late.

IUPUI, IPFW, W Ill and Omaha are essentially the dregs of DI in the Midwest and the Slummit is only staying alive by keeping them.   But recent news show even they might leave.  No other university President wants a Dakota centric league, as it's expensive travel, doesn't have much population  base for recruining, alumni, and potential students and has its showcase tournament in Sioux Falls, which non SD schools universally hate except that it makes money.  Not bashing Sioux Falls or the Sanford Center, but it is not a Las Vegas destination.

Slummit does not reference that it is a poor league in play or facilities, as where are the established DI teams that are yearning to join?  Denver, ORU, and UND are nearly almost the only established DI schools in its history that have actually wanted the Slummit.  Know your history, which you dont. 

Repeating the warning:  the Slummit needs to add football and/or Idaho and Montana to graduate to an unendangered status.  When will that sink in to these numbskulls?

P. S.  Hockey conference are very different, because UND makes its conference money and travel is good for recruiting and there is top knotch competition.

My guess is I'm older then you. Definitely more mature. The Summit doesn't reference that it is poor in play or facilities, because it isn't . IPFW does not have an impressive facility but they do have options. We don't play in HS gyms like they do in the Big Sky. Play? Even in a down year with SDSU struggling early the Summit was ahead of the Horizon and a top 15 league. Next season we will be back around 12. Where is the Big Sky? Around 25/26? Yes we are a one bid league, but we are a lot closer to being a two bid then the BSC will ever be. Tournament. Yes, SF is not Las Vegas. Of course the SLT gets over 9,000 per session while the BSC in Reno see less then a 1,000 actual butts in the seat and the WAC gets just over 1,000 in Las Vegas. The MVC in St. Louis, minus WSU will draw less then the SLT next season. Dregs of D1? Look around you. The reason the Montana schools are not happy is they are stuck in a conference with a group of community colleges.

I do know my history, its why I, like so many laughed at the WAC FBS myth you ran with for years. Talk about embarrassing. I stick by it. You really do need to get a grip. The sky is not falling and you may not like it, but the Summit is stronger in athletics, facilities, and academics then the Big Sky.  Much, much stronger.

11 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

My guess is I'm older then you. Definitely more mature. The Summit doesn't reference that it is poor in play or facilities, because it isn't . IPFW does not have an impressive facility but they do have options. We don't play in HS gyms like they do in the Big Sky. Play? Even in a down year with SDSU struggling early the Summit was ahead of the Horizon and a top 15 league. Next season we will be back around 12. Where is the Big Sky? Around 25/26? Yes we are a one bid league, but we are a lot closer to being a two bid then the BSC will ever be. Tournament. Yes, SF is not Las Vegas. Of course the SLT gets over 9,000 per session while the BSC in Reno see less then a 1,000 actual butts in the seat and the WAC gets just over 1,000 in Las Vegas. The MVC in St. Louis, minus WSU will draw less then the SLT next season. Dregs of D1? Look around you. The reason the Montana schools are not happy is they are stuck in a conference with a group of community colleges.

I do know my history, its why I, like so many laughed at the WAC FBS myth you ran with for years. Talk about embarrassing. I stick by it. You really do need to get a grip. The sky is not falling and you may not like it, but the Summit is stronger in athletics, facilities, and academics then the Big Sky.  Much, much stronger.

The Slummit is structurally weak because most of the schools have possible options to leave.  Not referencing any Summit school as bad academically or facility wise.  Most Big Sky schools don't have anywhere to go.  Slummit schools can go if the Horizon and MVC or even OVC spots open up.  Why can't you comprehend that?  

The Slummit needs to pursue FBS with the Montanas and Idaho and  then would be perfectly stable after getting rid of ORU, IUPUI, IPFW, and W Ill, which want to leave anyway and may have options.  Then it would be a true Summit.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Slummit is structurally weak because most of the schools have possible options to leave.  Not referencing any Summit school as bad academically or facility wise.  Most Big Sky schools don't have anywhere to go.  Slummit schools can go if the Horizon and MVC or even OVC spots open up.  Why can't you comprehend that?  

The Slummit needs to pursue FBS with the Montanas and Idaho and  then would be perfectly stable after getting rid of ORU, IUPUI, IPFW, and W Ill, which want to leave anyway and may have options.  Then it would be a true Summit.

If those schools have options and want to leave, why are they still in the Summit?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jacksfan29 said:

Actually the WAC FBS scenario only lasted about a year with SV. Before that it was an NCAA rule change that would allow the Big Sky to move up to FBS on its own, and before that it was the Sun Belt that would transform the Big Sky schools to FBS. I may be forgetting a scenario or two along the way.

SV will never give up on spinning new myths as each myth is proven wrong.

• Upvote 2

If the Horizon League takes IPFW with or without IUPUI out of the Summit, baseball will only have 5 teams. Would the Summit, for baseball,  add either Northern Colorado (WAC affiliate) or go after Dallas Baptist (MVC affiliate) to get back to 6? Would UMKC return (no baseball)?

