SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

12 hours ago, UND-1 said:

They even dropped big, bad Football before the move to D1 and still are worse off than most athletic departments.  

is trev's seat a little....hot?  dropping football and WRASSLIN' wasn't too popular but he promised them major mid major status and that hasn't happened yet...they did get  site visit from the mvc but it sound like they weren't too impressed.

and he paid blais hak money for similar hak results...

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

They didn't even get Hakstol results. They got one Frozen Four in how many seasons.

expectations versus results...i think that most uno fans after seeing uno hire dean thought multiple natty's...and got zero just like hak.

• Upvote 1

An article in the JMU student newspaper includes quotes from administrators that an FBS move could be considered. 

With Liberty getting an FBS waiver, so can JMU, as they have the stadium and support for it.  JMU sure doesnt want to fall behind nearby Liberty.  Think several CAA schools will move up at the same time, making scheduling easier and cheaper.

http://www.breezejmu.org/sports/football/

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Here is my dream conference:

North Dakota

Montana State

Montana

Eastern Washington

Weber State

Idaho

Idaho St

Northern Colorado

Cal Poly

UC Davis

Sacramento State

Portland State

Northern Arizona

Southern Utah

Like that one a lot! Well done Bin!

Idaho's AD Rob Spear answered some questions like a year or more ago that would lead me to believe that the Montanas, Idaho and EWU will move to tSL.  

Q-Speaking about a G5 -P5 split.  You've said for years that you want to position Idaho to be in the second tier with the rest of the G5 schools.  Do you feel that is Idaho's best position to be in moving forward?

A.  "I do.  I think it's in the second tier with schools that like academic missions and like research missions similar to our university.  That is Idaho's best fit.  I think that's where we belongo, to surround ourselves with like academic missions and great research programs.  In some cases they are land-grant institutions and the flagship institutions of their state.  That our long-term vision, to align ourselves that way. In the second tier group of 5."

In another interview, he stated the Dakotas were like institutions that Idaho would like as conference mates.

Since Idaho had an out of the Big Sky contract if the Montanas and UND were gone, that's another data point that shows Idaho sees the Dakotas and Montanas as a core of a conference.  When the IUPU's and W Ill are finally gone from the tSL, think Idaho will move over on the condition that everyone seeks FBS.

24 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Idaho's AD Rob Spear answered some questions like a year or more ago that would lead me to believe that the Montanas, Idaho and EWU will move to tSL.  

Q-Speaking about a G5 -P5 split.  You've said for years that you want to position Idaho to be in the second tier with the rest of the G5 schools.  Do you feel that is Idaho's best position to be in moving forward?

A.  "I do.  I think it's in the second tier with schools that like academic missions and like research missions similar to our university.  That is Idaho's best fit.  I think that's where we belongo, to surround ourselves with like academic missions and great research programs.  In some cases they are land-grant institutions and the flagship institutions of their state.  That our long-term vision, to align ourselves that way. In the second tier group of 5."

In another interview, he stated the Dakotas were like institutions that Idaho would like as conference mates.

Since Idaho had an out of the Big Sky contract if the Montanas and UND were gone, that's another data point that shows Idaho sees the Dakotas and Montanas as a core of a conference.  When the IUPU's and W Ill are finally gone from the tSL, think Idaho will move over on the condition that everyone seeks FBS.

In the same interview, which was published a month and a half before Idaho decided to join the Big Sky in football, the AD said this:

The most likely scenario, with the fewest moving parts and obstacles, seems to be the Big Sky splitting into two groups where some compete at the FBS level and some compete at the FCS level. Is that accurate? Is this at all possible between now and 2020? If so, when would that process have to start?
RS: “Again, nothing is off the table. However, I would never try and put a timeline to that type of discussion and any outcome from those discussions.”

The funny part about that is you actually did put a timeline to that type of discussion and the outcome.  And it was horribly wrong!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, southpaw said:

In the same interview, which was published a month and a half before Idaho decided to join the Big Sky in football, the AD said this:

The most likely scenario, with the fewest moving parts and obstacles, seems to be the Big Sky splitting into two groups where some compete at the FBS level and some compete at the FCS level. Is that accurate? Is this at all possible between now and 2020? If so, when would that process have to start?
RS: “Again, nothing is off the table. However, I would never try and put a timeline to that type of discussion and any outcome from those discussions.”

The funny part about that is you actually did put a timeline to that type of discussion and the outcome.  And it was horribly wrong!

So the Big Sky is going to find 6 schools that can afford to jump up to FBS?  Good luck!!  Only schools that have a remote chance of being able to do it are Idaho (because they have done it before) and Montana.  No other school is even close to baing able to afford it.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Yeah, all the time you were arguing that everything wouldn't change and the Big Sky and Summit would stay the same.  

Are you still sticking with that thought or you attacking anyone who thinks differently? And actually makes you think?

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Yeah, all the time you were arguing that everything wouldn't change and the Big Sky and Summit would stay the same.  

Are you still sticking with that thought or you attacking anyone who thinks differently? And actually makes you think?

