SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2011

gfhockey

Hextall...really?

where do you read this? HF board?

Schlossman said via Twitter that he was pursuing some Hextall rumors. Here's his tweet:

Re: Hextall rumors. Been working for two days to get something confirmed, but haven't gotten anything. I know PHX is after him.

College Hockey doesn't exactly sell advertisements either, to be fair to KFAN. It sucks for us diehard puck fans but most would rather talk vikings year round. Cardinal is awesome. Maybe they could get Schlossman on there once in awhile. The best puck talk is Bernie's show on Saturday morning on 740 followed by Beyond the Pond. But usually folks have things going on Saturdays at that time of day.

Schlossman said via Twitter that he was pursuing some Hextall rumors. Here's his tweet:

Re: Hextall rumors. Been working for two days to get something confirmed, but haven't gotten anything. I know PHX is after him.

Here's a link to an interview with Brad Treliving, VP of Hockey Operations and Assistant GM with the Coyotes:

Treliving Interview

At about the 12 minute mark, he's asked about college prospects in their system who might be coming next year. Regarding Hextall, he says "Hextall is a player who, in the next day or so, we're trying to get done .... so he'll be coming out."

Here's a link to an interview with Brad Treliving, VP of Hockey Operations and Assistant GM with the Coyotes:

Treliving Interview

At about the 12 minute mark, he's asked about college prospects in their system who might be coming next year. Regarding Hextall, he says "Hextall is a player who, in the next day or so, we're trying to get done .... so he'll be coming out."

Very disappointing. Did not see that coming at all.

Treliving Interview

I've seen many a college player leave a year early and never make it to the big league. imo, Hextall isn't ready. Why leave college to skate in the AHL or lower?

If Hextall does leave I think the major reason could be the injuries he has battled since he got here and figures it could be now or never to get a decent payday. that said I'm not sure I see him making it to the big club anytime soon. as much as I hate this time of the season and kids leaving early, you can't blame them. if someone came to me when I was 21 or 22 with a huge paycheck to come work for them and leave school a year or two early I would have jumped.

If Hextall does leave I think the major reason could be the injuries he has battled since he got here and figures it could be now or never to get a decent payday. that said I'm not sure I see him making it to the big club anytime soon. as much as I hate this time of the season and kids leaving early, you can't blame them. if someone came to me when I was 21 or 22 with a huge paycheck to come work for them and leave school a year or two early I would have jumped.

Just for the record Hexy is 23...

don't know if hexy signs, but you can't blame him if he does. as sioux fans, we want all our guys here for 4 years. but for some of these guys, especially if they come in a year or two older, there is a finite number of productive years in any professional sport, even moreso in hockey. if he does go, i wish him the best, he is a true sioux! but.... might as well come back for a senior season and lead this next sioux team on another deep run (and finally #8!). same with gregiore, didn't he have a year or two of ushl? wouldn't be surprised to see him go, but boy this team could be stacked again if everyone comes back. Sioux for #8 in Tampa!!!

If I'm Hextall I take the opportunity and sign. That's been his dream and when they want him sign now.

That being said, it'll be a tough loss considering the leadership factor and the culture that Hexy helped foster here will be tough to replace.

I am pretty sure I am right. I feel like he should not leave. While its smart because you get paid to play. He is not even close to being NHL ready, especially bolting early.

I would disagree with that statement. He is good in the corners, can effectively clog the neutral zone, can chip in some offense, is an effective two-way player, and can get under opposing teams skin. I think we forget how on multiple occasions he completely changed the play of DU and Minnesota just by his yapping and aggressive play. He will be up with phoenix on a 4th line role at some point next year as he is not that far off. He will never be a top 6 player but he will be an effective grinder in today's NHL. I think we should be a bit classier about players who decide to leave after their Junior year and not knock them down for all the reasons it won't work. We were so good this year because of our incredible depth. Blood, Kristo, Gregoire, and Hexy are all developed enough to be playing in the NHL at some point next year.

Anybody want to bet dell leaves?

Nope, he has only been the starter for 1 season, he needs to do it another year before a team will take a chance. If he does a similar job next year though he will be gone, it is just very very rare for un-drafted goalies that are only sophomores to leave.

I would disagree with that statement. He is good in the corners, can effectively clog the neutral zone, can chip in some offense, is an effective two-way player, and can get under opposing teams skin. I think we forget how on multiple occasions he completely changed the play of DU and Minnesota just by his yapping and aggressive play. He will be up with phoenix on a 4th line role at some point next year as he is not that far off. He will never be a top 6 player but he will be an effective grinder in today's NHL. I think we should be a bit classier about players who decide to leave after their Junior year and not knock them down for all the reasons it won't work. We were so good this year because of our incredible depth. Blood, Kristo, Gregoire, and Hexy are all developed enough to be playing in the NHL at some point next year.

You make some great points. He does however need more time in the weightroom and some more work on all of those things. He is effective against college teams, but how will he do against bigger and faster players in the NHL with his size? I have seen bursts of speed and really good play but can he do it consistently enough to make a spot on an NHL roster and maintain that spot. Personally I say no not yet, he still needs to learn. But when he does leave I will support him and not hold it against him. Why not just stay in school another year and develop more as a player with the help of coaches who do a pretty good job of developing players.