SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in the Mankato paper over the weekend. "Downtown Mankato: One drunk short of a riot"

After being around the downtown Mankato area this weekend, I could easily see a riot occuring. Drunk idiots everywhere!

There have also been a couple of recent deaths related to alcohol according to a couple of the locals we talked with. A few weeks ago a Woman celebrating her 21st b-day died from alcohol poisoning. There was also a 50-something year old man who fell from the 4th floor at the Holiday Inn and died. We were visiting with a bartender from McGoff's on Saturday and he said he had cut that gentleman off the night before.

Personally I saw many people celebrating, having a good time. I never personally felt threatened or in danger even though I wore a Sioux jersey for most of the weekend. I actually enjoy the setup they have in Mankato as the arena, motel, bars, and restaurants are all within walking distance. Not as good as Madison, but still a very fun trip!

I don't doubt any of the stories on here about Mankato fans, but thought I would share that I spent all day Saturday in my Sioux sweatshirt in Mankato, at the game and the bars, and I didn't hear one negative word said in my direction. The Mankato fans seemed pretty tame to me.

I don't doubt any of the stories on here about Mankato fans, but thought I would share that I spent all day Saturday in my Sioux sweatshirt in Mankato, at the game and the bars, and I didn't hear one negative word said in my direction. The Mankato fans seemed pretty tame to me.

I actually showed up at the Mankato booster event before the game on Friday night. I was with three other people, two buddies and a friend of a friend (who is a Mankato season ticket holder). He told me there was free beer and that it was a similar arrangement to what Duluth has at the DECC. So I anticipated other Sioux fans to be there as well having a little pregame. As it turned out, this was not the case. We walked in at 7:05 pm and my two buddies and I were the only Sioux fans. My one friend said "you gotta be kidding" and walked out immediately. I decided to stay. We did get several looks as we walked in, including the person who was speaking. He actually stopped speaking for a second or two when we walked in. The speaker was Coach Jutting himself, which I found odd...he talked until almost 7:20 pm and game time was at 7:37. He was actually taking questions from the crowd...I was pretty tempted to ask at which point in the game would he match Bruess' line with Kaip's line, but thought better of it. Only one comment about no serving "Don't serve Sioux fans"...but other than that, nobody said anything.

It was my first time visiting MSU for a Sioux game. My family and the group that I was with had a great time. Everyone was very nice and we did not have any problems. If you have not been to MSU for a Sioux game you are missing a good time. In fact, everyone talked about making this an annual trip. Easy drive from the Twin Cities and the setup is great - Arena, Hotel, Bars are in one area.... Ole Ole!!!!!!!

It was my first time visiting MSU for a Sioux game. My family and the group that I was with had a great time. Everyone was very nice and we did not have any problems. If you have not been to MSU for a Sioux game you are missing a good time. In fact, everyone talked about making this an annual trip. Easy drive from the Twin Cities and the setup is great - Arena, Hotel, Bars are in one area.... Ole Ole!!!!!!!

I think I am going to have to go one of these times, my friend went and had a really good time. Stayed on Sioux Rd.

I especially liked the "Ole Ole" the Sioux fans in the corner did as a salute to the Green/white after the game Saturday night. It was a good visiting team stick salute from the fans.

We did have fun with that cheer. Not sure the 500 Club in Mankato liked it Saturday night. :glare:

99% of Mankato fans treated us great. Meet some at the brewery in New Ulm and they invited us to meet at BW3. After the game we were bought shots and had fans come up and talk to us. The occasional Sioux suck was said maybe 3 times by a idiot passing in the bar. What looked like a Mankato football player came up to us and said if anybody gives you any crap let me know. Great experience in Mankato. :D

Didn't know where else to put this and didn't think it deserved its own thread, so since it happened the same weekend as our Mankato game I'll put it here....

One of last years Hobey Baker finalists, Eric Ehn, will miss the rest of this season from a leg injury. Definitely a disappointment for Air Force and the rest of college hockey. They are one of those teams that can beat anyone if they play well.

Didn't know where else to put this and didn't think it deserved its own thread, so since it happened the same weekend as our Mankato game I'll put it here....

One of last years Hobey Baker finalists, Eric Ehn, will miss the rest of this season from a leg injury. Definitely a disappointment for Air Force and the rest of college hockey. They are one of those teams that can beat anyone if they play well.

yeah total bummer to see that happened to him. i think he was gona ask for a special leave to persue to pro hockey career from the air force so i hope this isnt career threatining for him. met him last year at the hobey. very cool guy.