It's not surprising you read something into what others didn't say.  I would love for you to post where I said nothing would change.  Thinking the Big Sky won't move to FBS via the WAC does not equal thinking everything will stay the same.

While it's a long-shot, I actually think the Great North or whatever people are calling it is a fantastic idea and I could see it happening.  The difference between you and me is that I'm not saying it's going to happen by 2020.

Ten teams with good travel partners make sense.

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

Denver-Portland ST or Northern Colorado 

Montana -Montana ST

Idaho -EWU

basketball tournament rotate between Brookings and Spokane gives half the conference a drivable option every other year.

That is the reason for Portland St new arena football stadium being expanded to 26k .

Big underserved Metro easy cheap flight to Denver.

28k students 26th biggest metro 2.4 million add to that Spokane and Denver and they offset the small population states.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MJG said:

Ten teams with good travel partners make sense.

UND-NDSU

USD-SDSU

Denver-Portland ST or Northern Colorado 

Montana -Montana ST

Idaho -EWU

basketball tournament rotate between Brookings and Spokane gives half the conference a drivable option every other year.

That is the reason for Portland St new arena football stadium being expanded to 26k .

Big underserved Metro easy cheap flight to Denver.

28k students 26th biggest metro 2.4 million add to that Spokane and Denver and they offset the small population states.

We agree on concept and that it will happen, but I think a deal has been done with the Big Sky to not take more than 4 schools for 5 years.  The rumor was that the other Big Sky schools didn't want  the XDSU's because they thought eventually the Montanas and them would go off on their own and form a new league.  Guess they were right (although it's not a strictly new league).

As you can see here, there are many skeptics of this "Great Northern" league, but it's just too compelling for the University Presidents not to get it done.

FYI, it was yours truly that first coined that conference name, "The Big North Conference" and its variations, Big Northern, Great North, Great Northern.  I will forego any royalties if it ever happens, I'll just be do happy.  I've also got dibs on "The Great Midwest Conference".

Big North Conference - all sports

USD
SDSU
NDSU
UND
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Idaho State ( or Portland St or UNC)
Eastern Washington
Denver (non-football)

Great Midwest Conference - all sports

USD
SDSU
NDSU
UND
UNI
WIU
SIU
ISUr
ISUb
MSU

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

FYI, it was yours truly that first coined that conference name, "The Big North Conference" and its variations, Big Northern, Great North, Great Northern.  I will forego any royalties if it ever happens, I'll just be do happy.  I've also got dibs on "The Great Midwest Conference".

Big North Conference - all sports

USD
SDSU
NDSU
UND
Montana
Montana State
Idaho
Idaho State ( or Portland St or UNC)
Eastern Washington
Denver (non-football)

Great Midwest Conference - all sports

USD
SDSU
NDSU
UND
UNI
WIU
SIU
ISUr
ISUb
MSU

I am a big fan of this Big North idea. For selfish reasons I would want UNC in there but DU and UNC would have to act like adults and figure out how to get along with each other.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

any news from tempe still?  asu gonna go another year as an indy?

There is a fan of theirs on USCHO that said he believes they are waiting for the arena to be finalized then a conference. He was thinking that after the meetings in Naples that ASU would join the WCHA. He said that he heard the WCHA wants ASU to pay travel costs for the members of the WCHA to come to Tempe. I still believe they end up in the NCHC. The rumor now is that Utah will add hockey now that they added lacrosse.

On 6/16/2017 at 7:15 PM, cberkas said:

There is a fan of theirs on USCHO that said he believes they are waiting for the arena to be finalized then a conference. He was thinking that after the meetings in Naples that ASU would join the WCHA. He said that he heard the WCHA wants ASU to pay travel costs for the members of the WCHA to come to Tempe. I still believe they end up in the NCHC. The rumor now is that Utah will add hockey now that they added lacrosse.

What is the source?  A Utah poster said the same, that Utah would add hockey.

An unidentified school has been offered a Horizon spot - know in two weeks if it will accept

Must have baseball - which eliminates IUPUI, Robert Morris

Likely IPFW - chance it is Grand Canyon and SIU-E.  The following story is wrong about IPFW splitting in half, as it will be renamed Purdue U-FW (PUFW).  There will be an IU-FW, but it will just be a small college of health sciences.

Would be surprised if SIU-E left the OVC, as their one champion sport got in the MAC as men's soccer affiliate, and the MAC has power teams like Akron and WVU in that sport.  SIU-E has an old barn for mbb, while IPFW will move into a new downtown arena in 2018 or 2019.  Illinois' government is near crippled now, so SIU-E spending on exit and entry fees wouldn't go down well.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/06/21/horizon-extends-invitation-unidentified-school/103076944/

As the Slummit Turns.  Needs to get rid of IUPUI and W Ill next and then would be the Summit

An Illinois St fan says Murray St will join the Horizon this year and IUPUI and IPFW next.  Not sure what Murray St is going to do with their football, presumably play in the OVC this year and MVFC next, so the Horizon will go to 12.  That would leave the Summit at 8, and if W Illinois moves to the OVC, the Summit will be down to seven.  Need to get EWU, the Montanas and Idaho in soon.