SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2011

gfhockey

The only thing I question is the fact that the writer says that the WHL team has had discussions with the BLUES not with Schwartz. I don't know where the kid's head is at, but I just don't know if he would bolt for the W. Maybe for the NHL, but not the W. But what the heck do I know....

Ya, the Blues have a history of patience with their prospects, so I would be surprised if this happened. Thought it was interesting that discussions have even take place though, especially with how Oshie developed in the WCHA.

The Wild were turned off by Read's age and he turned down a two way offer from Columbus last yr. Hes doing well with the Phantoms. GWG in his second game.

I think the Wild made a mistake by not going after Read, they could use all the prospects they can get.

Also Nyquist of Maine forgoes his Senior season and signs with the Red Wings.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/03/25/maines-nyquist-signs-with-red-wings/

On a sidenote, man am I thankful the season turned out a bit better than the weekend in Maine.

That weekend was partly the Sioux, but a lot of it was diving Maine players and the refs listening to the home crowd too much, in my opinion.

The Wild did. But it's my understanding they wouldn't give him a one-way deal. Which is smart if they're planning to have a fire sale and then just see what happens.

Completely agree, very smart deal on the Wild's part. Yes, Read might turn out to be a solid 4th line pro, but as a GM I wouldn't give him a 1 way contact.

There is some speculation that Jaden Schwartz may be bolting CC for Tri-City of the WHL.....linky below.

My link

This is just speculation, but it does come from one of the Blues more credible beat writers, huge loss for CC if it happens though.

It bugs me when they say in college your schedule isn't as busy. But they forget about the character development and strength training. If the Blues want him to get physically ready for the NHL, keep him at CC for another season.

I don't think the Blues are too concerned about which route Jaden takes, considering their team is held up by college talent.

This whole argument about CHL vs College hockey is just getting old. Both have pros and cons. Having seen 5+ games of the WHL in person, particular in Tri-Cities and Spokane the players aren't nearly as strong (physically) in the CHL as they are in college hockey. Players are given far more time and space, where as college hockey is far more physically demanding.

You can't tell me that the WCHA schedule, classroom, weight room time, and practice are so important for player development.

More is not always better, thats the problem with today's society.

What do you all think?

Is playing 90 games and practicing 100 times better than playing 45 games and practicing/weight lifting 150 times?

Have fun in the AHL. Denver should still have a pretty strong team next year if they can keep the rest of their underclassmen.

I don't think Donovan will spend a lot of time in the AHL. He has the skills to play at the top level and imo he will do so for most of next season.

This whole argument about CHL vs College hockey is just getting old. Both have pros and cons. Having seen 5+ games of the WHL in person, particular in Tri-Cities and Spokane the players aren't nearly as strong (physically) in the CHL as they are in college hockey. Players are given far more time and space, where as college hockey is far more physically demanding.

You can't tell me that the WCHA schedule, classroom, weight room time, and practice are so important for player development.

More is not always better, thats the problem with today's society.

What do you all think?

Is playing 90 games and practicing 100 times better than playing 45 games and practicing/weight lifting 150 times?

Biggest difference is age...the oldest players in the CHL are generally the same age as the youngest at many NC$$ programs. Obviously there are exceptions, and J. Schwartz is one of them.

I contend that the CHL is the best route for the extremely skilled, top-end players who go major junior at 16. I contend the NC$$ route is better for late bloomers and for most players who aren't in that ultra-elite tier. The WJC is always the great tell from my perspective.

Last point- CHL was the route back in the day when Canada was virtually the exclusive creator of NHL talent. Now, more top-end talent is coming from the US and many of those kids naturally gravitate to the NC$$.

That weekend was partly the Sioux, but a lot of it was diving Maine players and the refs listening to the home crowd too much, in my opinion.

Excuses are like....

Sioux didn't come to play that weekend, bottom line. Refs sway games, but still teams have the power to change the final touches. We got worked in Maine that weekend. Example Friday night Maine were 3/10 on the PP. 3 of the 7 goals scored against us were on a man advantage. The refs excuse is exactly that, an excuse for not showing up and turning things around.

I don't think Donovan will spend a lot of time in the AHL. He has the skills to play at the top level and imo he will do so for most of next season.

I think he will make the nhl, just not next year. I thought he looked really good last year but didn't really notice him this year in about 5 Pioneer games I watched. I have no idea what kind of depth the islanders have on d, but if Brendan Smith has'nt made it yet I don't see him making it.

I think he will make the nhl, just not next year. I thought he looked really good last year but didn't really notice him this year in about 5 Pioneer games I watched. I have no idea what kind of depth the islanders have on d, but if Brendan Smith has'nt made it yet I don't see him making it.

the only times I've noticed Donovan is when he skates in our zone around ALL our D, goes around the net and scores. :glare:

I liken Donovan to a guy like Taylor Chorney. Good skill and can provide input offensively, but just doesn't have the size to jump right into the NHL. Give him a year or two (or more) in the AHL and he may get there. If Taylor is struggling for time, Donovan won't jump right in either.

I liken Donovan to a guy like Taylor Chorney. Good skill and can provide input offensively, but just doesn't have the size to jump right into the NHL. Give him a year or two (or more) in the AHL and he may get there. If Taylor is struggling for time, Donovan won't jump right in either.

Speaking of Chorney (and maybe this should go in the Fomer Player thread, but your post reminded me of it)...there's a documentary on NHL Network that's on every so often called "Oil Change". It's a behind the scenes look at the Oiler organization throughout the year, and it has been very interesting to watch. Chorney has gotten some time on there lately - they showed some footage of their AHL club and talked about guys getting called up, etc. I'd reccomend watching it if you get a chance.

The Chicago Blackhawks announced that the AHL's Rockford IceHogs have signed Boston College junior right wing Jimmy Hayes an amateur tryout agreement.

These types of early departures, to me, are the height of idiocy on the part of the player.

Bolting early for an NHL contract is one thing... but for an ATO for a minor pro squad? REALLY?

That's dumb!

Hayes could get the same deal if he waited one more year and finished out his collegiate career! Heck, his senior year might have been good enough to garner a deal with an NHL club!

I hope Hayes makes the Ice Hogs. If he doesn't, he just blew it big time.

These types of early departures, to me, are the height of idiocy on the part of the player.

Bolting early for an NHL contract is one thing... but for an ATO for a minor pro squad? REALLY?

That's dumb!

Hayes could get the same deal if he waited one more year and finished out his collegiate career! Heck, his senior year might have been good enough to garner a deal with an NHL club!

I believe they give the players out of college an ATO so that their few days/weeks of this season's play won't count towards their three season/years on the entry level deal. I believe it's part of the CBA.

That's dumb!

Correction: he signed a contract , but in order for it not to kick in until next season, the ATO comes into place so he can play out the remainder of the season with Rockford. Vandy had an ATO last year with the their affiliate, his contract kicked in that fall. So essentially you sign a contract and an ATO so you can play the rest of the season without it getting taken off the books.

EDIT: yeah! What Goon said. :lol:

So what does every think the chances are that Gregoire decides to forgo his senior season? Considering that the New York Islanders own his draft rights..my guess is that him leaving early is above 50%.

Who are the other big possibilities of leaving early?