SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

But, IUPUI does not have baseball.  According to news reports last night the school had baseball.

Tony Paul reported that the school had baseball, and now says it doesn't.  The Horizon has six baseball teams now, so one more isn't needed right way.

IPFW and RMU could get the nods for the 11th and 12th spots for 2018-19, when both have new arenas.  IUPUI has to decide before July 1st, which is the NCAA deadline.  Paul is reporting that the Horizon AD'S now have two conference schedules, one with IUPUI.  Could mess with our volleyball schedule, as we play IUPUI and Green Bay in what a supposed non conference tournament for them.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/06/22/source-iupui-receives-horizon-league-invitation/103102686/

Come on Douple, go get the Montana schools.  We can make the football work out later.  A league with the Montana and Dakota schools as the linchpin and Sioux Falls for the tourney. 

A person can dream, but somehow they might just setting with the UNC, UMKC options.... maybe NMSU.

Say no to GCU, I don't care how improve that basketball program is, although I am a big fan of the coach.  They can stay in the land of WACky toys.

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If IUPUI to Horizon is true, you have to figure IPFW is now reconsidering why it is in the Summit.

The total shift of the league is towards the Dakota teams, and away from the upper midwest. Since IUPUI joined in 2007, teams that have left was Valpo, Centenary, Southern Utah, Oakland and UMKC. Maybe more teams in our area will join the Summit (more of the NCC 2.0), and more of an exit from the outliners (IPFW, and ORU).

When the MVC goes to 12 with Murray St and Milwaukee or UMKC or ORU, IPFW will be gone for sure.  IPFW probably wasn't picked first because IUPUI is an easy addition to the OVC.  The Horizon move to IUPUI first preserves IPFW for later.

The need for the Montanas, Idaho and EWU is becoming more evident by the day.

Imagine that ORU, W Ill, IPFW and maybe even Omaha are working the phones trying to get out of the Summit.

UND wouldn't move in unless there is a plan.

4 hours ago, zonadub said:

hope you are right about this

The Big Sky requires one year notice for Olympic Sports for no exit fee, but two years for football.

Why we have a three year football notice is a mystery.

But consider if the Montanas, Idaho and EWU all decide to join the Summit when east of the Mississippi River schools are gone, and that may happen by next June.  Those schools would need two years notice for Football, matching UND's exit date.

Kennedy has it all planned out.  The IP's and W Illinois never really wanted a part of the Dakotas but it was their only choice and the IP's have always been longing for the Horizon since moving up from DII.  A good chance they will all be adios before next June as well as ORU.  We will be in a Summit football league in three years and never see the MVFC.

The new Summit won't have enough teams for men's soccer or baseball, making football the saving grace for a continued autobid.

So, you saying the Summit will have football in 3 years and conference will have the following in 3 years:

Football

UND - NDSU

USD - SDSU

UM - MSU

EWU - UI (Idaho)

Non Football:

Denver, Omaha

And WIU, ORU and Fort Wayne with be gone by next June.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:21 PM, SiouxVolley said:

But consider if ..., and that may ... 

On 6/24/2017 at 10:30 AM, FSSD said:

So, you saying ... 

I don't think he's saying anything. Note the words "consider" and "may". He's putting out one plausible scenario based on current motion. Another plausible scenario would be IUPUI moves and that's the end of the motion. YMMV. 

Personally, I see conference moves like ripples on a pond. The AAC dropped a rock in the middle of the pond  ... 

• The AAC picks from the MVC (Wichita State).
  • Then the MVC picked the Horizon (Valpo).
  • And now it seem the Horizon has picked the Summit (IUPUI). 

What additional bobbing that happens at the edge of the pond is yet to be seen. 

Think their is a high probability of these subsequent moves:

The Horizon moves to 12 with IPFW and Robert Morris.  Both have new arenas coming aboard in 2019.  IPFW badly wants in now.

The MVC goes to 12 and  takes Murray St and Milwaukee.  Horizon needs to add another school now, so it takes SIU-E.

The OVC needs to replace two schools now so takes Western Illinois (which wanted to remain in the MVFC) and either Lindenwood or S Indiana.

The Summit is down to seven and for the first time in its history, is all west of the Mississippi River (and even a state further).

The Montanas, Idaho and EWU had better come, or the Summit is a world of hurt.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Think their is a high probability of these subsequent moves:

The Horizon moves to 12 with IPFW and Robert Morris.  Both have new arenas coming aboard in 2019.  IPFW badly wants in now.

The MVC goes to 12 and  takes Murray St and Milwaukee.  Horizon needs to add another school now, so it takes SIU-E.

The OVC needs to replace two schools now so takes Western Illinois (which wanted to remain in the MVFC) and either Lindenwood or S Indiana.

The Summit is down to seven and for the first time in its history, is all west of the Mississippi River (and even a state further).

The mankatos, st clouds and umd had better come, or the Summit is a world of hurt.

fixed...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

There's even less chance of the xDSUs and UxDs moving down than of the MnSCUs moving up. 

If the Summit was going to depend on DII moveups, it's already too late.  The transition time is longer than the NCAA grace period.

The Summit needed to have DII call ups a couple of years ago.  They didn't.  If UND wanted or expected UMD, St Cloud St, and Mankato in the Summit, never would have dropped WIH but would have dropped softball.  WIH is a chain around the neck of those schools.  They have to drop it to go DI, but then Minnesota would call out hell on them.

The only other options are UMKC and No Colo.

The IUPUI athletic department has sent out tweets that there will be a big announcement Wednesday morning at 10 ET.

IUPUI looks to be Horizon bound for this season, just barely beating the July 1st deadline.

The Summit will be officially at eight members July 1st

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The IUPUI athletic department has sent out tweets that there will be a big announcement Wednesday morning at 10 ET.

IUPUI looks to be Horizon bound for this season, just barely beating the July 1st deadline.

The Summit will be officially at eight members July 1st

I hope Kennedy has a plan as i am starting to get nervous.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I hope Kennedy has a plan as i am starting to get nervous.

Went on egriz this weekend and told them that the Montanas, Idaho and EWU were heading for the Summit.  They blew up at me and said Montana can't afford the travel and a switch like that would harm recruiting, as they can kiss Oregon and California recruits goodbye.  The MWC is the only possible move they exclaimed.  Responded that the the MWC is so far out of their financial range and they needed to be in a DII league for cost containment and lower travel like like their old AD said would be needed.

It's been moved to their smack board now as they obviously just thought I was trolling . I was serious.

Remind me again why UND is moving to the summit/mvfc...

i recall hearing "stabilize" the summit.  Cuz the constantly revolving door will shut once we're in there.

travel savings....  well I guess if we have nobody left to play that should cut down on travel substantially. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So how soon does the Horizon decide to add their 2 members to get to 12 and now how soon does the Summit react.  Will this more than likely mean another team or two will come in with UND in 18-19?

The Horizon Commissioner LeCrone has been talking 12 teams for 18-19, so they have to move to add two more within a year.  He has even talked about 14 teams later, which may target Omaha, UMKC and Oral Roberts.  Getting the northern Big Sky seems key to the Summit's survival.  If the Montanas and Idaho move, the Summit would be very stable as no other league wants those small state flagship schools in the American Outback.

At least the Summit is not on watch for its mbb autobid yet.  It has 8 for mbb, 6 for baseball, and 6 for men's soccer (E Ill is an affiliate).  Since UND doesn't have those two other sports, it must start both to keep the bid once IPFW goes. Guess UND can start them both, but we'd have to sponsor two more women's sports.  Far cheaper for the Summit to start sponsoring football, but it needs more teams.