Y9u are obviously a Forney family as every post you make is to have Forney in the game Maybe Hak sees something in Davidson that he doesn't see in Forney

No I am not part of the Forney family but I just find it hard to believe that Forney a 4th round pick and a guy that was highly recruited by the Goofs can't beat out a recruited walk on with no puck skills like Davidson.

I thought the idiots were in the student section at the Artist Formerly Known As Midwest Wireless Civic Center. Thanks to my next-to-the-student section tickets, I was treated to the following catchy cheers:

F*** the Sioux!

Sioux's a girl's name!

You f***in' cheat!

and, the all-time classic...

Hang the Sioux!

Given Mankato's sad history with treatment of Indians, I was especially unnerved by the last chant.

Mankato Sioux Indians Hanging

While I enjoy a good road trip and Mankato is an easy ticket for Sioux fans, sometimes, it takes everything in me to not go punch some moron in the face. The one saving point for last night's game was the student behind me yelling "WHAT A PATHETIC POWER PLAY!" two seconds before the Sioux scored a goal on that very same power play. Hilarious.

Good sweep for the Sioux. Let's keep things rollin' vs UAA next weekend!

I was at the Friday night game and did not see any different behavior than that of Sioux students during the Goofer series. I was at the Sat night Goofer game at the Ralph and the students were starting the Fuc* the Gophers chant before the flag was even retired after the national anthem.....

I was at the Friday night game and did not see any different behavior than that of Sioux students during the Goofer series. I was at the Sat night Goofer game at the Ralph and the students were starting the Fuc* the Gophers chant before the flag was even retired after the national anthem.....

Classless and embarassing especially since the game was televised. I thought our ushers (student police) were suppose to put a stop to that kind of chant. This chant is heard EVERYWHERE especially against the Goofy's. You'd think that college students could come up with something a bit more creative.

Go Sioux!!

Classless and embarassing especially since the game was televised. I thought our ushers (student police) were suppose to put a stop to that kind of chant. This chant is heard EVERYWHERE especially against the Goofy's. You'd think that college students could come up with something a bit more creative.

Go Sioux!!

I can't comment on the UND-UM game and the "F-The-Gophers" chant cause I don't remember hearing it on TV...But what do you expect REA to do in that situation? They can't play music to drown out the students because it will look tacky and un-professional in regards to REA for not respecting the national anthem and the National Guard personnel that carried the flags that night. And you know 4 ushers are not going to get 2,000+ students to sit down and be quiet. Let's be realistic. It was obviously uncalled for, but you have to move on.

As for the Mankato chant of "F-The-Sioux", at least REA or the band doesn't start the background music to accompany the "F-The-Gophers" like they did at Mankato.

From what I recall, the beat goes "F-The-Sioux"...beat, beat, beat/beat/beat...and repeat.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't comment on the UND-UM game and the "F-The-Gophers" chant cause I don't remember hearing it on TV...But what do you expect REA to do in that situation? They can't play music to drown out the students because it will look tacky and un-professional in regards to REA for not respecting the national anthem and the National Guard personnel that carried the flags that night. And you know 4 ushers are not going to get 2,000+ students to sit down and be quiet. Let's be realistic. It was obviously uncalled for, but you have to move on.

As for the Mankato chant of "F-The-Sioux", at least REA or the band doesn't start the background music to accompany the "F-The-Gophers" like they did at Mankato.

From what I recall, the beat goes "F-The-Sioux"...beat, beat, beat/beat/beat...and repeat.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The flag isn't retired yet and the students are chanting EF the Gophers.

As for moving on, what the heck does that mean? I responded to DAR's post. Profanity at sports events is an ongoing problem. Don't go telling me I have to move on!!! :D

I took my family to both games in Mankato, and plan on going back next year. Students are what they are, both there and here. Older drunken fans are what they are, again both there and here.

All that aside, I was part of a fun hockey atmosphere with the Mankato crowd. There was some healthy ribbing of the other team, and some good hockey conversation too. The fans I sat by were pretty cool, and fun to visit with.

Much to the chagrin of many on this board, IMO they have the best goal song in college hockey. Not that the song is that great, but EVERYONE in the building participates. Hell... I was about to get into it with their 3rd Sat goal. I wish we had something like that.

nutshell point: the few bad apples argument

I love a good rowdy crowd as much as the next guy - but seriously - when that flag is on the ice, shut up. To tell you the truth - I don't even like it when our fans shout "sioux" in place of "brave" at the end of the anthem. Call me what you will - but those things are disrespecting some ideals that ought not be effed with. Once the anthem is over and flag is retired, shout whatever you want.

Go Sioux!!

what are you gona do? a usher :D the cops arent gona throw the wholw student section out of the game. its up to them to not say it but as soon as it starts its not stopping. ive heard it every sioux/gopher game ive been at