UND not in a position to add baseball, but Summit League's auto bid would be in danger if Ft Wayne leaves.

Just another reason to question the move to the Summit.

on another note... Since UND is not eligible to win conference titles next season in the Big Sky - if UND would happen to win either MBB or WBB, is there any chance the Hawks would get an at-large bid?

Just now, zonadub said:

If the Horizon League takes IPFW with or without IUPUI out of the Summit, baseball will only have 5 teams. Would the Summit, for baseball,  add either Northern Colorado (WAC affiliate) or go after Dallas Baptist (MVC affiliate) to get back to 6? Would UMKC return (no baseball)?

UND not in a position to add baseball, but Summit League's auto bid would be in danger if Ft Wayne leaves.

on another note... Since UND is not eligible to win conference titles next season in the Big Sky - if UND would happen to win either MBB or WBB, is there any chance the Hawks would get an at-large bid?

The Summit would be granted time to bring on baseball schools. I believe it is 2 years with likely additional time granted if progress is being shown. The NCAA will not be pulling the auto bid. I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Don't get sucked into the fear and hype thrown around by SiouxVolley. 

No, UND will not get an auto bid to the NCAA tournament. Not even close. Even on the Women's side. SDSU had a low 30s RPI on the Women's side this year, defeated multiple NCAA tourney qualifiers and were one of the first four out. UND, playing BSC schools will never be able to get an RPI that low, in Men's or Women's BB.

10 minutes ago, zonadub said:

They are eligible next year to win conference titles, once Basketball moves to the Summit, the Football team isn't eligible to win the conference title the two years following (which wouldn't matter, because if they win the league, they are getting an at large).

• Upvote 3

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/05/09/missouri-valley-considering-further-expansion-after-valparaiso-addition/

The MVC is still looking to add more teams later.  Valpo is an easy team to move now because they don't have to be scheduled for the MVC.  Right now the MVC sits at 10 for next year.  Murray St is not an easy school to add immediately for fb scheduling reasons.  Milwaukee and Murray St may be next.

23 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/2017/05/09/missouri-valley-considering-further-expansion-after-valparaiso-addition/

The MVC is still looking to add more teams later.  Valpo is an easy team to move now because they don't have to be scheduled for the MVC.  Right now the MVC sits at 10 for next year.  Murray St is not an easy school to add immediately for fb scheduling reasons.  Milwaukee and Murray St may be next.

no mention of the dakota 4 at all in this article.

36 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Quote from CBS is a bit different.  I don't know which is true, just quoting a source.

From the article below:

Sources also told CBS Sports that the Missouri Valley intends to remain at 10 teams for the forseeable future. Most coaches and athletic directors within the league prefer the 10-team format and schedule.

"No one wanted to go to 12," a source said. 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/missouri-valley-presidents-vote-for-valpo-to-replace-wichita-state-stay-at-10-teams/

22 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Quote from CBS is a bit different.  I don't know which is true, just quoting a source.

From the article below:

Sources also told CBS Sports that the Missouri Valley intends to remain at 10 teams for the forseeable future. Most coaches and athletic directors within the league prefer the 10-team format and schedule.

"No one wanted to go to 12," a source said. 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/missouri-valley-presidents-vote-for-valpo-to-replace-wichita-state-stay-at-10-teams/

The Mo St president was quoted in the other article.  Obviously, Mo St wants more southerly rivals and go to 12 and hence the desire for Murray St.  Mo St is the MVC school most likely to bolt if they are not kept satisfied.  If a football school is not added, the fb playing MVC schools may be livid. The private vs public divide is now 50/50.  These differing reports shown the deep divisions in the MVC, as both show what the reality is from different perspectives.  It's not a pleasant "unity."

Well Horizon is next....  my guess is PUFW and IUPUI are moving to the HL.

SL down to 8 and they need baseball - what do they do?  UNC and NMSU

Travel Partners

NMSU - ORU

UNC - DU

WIU-Omaha

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

32 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Well Horizon is next....  my guess is PUFW and IUPUI are moving to the HL.

SL down to 8 and they need baseball - what do they do?  UNC and NMSU

Travel Partners

NMSU - ORU

UNC - DU

WIU-Omaha

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

unc?...nonstarter

Seems the Mo St badly wants a nearby school as a travel partner.  The only ones within 4 hrs are UMKC, ORU, and UALR.  Mo St leads the expansion committee for at nine months to get to 12.  The other school that will likely be added is Murray St, which had by far a better resume than Valpo.  The Horizon's lead candidates seem to be IPFW, IUPUI, and Robert Morris.  There is talk the Horizon might go to 12 too.

When this is over, the MVC could take ORU, the Horizon takes IPFW and IUPUI, and the OVC takes WIU.  The Summit would need new teams to survive and not DII ones:  either NMSU, UNC, and UMKC (and the WAC dies) or Mont, Mont St, Idaho and EWU (and the Big Sky lives).